• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I sold guns for over five years and I don’t recall a CDL holder ever being delayed. Now, nearly every active military member who bought a gun from me was delayed but they always were cleared within the three day period.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I sold guns for over five years and I don’t recall a CDL holder ever being delayed. Now, nearly every active military member who bought a gun from me was delayed but they always were cleared within the three day period.
    She did mention former military and police officers being delayed, had my CDL for close to 12 years and never heard of it before, nor have I had any issues.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    My day job is 100% remote so I work a gun desk part-time for gun money and face-to-face interaction with peoples... well, and a discount on guns and ammo :)

I've never bought the CDL story... I've had a couple customers with CDLs repeat that to me, but then say maybe it's because I've moved 10 times in the last 5 years or that one thing that I got expunged that pops back up from time to time, lol!

We accept government issued photo ID with current address on it. If the DL/ID address is not current, then the ID plus an IN government issued document from a list of approved documents (auto registration, voter registration, etc) with current address is acceptable... utility bills, bank statements, etc are not... I've not looked up whether that's corporate policy or law because it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

And, the first item on the LEEPS (NICS website) is attesting that the name, address and DOB on the government issued documents exactly match what's on the 4473... so I'm skeptical of utility bills, bank statements, etc. to the point that if we did take those, I'd be looking it up myself.

Myself, others working the same gun desk, a clerk at Academy that I chat with from time-to-time and some LGS clerks I've chatted with have all noticed that a FAR higher percentage of background checks go to RESEARCHING (normally less than 30 minutes) and a FAR higher percentage of those go to DELAYED and a FAR higher percentage of DELAYED backgrounds never resolve during the 30 day expiration period and stay OPEN until the expire.

Prior to around August/September of last year, 90-95% were instant, now it's only 80-85%. It used to be fairly rare for a background check to go to "OPEN", past the 72 hour/3 day mark, now there are enough to require scrolling.

Something changed about 8 months ago making it harder to get to an instant PROCEED.

FWIW, DENIED is still very, very rare. I've had 4 in about a year with hundreds, if not approaching a thousand background checks, 2 instant, 2 after a delay.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Freedom to associate with a big truck

True, I saw somebody doing a transfer with their vehicle registration. I was just curious if anybody else had heard of people being delayed because they had a CDL. I didn’t put much stock in it but I could see the current administration pulling some BS like that.
    I've used my registration before for proof of address. The address on my registration was correct, on my DL it wasn't.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Since my last post, had a customer come in with a UPIN (a pretty rare occurrence) and...

He went to RESEARCHING!

Since we weren't busy, I sat there chatting with him about this mess while refreshing NICS (LEEPS) every 30 seconds or so for a change in status. Got a PROCEED after about 5 minutes.

I'm thoroughly convinced that there were changes made 7-8 months ago to make it harder to get an instant PROCEED and require human eyes on the background check... even when someone has went through the enormous hassle required to get a UPIN.

"C'MON MAN!"

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    My day job is 100% remote so I work a gun desk part-time for gun money and face-to-face interaction with peoples... well, and a discount on guns and ammo :)

I've never bought the CDL story... I've had a couple customers with CDLs repeat that to me, but then say maybe it's because I've moved 10 times in the last 5 years or that one thing that I got expunged that pops back up from time to time, lol!

We accept government issued photo ID with current address on it. If the DL/ID address is not current, then the ID plus an IN government issued document from a list of approved documents (auto registration, voter registration, etc) with current address is acceptable... utility bills, bank statements, etc are not... I've not looked up whether that's corporate policy or law because it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

And, the first item on the LEEPS (NICS website) is attesting that the name, address and DOB on the government issued documents exactly match what's on the 4473... so I'm skeptical of utility bills, bank statements, etc. to the point that if we did take those, I'd be looking it up myself.

Myself, others working the same gun desk, a clerk at Academy that I chat with from time-to-time and some LGS clerks I've chatted with have all noticed that a FAR higher percentage of background checks go to RESEARCHING (normally less than 30 minutes) and a FAR higher percentage of those go to DELAYED and a FAR higher percentage of DELAYED backgrounds never resolve during the 30 day expiration period and stay OPEN until the expire.

Prior to around August/September of last year, 90-95% were instant, now it's only 80-85%. It used to be fairly rare for a background check to go to "OPEN", past the 72 hour/3 day mark, now there are enough to require scrolling.

Something changed about 8 months ago making it harder to get to an instant PROCEED.

FWIW, DENIED is still very, very rare. I've had 4 in about a year with hundreds, if not approaching a thousand background checks, 2 instant, 2 after a delay.
    Be careful! According to ATF publication 18 U.S.C. 922(t)(1)(C): IDENTIFICATION OF TRANSFEREE , ( https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2001-5-identification-transferee/download) using a State issued ID with an invalid address may not meet the Brady requirement for identification.

From the publication, " Thus, for example, a licensee may accept a valid driver's license that accurately reflects the purchaser's name, date of birth, and photograph, along with a vehicle registration issued by the State indicating the transferee's current address. Licensees should note that if the law of the State that issued the driver's license provides that the driver's license is invalid due to any reason (i.e., the license is expired or is no longer valid due to an unreported change of address), then the driver's license may not be used for identification purposes under the Brady Act. If a licensee has reasonable cause to question the validity of an identification document, he or she should not proceed with the transfer until those questions can be resolved. "

I believe in Indiana you have 30 days to update your address before your license is considered invalid until it's updated and if used for ID purposes on the 4473 could be an violation.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    The other funny thing with this story is you don’t have to have a DL to buy a gun. Any GOV issued document. Even a Utility Bill and Library Card satisfies requirements if the 4473.

Yes a DL makes it easier but with a DL the LGS only runs DOB, SSN and DL#. Yes they (people on the other end) see DL restrictions etc as they run a NCIC But they don’t care about anything except prohibiting factors.
    I wouldn't try the library card part at a lot of gun stores...

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Not that I buy many guns at my LGS but on those few occasions I have I've never had a delay or denial so long as my CDL address is current. The only hiccup once was trying to get follow-up correspondence to a different mailing address because, obviously, being on the road so much it'll be a while before I get back to my own mailbox.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I wouldn't try the library card part at a lot of gun stores...
    What I mention is from a former co worker. He transferred Agencies and now is an IOA with ATF that inspects these things. Even it could be used and is legal.

Of course if a gun dealer doesn’t want to accept it such as the new temp paper DL’s BMV gives you that some won’t then that’s on them

Top Bottom