• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Might work better w scope more fwd.
    Help reduce muzzle flip rather than accentuate it.
    How is the trigger? Is it consistent shot to shot? Pounds don't matter much to me as long as it's consistent.
    I heard some of those plastic triggers vary shot to shot? Or maybe that was the guys excuse.

I tried putting the scope forward more, but it was too far away from my eyes to see through it & I discovered I had to bring it back as far as I could for proper eye relief; it wasn't very forgiving.

Trigger is nothing special.
    I've had better & I've had worse: it's fine.

The gun was advertised as an M3 variant, but it says M2 on the box.
    Since the M2 has a 6" barrel is just like the M1 except for its 4" barrel (I have the M1 also).
    On this gun, I don't understand why the box says M2 since I have the Picatinny rail on top & underneath the housing like the M3 variant does. :scratch:
    I bring that up only b/c the M3 is supposed to have an adjustable match trigger.
    I don't know if it does or not, like the quick release magazine release & larger polymer grips.
    When I get my M1 back from a friend that borrowed it, I'll compare it to the M3 (or M2) to see if the trigger or magazine release looks any different.
    Grips feel the same, though, & on the M3 they are supposed to be bigger in addition to the Picatinny rail.
    Confusing. :scratch:

SP22 M2

The M2 model features a longer, 6-inch (15 cm) barrel for increased velocity and accuracy.
    SP22 M3
    The M3 model features a 6-inch (15 cm) match-grade barrel along with an adjustable match trigger. It also has removable Picatinny-style rails on top of, and underneath the housing. The M3 also comes larger polymer grips, and a quick-release magazine catch.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Mystery solved.
    Apparently I an not just the weak link or X factor when it comes to my shooting but now in my ability to read.
    Hard for an old teacher to wrap his brain around.
    I tell my wife everyday when I do or say some sort of gaffe: that it's not going to get any better. :lmfao:
    I never noticed that M2 was written right on the gun itself. :coffee: :dunno: :facepalm: :laugh:

M2 written on slide.jpg :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Fun with 4 different guns today.
    3 with scopes:
    - Walther SP22 M2 6" barrel (just got this out of Michigan after waiting 6 months to find one)
    - Ruger Hunter Single Six, 7.5", SAO, 6 rd, w/Leopold scope
    - Browning Buckmark Hunter 7.25"
    And 1 w/o a scope:
    - Sig Sauer 226-22 Classic

The "new" Walther SP22 M2 that I just got from MI, is shooting for me better after yesterday's "orientation."
    The Ruger Hunter was a blast to shoot.
    It was actually not a 100% as labelled, but a 95% b/c I now see a flyer on the last target.
    Browning Buckmark proves once again that I should keep it & sell everything else. :lmfao:
    The Sig 226-Classic is a "trainer" & not meant to be as precise as some others, like my Glock 44 that I sold.

I love shooting the small animals for variety.
    Not precise measurements but I just estimated the closeness of the rounds allowing for the different shape of the animals.
    I had 1 great "touching" group from the Ruger Hunter & 3 from the Buckmark Hunter.
    The Sig Sauer 226 Classic can't keep up with the others but I enjoy shooting it, but it will be gone whenever I get through playing with it.

- Browning Buckmark Hunter Target 7.25" Range 03.19.2021 WSPM1&Ruger Hunter 6&Brwn Bkmrk Hunter& Sig 226 Classic.jpg Range 03.19.2021 Animals x4 handguns.jpg Hogue grips.jpg Hunter 7.25 wScope left side wslide back.jpg correct upright pic of 226 Classic.jpg Pic wScope left side.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Love that Single Six Hunter! I have a pair of Single Sixes - one stainless and one blued. Both 5.5" barrels. I have a red dot on the stainless with a Weigand mount , not a very aesthetic looking set up but I can shoot it as well, or maybe a little better, as I did when I had 20/20 vision with the open sights.

