• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    New to reloading. I'm sure I will create a stir, but what dies should I buy (and WHY) to reload my .308 and .458SOCOM brass? I have an RCBS Rockchucker press. Any and All suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Im using Hornady dies for both. They have worked 100% with no issues and they weren't crazy expensive.:twocents:

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    These are the two that got me started into reloading. I'm using Redding type S match dies for the 308 and Hornady dies for the 458. Also have a set of Lee dies for the 458 but only use the crimp die that came with it. Hornady work alittle better than the Lee.

Check out MidwayUSA for deals on dies.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    These are the two that got me started into reloading. I'm using Redding type S match dies for the 308 and Hornady dies for the 458. Also have a set of Lee dies for the 458 but only use the crimp die that came with it. Hornady work alittle better than the Lee.

Check out MidwayUSA for deals on dies.

That is 1 reason I am writing this, I had heard bad stories about LEE. Just looking to buy thing once and not have to buy 2-3 times for each item. Thanks

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That is 1 reason I am writing this, I had heard bad stories about LEE. Just looking to buy thing once and not have to buy 2-3 times for each item. Thanks

Are you looking for dies that "work", or do you want something special from them? You're using (arguably) the best single-stage press ever made, so you aren't worried about cranking out hundreds per hour. In my experience (25 years doing this reloading thing) you can realistically expect Lee, RCBS, Hornady and most other dies to work, as they are designed. They will resize cases, remove old primers, bell case mouths, seat bullets, crimp mouths, etc, etc. They are reloading dies...that's what they do.

Now, if you're an elitist who is willing to pay a lot more for something that works a little better, you can certainly pay a premium for "better" dies. I think they are largely a waste of money and only useful to those in the benchrest shooting game. I am loading 308 rounds for my son's rifle that shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards. The dies are run-of-the-mill RCBS and they haven't given me a single reason to replace them with anything else.

I've got most of the major die manufacturers represented on my shelf, including a few sets from Pacific, a company that may not even be in business any more. I don't have any Dillon dies, nor any Forster dies. The one set of Redding dies I have are excellent, but I do not claim they produce better ammunition than any other brand. :twocents:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've had .308 Win and .40S&W Lee dies for ~18 years. They still work. I've added several more sets of Lee dies since then. Not one single problem.

If other dies are make more accurate ammo, I'm not good enough to tell the difference.

If money were no object I would buy more Redding dies, but I'd have to invest in a few micrometer bullet seaters as well.

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN

I know what you sayin, I've heard good things about the Redding dies for the 458 socom and 308. Bought the hornady 458 dies on sale @ midwestusa, haven't had any issues with them. I bought the lee dies used because it had the crimp die. Just remember you get what you pay for:twocents:
    -Shaun

Top Bottom