• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Do We need a "postal league " for .22s?

Had to look that one up. :scratch: :dunno::)

The Society of Miniature Rifle Clubs Historic Arms Meeting at ...www.rifleman.org.uk › SMRC_Historic_Arms_Meeting
    To knowledgeable eyes, it will be evident that some calibers have required ... The first NSRA "Miniature Rifle Meeting" was set up at very short notice after the ... and "aperture" sights and that some firers would like to use 'scopes, so there is ... as used in the Historic postal matches run under the auspices of the NRA HARC.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I took some 1.75" orange targets to the range today.
    Perfect for handgun shooting at my level. :lmfao:

Been neglecting revolvers, so I took the SW 17 & Taurus Tracker for a few rounds.
    Used Aguila Super Extra HV with a solid copper nose.
    21' on a rest using iron sights shooting both D/A & S/A.

Another pic was using the Russian Baikal IZH-35M.
    I used the Eley Sport SV ammo that the owner gave me to use.
    I've been using my CCI SV with it so I could compare apples to apples with other targets using the CCI SV.
    Keeping my eye on those in the 47-49/50 (94% - 98%) range.
    The Russian gun had been having failure to feed/jam issues with it.
    In 18 mags (100 rds), I had NO issues using the Eley Sport.

Even though the Eley Sport ammo cleared up the FTFeed issues in the Russian gun, but did not with my SW 41.
    I didn't think the groups were generally any tighter with the Eley Sport over the CCI SV in either gun.
    I didn't measure groups, but just an impression.

Range 03.05.2021 Russian 30 ft 1.75 inch circles 94% Eley Sport SV.jpg

Range 03.05.2021 SW 41 1.75 inch cir 97%.jpg

Range 03.05.2021 revolvers 1.75 inch circle 21 ft.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks like the'17 can really group.
    Wonder if mine will do as well...
    Ready for a new project?
    Exactly what I thought as I shot mine today. :thumbsup:
    I thought of yours, & look forward to shooting them shooting side by side.

You should see how my Dan Wesson 54 oz, 8” barrel shoots that I'm so proud of.
    Dan Wesson 8 in. 30' DA & SA picture.jpg Range enlarged 3.16.2020 21 ft.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Looks like the'17 can really group.
    The Smith 17 is one I wish I had bought when they were still available at "affordable" prices. I always think of the 17 as THE classic 22 target revolver.

I saw what I thought was a 17 in a gun shop some years ago and upon looking closer it was a Taurus 96. But I figured it was worth the price to try out and it turned out to be one of the more accurate 22 revolvers I have owned. Earlier this year picked up a made in 2005 Smith 617-5 6" that is really quite a good shooter.

Attachments

• a 1 a a a 617.jpg
      a 1 a a a 617.jpg
      169.7 KB · Views: 7

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Smith 17 is one I wish I had bought when they were still available at "affordable" prices. I always think of the 17 as THE classic 22 target revolver.

I saw what I thought was a 17 in a gun shop some years ago and upon looking closer it was a Taurus 96. But I figured it was worth the price to try out and it turned out to be one of the more accurate 22 revolvers I have owned. Earlier this year picked up a made in 2005 Smith 617-5 6" that is really quite a good shooter.
    I always wanted the SW 617, but it always escapped me, and when my 17-4 became available, I jumped on it although I didn't need it with the DW I had.
    I just couldn't help myself, & I had dealt with Snorko before & trusted him greatly: "salt of the earth" type of person.
    Eventually, when I must, I'll sell the other revolvers I have like I've done before, & the DW would be the last to go, but not this month since I love the variety. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I shot a Walther SP22 M1 this summer owned by a friend & wanted to pick up a 6" with a match barrel.
    I picked up a 4" M1 last week, but I'm still hoping to get a 6" M3 with a rail for optics instead of iron sights.
    It was unique & had potential for accuracy. Made 2008-2010.

Targets below are at 68% & 82% today at 21'.
    The target sheet with 4 targets on it using is CCI Blazer 38 grain HV with my friend's SP22.

Walther pic 2 online.jpg View attachment 129650 Range 03.08.2021 35 of 50 Mine 1st range trip 21.jpg Range 03.08.2021 41 of 50 Mine 2nd target 21.jpg Range 10.23.2021 Only 4 of 10 targets. est. 47%.jpg

Last edited:

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    So you're the guy that bought the little walther! Nice grab!
    Looks like it's right there accuracy wise.off a rest it was pitching them right down the center.
    I shot the'17- it's what you'd expect...keyhole accurate limited by my eyesight. Shooting it so much it's starting to get a ring on the cylinder ❤

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So you're the guy that bought the little walther! Nice grab!
    Looks like it's right there accuracy wise.off a rest it was pitching them right down the center.
    I shot the'17- it's what you'd expect...keyhole accurate limited by my eyesight. Shooting it so much it's starting to get a ring on the cylinder ❤
    :thumbsup: It is nice having a S/W 617 that is older and only a 17 model.
    Classic! Makes it more fun that way.

I will get better with the Walther, I spent most of my time adjusting the windage and elevation.

I always have to move my windage over to the right quite a bit for my eyes.:dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yea! :rockwoot:
    I finally found the Walther SP22 M3 model with the 6" match barrel & full top rail for optics.
    It was in a gun shop in Michigan for a better price that I've ever seen.

