• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    nothing wrong with the 9mm. just personal choice. i carry a .40 but also have some 9mm and love them too. i have carried 9mm in the past and i would not hesitate to carry a 9mm today if that is what i had.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I prefer 9mm to .40 simply because I prefer the way it shoots, but if I had some .40s and liked them, I wouldn't see a reason to get rid of them.

Nothing wrong with adding a 9 to the collection, though! :)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry a 9mm Bersa HC 17+1 daily. For $309 at the 1500 I don't worry about it getting wear from holstering. It is probably the most accurate gun I own, has a lifetime guarantee, and is not that heavy with an aluminum frame.

I also have 1911's but I like the 17+1 capacity.

Never owned a 40 only because I don't want to add another caliber to the collection.

I think stopping power is overrated. Placement is what counts. Plenty of people walking around that have been shot by both. I know one that was shot by a 45 and one by a 9mm and still is carrying one of the bullets.

I don't think there is anything pansy with 9mm, it is just that we think bigger is better in America. Anyway, I can put 3 in someone and still have 14 left.

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    I shot both 9s and 40s at pop guns today, and is it in my head, or does the 40 kick quite a bit harder than a 9 out of the same gun? Do you guys notice the difference or am i a wuss? So far, im in the 9mm boat.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Sure get a 9mm but why dispose of the 40 cal?, I currently have 3 calibers that Im comfortable with 9MM, 45 ACP & 40cal. Have a little variety, At one time I had over 7 different handgun calibers just to follow the changing trends of the handgun world until I settled on these 3 calibers

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I shot both 9s and 40s at pop guns today, and is it in my head, or does the 40 kick quite a bit harder than a 9 out of the same gun? Do you guys notice the difference or am i a wuss? So far, im in the 9mm boat.

No, it wasn't your imagination. The .40 is basically a 10mm that delivers ~400 ft/lbs of energy vs. ~360 ft/lbs for the 9mm. It not only hits you harder, but it hits the recipient harder as well. That said, the 9mm has advantages in cost, capacity, and ability to follow-up quickly. 9mm, 40, and 45 are all considered effective rounds and all have their fans. Go with whichever you feel you are most effective with.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Well, I have decided to carry both 9mm AND .40. If I run out of one, I've always got the other.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    Appreciate the responses

Thanks for all the opinions. I was just wanting to get a feel for everyones thoughts. I just have 5 different cal of handguns,and wanting to get it down to about 3. I don't need all these different cal .25,38,40,45,44 mag. Not getting rid of the 45 or 44mag. But was thinking of getting a 9. And getting rid of the others thanks

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    :horse: Can we please give the horse a rest. There has been more posts about OMG is the 9mm affective, then the amount of times I have wanted to throat punch someone at work. That in itself is a stagering number.

Top Bottom