• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pyro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2018
    Indy
    This - "The big advantage that the G22 brings is that with a barrel / mag swap you can shoot 9mm, 40, and 357 Sig."
    All of my other Glocks are 9, or the one 22lr for training the girls. But I keep a Glock22 Gen2 with 40 / 40to9 / 40to357sig barrels and ammo in the go box.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Would anyone be willing to give an assessment of the Glock mod. 22 in 40 S&W. I would like especially to hear about reliability, investment potential, or any negative aspects you may be aware of. And thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
    I am not on INGO all that often but I get updates in my email.

I saw your posting and decided as a new G22 Gen5 MOS owner and a first time Glock owner to boot, why not.

I am not a Glock expert but I just purchased my first Glock. Glock G22 Gen 5 MOS from FourGuns in Lafayette. I wanted a back up to my summer EDC (FNP-40). I also wanted an optic mount platform that didn't require sending the slide out to be milled.

Overall, after putting 50+ rounds down range and getting the Holosun 507K sighted in at 10 yards, the FNP-40 in now the bump in the night go too.
    Trigger pull is around 5 lbs with a longer reset. It is a stock trigger and no plans to upgrade it.
    The sights are excellent on the Gen5 MOS. Fiber optic with tritium.

Know this, the optic plates that came with firearm didn't match my needs to I ordered a optic plate that fits the Holosun.

Others have responded with comments about the availability of 40S&W. I have not found that to be an issue online. I have purchased over 700 range rounds and 60 rounds of defensive ammunition within the last year and the cost is much less than the 45ACP that I purchase.
    I run into more issues finding 45ACP rounds and even more so with 45LC.

I like the reduced recoil compared to my 45ACP pistols (1911 and Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle III) and harder punch compared to 9mm. I shoot all of those rounds and each has it's strengths and weakness.

The Glock is perfectly fine if you can secure one for a reasonable price (what ever you believe to be a reasonable price).

TheWiredFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Not an expert, but I was under the impression the Glocks in 40SW were designed around 9mm, then barreled up. Over time, this can cause frame issues/cracks from the 40SW beating it up.
    I have also heard a comment along these lines from one of James Yeager's videos. The 40SW just breaks things.

In a low usage environment, you are not likely to have issues. However, take a 1000 round training class and you might see some issues.

If you are looking for an "upgrade," the general concensus (of INGO scientists) will say 9mm, but you already have a stockpile of 40sw.

I'm under the impression that S&W M&P handguns are designed around 40sw then barreled down to 9mm. I dont have any particular references to give you on this, though. One might call that an "upgrade." And my thoughts would be to get an M2.0 for the better trigger over the first version.

You shouldn't really have any issues with what you have, though.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Thanks for the input purdue98,

And as a buy the way, saw where your community recently lost a good hand. My old friend Earnie Winchester. My condolences to all the folks at BCSD. And Oxford.

Thanks again, stop in to INGO more often.

videodon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    New Albany
    I owned a 23, and was good with it.
    Always worked perfectly.
    I just wanted to trim my calibers down to 9mm (and a little 45)
    I have 2 19s (one is a suppressor host) and a 21 SF by the bedside.
    None are really collectible in my opinion, just tools like others have said.
    :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not an expert, but I was under the impression the Glocks in 40SW were designed around 9mm, then barreled up. Over time, this can cause frame issues/cracks from the 40SW beating it up.
    I have also heard a comment along these lines from one of James Yeager's videos. The 40SW just breaks things.

In a low usage environment, you are not likely to have issues. However, take a 1000 round training class and you might see some issues.

Sorta true. The .40 is rougher on the gun and the 4th Gen and earlier Glock 22 is based on the 9mm. There is no way in eff you are going to crack a frame with a 1,000 round class. You'll be *deep* into tens of thousands of rounds before you are likely to see any frame issue, more likely into 100,000+

Guns built around the .40 are generally more pleasant to shoot, though.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Mine are over 6 yrs old been somewhere in the safe since purchasing, have no idea what generation they are. Don’t plan on shooting them. Matter of fact I can’t recall ever shooting any Glock. I seem to remember dry firing one, If my memory is correct it felt like the trigger on a BB gun. That was over 25 yrs ago.

The tuned triggers on my smith revolvers has me spoiled. There may be better nowadays but I don’t know if I’ll ever know.

Guys come out to shoot they have them, 9’s mostly, don’t really know they police their brass. I may have to ask to shoot one.

Got a little j frame rite here, gonna blow up some wad cutters when I go out to water in a little bit.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

If you are looking for an "upgrade," the general concensus (of INGO scientists) will say 9mm, but you already have a stockpile of 40sw.

I'm under the impression that S&W M&P handguns are designed around 40sw then barreled down to 9mm. I dont have any particular references to give you on this, though. One might call that an "upgrade." And my thoughts would be to get an M2.0 for the better trigger over the first version.

You shouldn't really have any issues with what you have, though.
    40 does wear out guns quicker however The biggest culprit is folks don’t change out the recoil springs and the 30 is less forgiving than most any others. If you don’t chang out the springs frequently and or run very major loaded ammo through it most mere mortals won’t.

But if your an agency or have training guns that get negated but shot you will have problems sooner with a 40 than a 9mm

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    40 does wear out guns quicker however The biggest culprit is folks don’t change out the recoil springs and the 30 is less forgiving than most any others. If you don’t change out the springs frequently and or run very major loaded ammo through it most mere mortals won’t.
    On nearly every single Glock I own, I pick up a stainless steel recoil spring and, occasionally, with a heavier spring, which helps to slow-down and reduce the felt recoil...especially with the subcompacts!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    40 does wear out guns quicker however The biggest culprit is folks don’t change out the recoil springs and the 30 is less forgiving than most any others. If you don’t chang out the springs frequently and or run very major loaded ammo through it most mere mortals won’t.

But if your an agency or have training guns that get negated but shot you will have problems sooner with a 40 than a 9mm
    What about getting a recoil spring a pound or two heavier? Would that help reduce those effects? Does someone make a shock buff for the G22 like they make for the 1911's?

LoL just read @Amishman44 post.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    On nearly every single Glock I own, I pick up a stainless steel recoil spring and, occasionally, with a heavier spring, which helps to slow-down and reduce the felt recoil...especially with the subcompacts!
    While that could be done by an individual I am coming from the angle on agency firearms since that covers many guns at once and is just the side I’m more familiar with other than stuff I’ve seen at matches

Agencies usually have to use OEM parts and I know the Agencies that changed out recoil springs with 40’a didn’t have issues. One of the Glock instructors was a range guy for his department that ran Glock 40’s and his had no issues. And when I talked to my counterparts at Glynco that ran 40’s same there

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Lifespan of a Glock in .40S&W????

Let’s assume a box of .40S&W is $20 a box or $0.40 a round. That means 10k rounds will cost $4 grand. 50k rounds would be $20 grand. Point is if you have the time and money to wear out a Glock in any caliber I don’t think replacing a $500 gun is going to result in not making rent for the month.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    My first Glock was a 22….. I loved that pistol. Glocks aren’t a collectible…. They are a tool… a neat hammer should they ever be called to. Factory 40 can be rather under loaded if you don’t watch. Handloaded 40…. can be a lot of fun. My original 22 digested over 10k hot loads and never missed a beat. I sprung it according to loads and NEVER had one problem. Keep ‘em clean and play with springs and have fun. As far as 9mm VS 40S&W….. 40 will ALWAYS out do 9mm. I tire of hearing how much cheaper 9mm is…. You want cheap take up hunting four leaf clovers or butterflies…. Pull that trigger and make some 40 cal holes : ))

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My first Glock was a 22….. I loved that pistol. Glocks aren’t a collectible…. They are a tool… a neat hammer should they ever be called to. Factory 40 can be rather under loaded if you don’t watch. Handloaded 40…. can be a lot of fun. My original 22 digested over 10k hot loads and never missed a beat. I sprung it according to loads and NEVER had one problem. Keep ‘em clean and play with springs and have fun. As far as 9mm VS 40S&W….. 40 will ALWAYS out do 9mm. I tire of hearing how much cheaper 9mm is…. You want cheap take up hunting four leaf clovers or butterflies…. Pull that trigger and make some 40 cal holes : ))

I concur with ".40 will ALWAYS out do 9mm"!
    My experience is that now that 9mm is 'more popular' the price has gone up due to increased demand making it, often times, as much or more expensive than .40 S&W!
    If I really want to save $$ shooting, I simply shoot .22 long rifle!

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    OK, hypothetically speaking. Having not shot an auto loader other than my Colt 1911 and my belly gun Ruger .380 and then less than 1000 rounds in at least two years. If I did shovel out one of these G 22’s from the dark recesses of h***. How many rounds would I need to put through it to break it in. Second question? How many rounds aprx till I can trust it 100% for carry. Third question? How long till I can overcome 50+ yrs of mussel memory of revolver shooting?

I blow up a lot of 38 spc every week. Can’t count the numbers, but almost daily. To the point it’s automatic, holster, draw, double tap, holster. Till empty, reload, start over. Seems to me to possibly be an obstacle that can’t be overcome, especially under stress. It may be an unrealistic expectation.

I don’t have anything but time. And I’ve accumulated a lot of 40 s&w ammo.

Top Bottom