Can't wait to get the shipping worked out tomorrow with a very small gun shop I use 3.5 miles from my house.
    M3 image online.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A friend here on INGO gave me a couple of guns to shoot at the range. :draw:
    One was a SW 17 .22LR revolver, like the one I have, but I shot it so poorly that I'm too embarrassed to post the range pic.

The one posted here is from a Ruger Mark 2 stainless steel with wood grips & a scope.
    The owner showed me the pic below of a ragged one-hole at 30' with this gun & said he used 20 rds fired at a 2" blue square.
    I didn't come close to that. :dunno:

There were two X factors:
    - I didn't have my regular bags for a rest & had to use towels folded over to make a rest.
    - I didn't adjust the scope settings since owner had it set up for longer distances.
    I used a point in the elevation below the crosshairs as my focal point.

Owner's range rounds at 30' with 20 rds.
    RM2 30ft 2in square 20 rds.jpg

My unremarkable range pic a 30'.
    Range 03.12.2021 SW 17 30ft 40 of 50.jpg

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Well, a scope takes some getting used to on a pistol. You gotta have solid bags or you're fighting a losing battle. Give it some time. The '17 didn't shoot for you? I'm gonna buy you some bags for Eastet!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, a scope takes some getting used to on a pistol. You gotta have solid bags or you're fighting a losing battle. Give it some time. The '17 didn't shoot for you? I'm gonna buy you some bags for Eastet!
    Since my 17 shoots well for me, but his didn't (& both just have the iron sights),
    it did make me wonder about the towels for a rest instead of my bags.
    That, & since I didn't want to disturb his settings on the iron sights, might have added up to why I didn't even get good groups when I did shoot.

Same with the Ruger M2 with the scope that he got a ragged hole with a5 30' & I had very inconsistent control: maddening. :wallbash:
    I did notice the crosshairs were moving about more than usual & wondered about not having the bags to rest my hands on, perhaps the towels again, plus me not wanting to mess with his settings he had on the scope for longer distances, like 75 yards, I think he mentioned he had it set up for.
    He had said the bore & the scope were parallel to each other, which I was not familiar with that approach since I simply change adjustments for everything from:
    - 21' (usually just for iron sights)
    - 30' (for a scope, but sometimes iron sights if I'm shooting well that day, ha, ha!)
    - 45' (maybe, if I have a scope & not a red dot mounted)

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I did notice the crosshairs were moving about more than usual & wondered about not having the bags to rest my hands on, perhaps the towels again, plus me not wanting to mess with his settings he had on the scope for longer distances, like 75 yards, I think he mentioned he had it set up for.
    Shooting a scoped pistol from a rest there should ideally be no discernible movement of the crosshairs on target. If so a more secure rest should be used. That is , if your goal is to shoot the one-hole groups like the owner fired.

Also good trigger control is a must. Using a rest does not excuse poor trigger control. Plus some degree of patience. I see guys , especially on YouTube, firing a group for accuracy and they seem shoot off shots as fast as possible. If you are trying to shoot for non-competition accuracy not really any reason to get in a big hurry.

Just my own observations on what worked for me from testing many scoped handguns through the years.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Shooting a scoped pistol from a rest there should ideally be no discernible movement of the crosshairs on target. If so a more secure rest should be used. That is , if your goal is to shoot the one-hole groups like the owner fired.

Also good trigger control is a must. Using a rest does not excuse poor trigger control. Plus some degree of patience. I see guys , especially on YouTube, firing a group for accuracy and they seem shoot off shots as fast as possible. If you are trying to shoot for non-competition accuracy not really any reason to get in a big hurry.

Just my own observations on what worked for me from testing many scoped handguns through the years.
    The scope moves around b/c of my hands are not steady, even on a rest (I'm only putting hands on the rest & not use a rest for the gun barrel). :oldwise:
    Ask me why I learned to do that. :facepalm:

As far as trigger control, I do what I've read & been told: slow & steady & be "surprised" when it goes bang.
    I'm try not to be in a hurry to shoot off a round quickly (especially at today's prices), but my natural excitement might cause me to rush the next round more than I should.

I find that if I'm using a semi-auto rifle & I just made a great shot, I have a tendency to want to get another off before my position changes. :dunno:
    Doesn't work out & I've had to learn patience. :nono:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The scope moves around b/c of my hands are not steady, even on a rest (I'm only putting hands on the rest & not use a rest for the gun barrel). :oldwise:
    Ask me why I learned to do that. :facepalm:
    Ok that would make a steady hold more difficult. Yeah I don't rest handgun barrels on the bags either but when shooting for accuracy rest the gun on the bags the best I can. An exception would the the TC Contenders. the resting point for the barrel is more like a rifle than handgun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ok that would make a steady hold more difficult. Yeah I don't rest handgun barrels on the bags either but when shooting for accuracy rest the gun on the bags the best I can. An exception would the the TC Contenders. the resting point for the barrel is more like a rifle than handgun.
    I've always wanted to try out the Contender & have researched. :coffee:
    Came close twice buying one but I didn't want to pay for the worth of having 3-4 other barrels that I knew I wouldn't use, but I came really close once, but the other calibers weren't anything I'd ever use, more of a hunting application.

I had a nice Ruger Charger that I probably should have kept, but to me it wasn't a handgun & wasn't a rifle so why bother?
    I've made mistakes before. :dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom