• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I watched a show on the military channel. It was on the Green Berets. They said they used the 1911, because of it's knockdown power. They said they did not use the 9mm, because over penetration. Well duh they use ball ammo, just like we did in the Coast Guard. What do you expect when you have a fmj, traveling at roughly 1,200 FPS. That's why hollow points where adopted by LE departments. They had a so called firearms expert on the show. He filled two buckets full of modeling clay, to represent human tissue. He shot the first with the 9mm. He then showed the size of the cavity, and that it penetrated all the way through. This was a fmj round that was used. Then shot the other with the .45. Funny thing is, he he pulled the clay back to show the inside of the cavity of the .45, but did not do so with the clay shot with the 9mm. Sounded just a bit biased to me. Too many people have watched to many Hollywood BS. Where you see someone get shot with a .45, and they fly 3'-4' backward. Even during Vietnam there where stories of GI's, unloading full mags on VC's and they literally dropped right in front of them. So if a bigger round is so more affective, then explain that? I carry a .40, but I bought a 9mm also for a carry gun.

Then I picked up the newest issue of Combat Handguns. They did a review on a generation 4 9mm Glock. They talked again about the over penetration of the fmj 9mm. Again stating that's why LE departments adopted hollow points. They stated that New York departments use 124 grain Speer Gold dots. I do not know the truth to that, just read it. Like said many times before, there is no guarantee. It may take 1 shot, it may take a whole mag. To stop a threat, that's why you train to shoot center mass. You are more likely to hit a vital organ, or artery.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Nobody likes to bleed no matter what size of the hole. Just make sure if it is for self defense use hollow points.

Chuck

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I bought an XD9 and got the "why did you get a 9?" argument. I said because 16 rounds will stop something or someone. Who cares, just don't carry a .22 or .25 and you're good! :D

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes. I have several pistols for SHTF situations where I may have access to ammo in another caliber. If you have no pistol to shoot with you have a hand full of marbles.

My thoughts exactly!

I own a 9mm, but I see no reason not to ADD to the caliber collection, not deplete it.

If SHTF- I can chamber and shoot safely,

.22lr
    .32auto
    .327fedmag/.32S&W/.32H&Rmag
    .38spl/.357mag
    9mm
    .40S&W
    .44mag
    .45acp
    .45Colt/410ga
    .454Casull
    .45/70Govt

and that's just handguns!

If I can find ammo, chances are good I'll have something to shoot it from.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    I have an M&P 9mm and love it. It's extremely accurate. I actually prefer it over my Taurus 45. I'm still working on the sights for my 45. M&P 9 is GREAT!!!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The Army gets all the good equipment, the Marines make do! But hey I'm not the one that tried to start a Military flame war!

that's right, you started with the wise *** Glock comment.

I don't really need to defend my branch or the Marines, their records are pretty clear, but why are you talking about the Marines?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    was watching Nutnfancy interview Rob Leatham at the SHOT show and he made a pretty good point. He wasn't a big fan of the .40 because he either wanted REALLY big bullets or LOTS of them.

I thought that was pretty good.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    that's right, you started with the wise *** Glock comment.

I don't really need to defend my branch or the Marines, their records are pretty clear, but why are you talking about the Marines?

I was being "sarcastic" with the Glock comment. I guess some could see your comment "buy glock", as being wise *** also. Why are you talking about the Coast Guard, and Air Force? Did my comment really bother you so much, you had to chime in with comments about Military branches? I'll leave it at that!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Seeing how in most situations that most of the rounds do not hit the intended target, more rounds might be considered a good thing.

I am sticking with 9mm and 45 only to keep the number of calibers down. I have a few firearms from WWII and post WWII and most of them are 9mm. I love the 1911 and will keep the 45. I also keep a G36 for my ankle holster. I have to say that the G36 is a pleasure to shoot but I carry a 9mm with 17+1. It is very accurate for follow up shots, much more so than my 1911's and if I ever carry two spare magazines, one box of 9mm just ain't quit enough.

Top Bottom