The blued is a recent aquisition that came to me locked up - literally! Had to get a key from ebay to unlock it! But it did come with a set of Williams Fire Sights and I was actually able to fire some decent targets with open sights.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Love that Single Six Hunter! I have a pair of Single Sixes - one stainless and one blued. Both 5.5" barrels. I have a red dot on the stainless with a Weigand mount , not a very aesthetic looking set up but I can shoot it as well, or maybe a little better, as I did when I had 20/20 vision with the open sights.

The blued is a recent aquisition that came to me locked up - literally! Had to get a key from ebay to unlock it! But it did come with a set of Williams Fire Sights and I was actually able to fire some decent targets with open sights.
    I have had a few single sixes:
    - Rugers
    - Heritage Rough Rider
    - Uberti (which was my favorite fixed sight).

Grips were always too small & the fixed sights not particularly accurate for my eyes.
    Loading & extraction of each individual round was not to my preference.
    Some of the gates had access to the cylinder that were smallish, impeding insertion of another round.

I thought I was done with single action.
    Then I met the Hunter model, which I put a scope & Hogue grips on & it converted me.
    I would love to have the 10 round variant.

Specs:
    - Grips: Black Laminate (too small, I bought Hogue grips like I do for alot of my guns, even ordered some 2 days ago for my Kimber K6s for my pinky)
    - Capacity: 6
    - Front Sight: Bead
    - Barrel Length: 7.50"
    - Material: Stainless Steel

- Model Type: Hunter-Style
    - Rear Sight: Adjustable
    - Overall Length: 13"
    - Weight: 45 oz.
    - Suggested Retail: $879.00

- Patented integral scope mounts provide stable surface for mounting scope rings (included).

format correct right side wHogue.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Grips were always too small & the fixed sights not particularly accurate for my eyes.
    Loading & extraction of each individual round was not to my preference.
    Some of the gates had access to the cylinder that were smallish, impeding insertion of another round.

I thought I was done with single action.
    Then I met the Hunter model, which I put a scope & Hogue grips on & it converted me.
    I would love to have the 10 round variant.
    All the single actions I have owned be it 22lr or centerfire have had adjustable sights. I definitely like being able to adjust my sights to place shots to the point of aim. The single action revolver , especially the Single Six , is my "relax and take it easy" gun. Its never been about speed or capacity and that might be one reason I've shot targets with the Single Six that are as good as guns that are mechanically more accurate. Had one of my best ones just last weekend.

That Hunter looks fantastic! And a hec of a good shooter too! If you ever get to the point you get tired of it I would be be very interested in it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Sig Sauer 226-22 that I picked up last July.
    Didn't even know this gun existed, so I had to try it out.
    This gun just feels good in the hand. :dunno:

Used CCI Mini-Mags today at 21' on a rest.
    75% = targets 1-4
    95% = targets 5-8
    85% = targets 1-8

I ran out of CCI Mini-Mags is why I didn't do the whole sheet 1-10.
    Shot 100 rounds of Mini-Mags with no issues of FTE like with some brands of ammo.
    I was shooting a little low on targets 1-4 & was going to stop,
    but,
    I adjusted the elevation to improve targets 5-8.

Range 04.02.2021 21 yds 75, 95 & 85% total.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I took 2 guns belonging Zachcz to the range today:
    - CZ 75 w/Kadet conversion Kit .22LR
    - SW 15-22

I was curious to see if the SW 15-22 would shoot like the Ruger 10/22 or better, but it didn't work out for me.

The real fun was with the Kadet Conversion Kit .22LR for a CZ 75: I've shot it beforfe.

I tried to buy a Kadet Kit 2 for my CZ Shadow 2 but none are available anymore.
    I should have bought one when they were $350 over a year ago since they are much higher now even if you can find one.

I started with Armscor 36 grain HP HV, but wasn't happy with the groups & switched to Aguila Super Extra HV SLN.
    CCI SV did better in the past, but I'm trying to save it for my rifles this summer.

Polished internals w/flat trigger & red front optic.
    Pic of Zack CZ 75 SS wKadet Kit.jpg

red section is 1.75" x 2.75"
    10 rounds per target
    Started with #5 on the bottom & worked my up to #1.
    Same with the numbers under the circles used for practice & dialing in rear sight.
    Range 04.07.2021 21ft 5in1 targets.jpg

1.75" circles
    5 rds per target
    Range 04.07.2021 21ft 10 targets 1.75in.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This Magnum Research Mountain Eagle .22LR 15 round was found by Zachcz this past weekend & I volunteered to take it to the range for him.
    He likes to find that rare .22LR & try it out.
    He's the one who got me turned on to the Walther SP22 M1 & I bought one & then bought the M2, since I liked it so much.
    This Magnum Research Mountain Eagle felt very light in the hand & was surprisingly accurate.

Styling and Specs
    The Magnum Research Mountain Eagle is a simple blowback .22 LR pistol design.
    The gun originally retailed for around $200 in the early ’90s but had a reputation for being very reliable.
    Another impressive aspect of the Mountain Eagle is the fact it comes standard with a 15 round magazine.
    The gun seems to be based off a number of different 22 pistols like the Ruger Mark 2 and Browning Buckmark.
    One of the most surprising things about the Mountain Eagle is how light the gun is overall.
    It doesn’t seem light, but the Mountain Eagle weighs in at 24 oz and feels lighter than its actual weight in your hand.

The sights on the Mountain Eagle are adjustable with an adjustable rear sight and an extremely bright orange front sight. The front sight may be a little large for the rest of the gun but it does a fantastic job of showing up in the sight picture.
    I was surprised how the controls were slightly different from conventional handguns but it was still very easy to use the safety and magazine release.
    One of the coolest features on the gun, in my opinion, was the barrel profile (see below).

left side cropped.jpg

right side cropped.jpg

barrel profile cropped.jpg

Range pics at 15' & 21' (not sure which was which :scratch: :facepalm::dunno:
    pic 1.jpg pic 2.jpg pic 5.jpg pic 6.jpg pic 7.jpg

Attachments

• right side cropped.jpg
      right side cropped.jpg
      138.5 KB · Views: 5

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sig Sauer 226-22.
    Put 80 rounds of Armscor HV HP 36 grain through today.
    Was still doing a tweak with elevation b/c it was shooting a tad low & with the windage, b/c going left a hair.
    10 rds each target on 1st row & 5 each target in rows 2-4.

Row 1 = 75%
    Row 2 = 75%
    Row 3 = 95%
    Row 4 = 80%
    Rows 1-4 = 80%
    Range 04.19.2021 21ft 1.75 circles.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since the Walther SP22 M1 (4" barrel) didn't sell yet, I took it back out to the range & shot it with the M2 variant (6" barrel) that I put a Nikon EER scope on it.
    I used Armscor HV HP 36 grain used with 80 rounds through both the M1 (4") & M2 (6" with a scope) w/o any failures for a total of 160 rounds.

Row 1 & 2 was with the "new" M2 model.
    Shot row 1 at 21" like I did the M1 in rows 3 & 4, but went to 30' in row 2 with the M2 since I had a Nikon EER scope on it.

On row 1 last target with the 6/10 rounds was b/c I had to dial in the scope since I changed the distance.
    On row 3 & 4 I was dialing in the rear sights on row 4, therefore did better on row 3.

Circles were 1.75".
    Range 04.19.2021 21&30ft M1&M2 Walther SP22.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wanted a Ruger LCRx 3" with a hammer for 2 yrs. & I've never seen one used for sale.
    Finally picked this one up from a member Saturday.

Previously, I had the Ruger LCR 1.87" barrel hammerless & wasn't impressed with it & didn't keep it long.
    I don't understand the fliers from this 3" barrel.
    Me, ammo, or the gun: time will tell. :dunno:
    I will spend more time working with the adjustable sights next range time.

I didn't mind the stout DA trigger but, I was surprised that the SA was not better.
    I'm hoping that this LCRx will be my "small" 22LR revolver, since I have plenty of longer barrels.
    I wanted to get a SW 3" barrel, but apparently so does everyone else, ha! :ugh:

4.26.21 LCRx rt side open cylinder.jpg 4.26.21 LCRx in box rt. side.jpg

21' S/A using Armscor HV HP 36 grain.
    Circles were 3.75".
    Range 4.26.2021 LCRx.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had some fun with a friend's guns today.
    I used to have a Ruger Charger semi-auto & shooting this one today made me wish I'd kept it.

