• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    From memory I think it did group wise. Not sure with your voodoo scoring system.
    Voodoo??!!
    Dividing how many rounds out of X number of rounds get into a circle to get a % for a comparative base is just sheer genius! :laugh:
    It provides meaning in my otherwise boring life. :rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yes voodoo since it doesn’t account for group sizings but I get that it is easiest way to get some kind of data to compare
    I only care about being the 1.75" group I'm shooting at.
    I will adjust the sights to do so, if able.
    If I need to use a 1" circles for a tighter group, then I go there; if 1/2" circle, I go there.
    I even have 1/4" circles if I get to that point I can shoot that tight a group.
    Probably not.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    That’s where voodoo comes in. You’re telling me in this example target on left (top)is 100% and right (bottom)is 20% so a better shooting gun if they were done by different guns?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I would sell the gun shooting rounds on the left target b/c it's groups are not tight enough.
    They are too far away from center: I want them inside the circle, not just barely touching.

I would simply adjust the sights on the right target b/c the groups are great.
    If the groups on the right could not be adjusted to fit inside the circle I wouldn't care about the nice group if it could not be moved to the center.
    I want to be able to shoot in the middle of the bullseye, not shoot great groups 3" away from center.

That's not where the money is in either darts, archery or .22LR target shooting.
    That is why targets have number where scores are calculated by adding up the points in the circles where the rounds have hit.

When I had targets with the number, I used to add up the numbers, but that was cumbersome & time consuming.
    I now just get the size of circles I want the groups to be in.
    If I can get all the groups inside a 5 inch circle, then I to to a smaller circle, and repeat.
    If I didn't have targets with circles small enough, then I would measure the groups.
    Shooting 1 hole groups 5 inches away from bullseye holds no interest for me.
    If I couldn't adjust the sights or the optic accordingly, I'd get another optic or another gun.
    I have done both.
    If I ever get to a more expert level & I was shooting really tight groups within whatever circle I was using I'd start measuring groups, if I didn't have a target with smaller circles.

Example:
    concentric circle with points target.png

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Head to head comparison between the Walther PPK/S & Sig 938-22.

Row 1: Walther PPK/S with 15' x3 & last in row at 21'.
    Row 2: Sig 938-22 with 15' x3 & last in row at 21'.
    Using CCI SV.
    Sig at 20/20 (100%)
    PPK/S at 18/20 (90%)
    Range 5.18.2021  15 & 21 ft. 2 rows.jpg

Range 5.18.2021  15 & 21 ft. 4 rows Both.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did an inventory of guns.
    I am over my lowest number that I got down to by double. :facepalm:
    Not that many .22LR guns that I haven't tried out, but want to keep most of what I've got: hard to let any go at this point.
    I have sold 2 lately with 2 more still on the list.
    I especially don't need all in the other calibers, barely even shooting them, but I really like what I've ended up with: tough decisions ahead.

I did get down to only four .22LR rifles after alot of trial & testing last spring, summer & fall.

I'm actively working on reducing rounds shot per month, since I've been out of control. :dunno:
    Just in 2021 I've gone from a low of 2000 rds down to 1000 rds, per month, with a new record of 450 rds this month.

Buying a MC after 11 yrs. of not having one (after owning over 20 MCs) & finally renewing my gym membership will hopefully help to keep my range time under control.
    But, I can't wait to shoot rounds at the outdoor range like last year when I was testing out rifles.
    It was glorious! :rockwoot:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg you spelled moped wrong!
    Funniest thing I’ve read all day!

I didn’t think you would let a day go by without working that into our private conversations.
    Even funnier, when you do it on a public forum:
    Priceless!
    At my age, I’m just glad I can even get my foot up & over even to get on the scooter, ha ha!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Thread jack coming ... I know all of you also shoot .22LR rifles, so check out this event ... https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2021-jun-12-liberty-in/ ... lots of swag and awesome giveaways.

Plus there is a long range .22LR only event scheduled for the following day ... https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2021-jun-13-liberty-in/

If that's not enough, there also a 1-day pistol event scheduled for 21 August ... https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2021-aug-21-zionsville-in/

Get your .22LR firearms tuned up and ready to participate in an great event. You will learn something new and you will help to support a great cause.

Thread jack over.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Enjoyed shooting the Sig 938-22 (my favorite small 22Lr semi) & the Walther PPK/S (not had that gun before) that I posted range pics previously.
    I decided not to keep a small .22LR semi-auto, since I have so many others already.
    Sold the Sig 938 for $425 & the Walther PPK/S will be up for sale at $450 when I get around to it.

Today I took the upgraded Sig Sauer 1911-22 that I bought from ZR Tactical Solutions in Noblesville to the range.
    I used 4 different rounds of ammo with it today, with the Aguila Super Extra being the most accurate (see pic below).

I then shot a gun that surprises me by how much I enjoy it:
    Heritage S/A revolver 16" barrel.
    Dislikes:
    - grips too small
    - cylinder difficult to turn when loading/unloading
    - gate irritatingly closes when loading/unloading by the slightest touch.
    But, it is accurate for me, even with my old eyes.
    Love the contrast of the green rear & front red fiber optic sights.
    I had to take the target out to 30' since 21' was too easy, even though I could hardly see the 1.75" red circles I was shooting at. :laugh:

GSG 1911-22
    10 rounds per target at 1.75" circles using a different ammo each row.
    Range 06.02.2021. 21 ft. w4 types ammo.jpg
    GSG 1911 22 left side.JPG
    rear sight wWhite removed. darker.jpg

15' & 21' using 2 types of ammo.
    6 rounds per 1.75" red target.
    Range 06.02.2021. 15 & 21 ft..jpg

Heritage 16 in in box.jpg
    pic from rear. green rear & front red sight optics.jpg
    pic top of rear sigt.jpg

Attachments

• top front red optic.jpg
      top front red optic.jpg
      107.1 KB · Views: 1

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Ahh the Heritage "Joker" gun! Picked one up just like it earlier this year. Have not shot it much. May have to try it out again soon.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been working on trying to decide on what to sell since I'm "overstocked."
    Sold the Sig 938-22 & Walther PPK/S recently & took the Sig 226-22 one last time to the range before selling it this Saturday.
    1.75" circles
    Didn't post the Aguila SE b/c the results didn't do as well as these 2 brands of ammo.
    Range 06.10.2021 21ft. 2 brands Ammo.jpg correct upright pic of 226 Classic.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had fun at the range today with a couple of favorite pistols I haven't shot lately.
    The SW 422, manufactured from 1987 - 1996, is a fine example of a gun not manufactured anymore that I enjoy every time I shoot it & I haven't been able to part with it yet.

21' on 1.75" circles.
    Range 06.10.2021 21ft w3 brands Ammo.jpg

Old target from last October using Aguila SE.
    47/50 = 94%
    You can see why this gun is a keeper.
    Range 10.29.2020 SW422 21ft new handgun targets.jpg

06.10.2021 SW422 right side on bag rests.jpg 10.11.2020 picture of 422 at range.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Haven't shot this gem in ages.
    I've had 3 other SW 22A-1 but I love this Talo edition.
    Another example of a gun not manufactured anymore that is wonderful.
    Produced around 2010.

3 different brands of ammo @ 30' w/Red Dot.
    The veritcal 3rd & 4th row on each I put the barrel on a rest.
    That tightened up the groups except for the Aguila SE.
    I think it was me b/c I was getting tired.
    Range 06.10.2021 30ft wRed Dot w3 Ammo brands.jpg pic right side wRed Dot 30ft.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Joined an outdoor range in Shelbyville to meet with a member to do some shooting.
    I brought a dual swinging steel target to use (see below).
    I used my Henry Pump .22LR which I dedicate for steel shooting
    &
    a few .22LR handguns at 25 yards.
    I learned I prefer paper targets where I can see where each round is going exactly.
    No room to set up my gun rests, so the 3" steel target was elusive with some guns. :scratch:

Range bag strapped down with a cargo net on passenger seat.
    July 5, 2021 at range.jpg

3" top & 4.5" bottom diameter
    steel target June 2021.jpg

Top Bottom