• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, a scope takes some getting used to on a pistol. You gotta have solid bags or you're fighting a losing battle. Give it some time. The '17 didn't shoot for you? I'm gonna buy you some bags for Eastet!
    That would explain alot!
    I have 3 bags: app. 2", 4" & 6" tall, plus a couple of front rests for rifles.
    I do want to get some large bags that a member pointed out to me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMG-20210313-134944965.jpg

Works good enough for me. Fill compressed, seams unstitching. 30 yrs old, need a new bag like it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Both close enough to do ammo testing when I feel better and there's no wind.
    The .22 mag is hitting maybe .75" left at 50 yards. just on edge of bull dot.
    Good enough to zip a yote maybe tomorrow morning ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    IMG-20210313-134944965.jpg

Works good enough for me. Fill compressed, seams unstitching. 30 yrs old, need a new bag like it.
    Both close enough to do ammo testing when I feel better and there's no wind.
    The .22 mag is hitting maybe .75" left at 50 yards. just on edge of bull dot.
    Good enough to zip a yote maybe tomorrow morning ;)
    Bit of wind, no target pic as I changed rings and had to walk em in.
    But I did get .75" for 3 shots at 50 yards w just a 4X and a darn heavy trigger.
    .22 mag.

What are these guns & scopes?! :scratch:
    Intriguing! :coffee:

Great looking set ups! :thumbsup:
    Bring on those range pics, even if they aren't where you want them to be.
    If you've seen mine, yours will be an improvement. :lmfao:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Hookeye , love that Exemplar! Had a chance to buy a used one quite a few years ago , was priced at $450 or so if I recall. Probably my biggest all time regret of not buying a gun! The guy behind the counter said it had a 25 yard factory target with it. I looked at it and thought that was ok but not that great for 25 yds. Then I read it and it was 50 meters!

I had a chance to borrow a Contender 10" 22 mag barrel and found it to be an accurate barrel. I think 50 yards was the max I shot it at.

TheJeff

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    The CCI std. vel. shoots very well in most of my 22s. I had a MKII vs. MKII target shoot on Christmas using CCI SV in both pistols.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The CCI std. vel. shoots very well in most of my 22s. I had a MKII vs. MKII target shoot on Christmas using CCI SV in both
    Best kind of fun for me is shooting two guns that are the same or at least comparable:
    - Iron sights vs iron sites
    – optic vs optic
    – revolver vs revolver
    - semi-auto vs semi-auto
    :woot: :draw: :ar15:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Anschutz Exemplars are not too bad priced these days as IHMSA is a dying sport.
    The 14" should be cheaper as it's long and bulky compared to the 10".
    Long but light trigger of the Anschutz takes some getting used to. Proly why they don't sell well.
    Seen some nice ones at 600 bucks and they dont sell.

For the bulk/length, might as well get a rifle.

This 14" wears a BKL cantilever mount. Reason........the rear sight was removed and the riser block is attached w one screw. However, there are two pins from the receiver. Dunno if press fit or what.
    Rather than risk scratching things up or losing pieces, I just put the block back on and got the cantilever mount. Worked great.

Scope is an old US made Burris 3-12X AO pistol scope. It needs to go back as there is some crud inside. Proly old sealer/lube that flaked. Usable as the "floaters" are lower portion of the view.
    At 9X and 50 yards the overall weight of the gun almost allows one to see hits.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My youngest likes it and with her health stuff a .22 pistol is not gonna be of retina risk detachment.
    So I set it up for her. See if she likes the scope or not. If not then I'll proly move it to the .22 mag TC.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bought a used Buckmark 5.5 reasonable and got a Contour SS new bbl from MGW.
    Removed sights from the rib (EGW no longer sells a full length rib for em).
    Swapped grips and will add a reflex.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Shot a friend's SW 17 revolver & Ruger Mark 2 w/scope MUCH better today than last week.
    The SW 17 shot like mine does today with a proper bag rest.
    Wow, the RM2 shot better than anything I've got & has an old BSA 3-9 scope on it that I really liked.
    I should have taken the time to take it out to 15 yds to see how it would shoot in my hands since I was getting 1 ragged hole with 5 rds at 10 yds!
    I rested the long barrel of the RM2 (7 or 8") on a bag which took away the "jiggling" of the crosshairs with my hands only on a rest.
    With owner's permission, I also adjusted the sights for my eyes.
    If I would have painted red on the front sight (like I did mine), I think the groups would have been even tighter.

In addition, I took a simple Bersa .22LR semi-auto that is all metal with a hammer that I enjoy shooting as a small .22LR.
    Lastly, I got out a Sig Sauer P226-22 Classic that is exactly like the 226 9mm.
    In fact, you can take the .22LR slide off & put a 9mm slide on it along with a 9mm mag).
    I really like the Sig 226-22 Classic & sold my Glock 44 b/c they were similar (imo).
    The Sig has a hammer & I preferred that.
    Trying to shoot free hand was humbling, but by the 4th target, it under some semblance of control. :dunno:
    I doubt if I'll keep it long term (like the Glock 44), since I have others that shoot more accurately, but I like shooting it for now.
    This will make someone with the Sig 226 9mm a good practice gun.

Ammo today was Aguila Super Extra HV (solid copper-plated round nose)
    65% = Rows 1-4 total @ 21' for Sig Sauer P226-22 Classic.
    (row 1=20&)
    (row 2=80%)
    (row 3=75%)
    (row 4=65%)
    I tried adjusting the sights between targets, but they aren't precise adjustments (like the Glock & Taurus TX, if memory serves).

100% = Row 1 at 15' for Bersa .22LR
    55% = Row 2 Free hand :facepalm:

96% = SW 17 at 21' (#1-5)
    100% = Ruger Mark 2 w/optic (#6-10)

Range 03.16.2021 21ft 2in circles.jpg Range 03.16.2021 15ft 2in cirlces.jpg Range 03.16.2021 SW 17 & Ruger M2 wScope.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Wow, the RM2 shot better than anything I've got & has an old BSA 3-9 scope on it that I really liked.
    I should have taken the time to take it out to 15 yds to see how it would shoot in my hands since I was getting 1 ragged hole with 5 rds at 10 yds!
    I rested the long barrel of the RM2 (7 or 8") on a bag which took away the "jiggling" of the crosshairs with my hands only on a rest.
    The MKII is fully capable of doing the same at 15 yards and further as long as you can steady the gun. In shooting many thousands of rounds through MKIIs and original series 22/45s about the only 22lr "handgun" I have that can out shoot them consistently is a TC Contender. And that is from a rest.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The MKII is fully capable of doing the same at 15 yards and further as long as you can steady the gun. In shooting many thousands of rounds through MKIIs and original series 22/45s about the only 22lr "handgun" I have that can out shoot them consistently is a TC Contender. And that is from a rest.
    Me being able to steady to gun is the X factor. :dunno:

I have a "common" Mark 3 that I picked up from Zachcz in a combo rifle & handgun buy over a year ago.
    I only wanted the rifle but the price was so good I had to buy the Mark 3 also (rifle long gone).
    I put an optic on the Mark 3 & find it shoots as good as the best I have.

I stayed away from the Mark 3 due to alleged difficulty with assembly for the novice.
    Now I can't sell it since it shoots so good. :nono:
    I had another Mark 3 I bought from Aeroflyer, that had great upgrades & shot fantastically.
    I ended up trading it off b/c I felt I needed money, but I should have kept it & sold my SW 41.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got an unusual 6" barrel gun I've wanted for months: shipped in from Michigan.
    Walther SP22, made in 2008-2010.
    I'm replacing a 4" version of the gun I picked up here from a member.
    This variant comes with a picatinny rail so I can put a scope on it & other upgrades.
    Conveniently it came with tools & extra front sights that people usually lose along the way.

In the 1st & 2nd row in the range pic, I was adjusting the rear iron sights, but I didn't keep working with tightening the groups b/c I wanted to get the scope on.
    I should have put the front of the barrel on a bag like I did with the scope.

On the 4th row I put an old Nikon Force XR 2X20 EER Handgun Scope & started adjusting.
    By the 3rd row I got it better, but nothing like the ragged 1 holes that the Ruger M2 was doing yesterday I had borrowed from a friend here.
    I used 150 rounds of CCI SV & it shot with only two FTFire, but there was a good strike on the rim, so it was ammo related.

I don't intend to keep this for the long haul, but I enjoy trying out something different.

Pic wScope left side.jpg Pic wScope right side.jpg Range 03.17.2021 6 inch barrel 1st day.jpg

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    How is the trigger? Is it consistent shot to shot? Pounds don't matter much to me as long as it's consistent.
    I heard some of those plastic triggers vary shot to shot? Or maybe that was the guys excuse.

Top Bottom