I have almost bought the Heritage 16" barrel revolver a couple of times but figured it would be something I'd buy, shoot & then sell after a few range visits so I didn't want to buy one new & I hadn't seen a used one for sale.
    I really liked it.

4.26 21 Charger.jpg 4.26.21 16in Heritage.jpg

30' for the Charger with the red dot.
    I kept adjusting the red dot a click at a time but looks like I should have stopped on 2nd target. :ugh:

21' for the Heritage 16" barrel.
    Loved the green fiber optics on rear sights to contrast with the front red optic.
    Used Armscor HV HP 36 grain.
    Circles were 1.75".
    Range Zachs 4.26.21 Charger & 16in Heritage.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up the Walther PPK/S in the Classifieds this weekend 3 hours away in Valparaiso.
    Made it into a fun road trip with a friend, which included a family-owned Chinese buffet in Kokomo (1st time in over a year).
    Never had a PPK/S & wanted to see how it would do compared with my other small semi, the Sig 938-22 that I really like.
    I want to compare them at the range, but got tired & didn't shoot the Sig today, I found 1 old target with the Sig but didn't label it proper to know if 15' or 21'.
    I'll have to decide which will be the keeper for a small semi.

Today I used 5 brands of ammo at 15' & 21'.
    Usually, with a short-barreled small gun I use 15', but I had to try it at 21' anyway.

All ammo was 40 grain with solid round nose (SRN) & HV except the CCI SV.
    Aguila Super Extra: 3/20 rounds had issues of 1 rd not loading & 2 rds not ejecting (15% failure rate).
    CCI SV: 1070 FPS with 3/40 rounds had issues of 1 not loading & 2 not ejecting (.075% failure rate: less than 1%).
    Federal Target: 1200 FPS with 9/40
    rounds had issues of 1 not loading & 8 not ejecting (22.5% failure rate).
    Remington 22 Thunderbolts: 1255 FPS with 0/40 round with 0 issues (0% failure rate).

This gun is supposed to work best with HV.
    But, it was more accurate with CCI SV beating out the others at 15' & 21'.

pic left side.png pic right side.png

15' with accuracy % of each brand of ammo.
    5 rounds each target with 20 rounds each brand of ammo.
    Range 05.17.2021 15 ft w4 brands of ammo.jpg

21' with % of accuracy of each brand of ammo.
    5 rounds each target with 20 rounds each brand of ammo.
    Range 05.17.2021 21 ft w4 brands of ammo.jpg

Using 3.75 circles I shot the frist 10 rounds at 21' with second 10 rounds at 15'.
    pic of first 20 rds of PPK at 15 & 21'.png

Found this target from last Fall using the Sig 938-22.
    I think these are 1.75" also, but no more than 2" at most.
    I believe this is 15', but could be 21'???
    22/30 = 73%
    If it is 15', it didn't do as well as the PPK/S.
    If it is 21', it beat 3/4 of the PPK/S.
    I will find out next range visit this week.
    Range pic using 6of10 1.75 in targets on sheet.png

Bersa Thunder .22LR: same style as PPK/S
    Bersa-R-684x513.jpg

Targets:
    70% with this ammo at 21'.
    Zack 11.25.2020 black range.jpg

Bersa at 15' = 100% accuracy (beats both other guns).
    Bersa at 21' = 55% accuracy.
    Range. 01.27.2021 15 & 21 ft.jpg

Attachments

• Range 05.17.2021 First rounds 15 and 21 ft w4 brands of ammo.jpg
      Range 05.17.2021 First rounds 15 and 21 ft w4 brands of ammo.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Dig out targets from bersa 22 for comparison. Walther was what 1.75x more expensive. Hopefully it correlates to being at least that much more accurate

Top Bottom