• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm trying to sell, but every once in awhile something comes along that you just have to go for it.
    A member put me on to gun that I already had but this one was on steroids.

A rare Browning Buckmark Silhouette Target pistol:
    - Introduced in 1987
    - 10" heavy barrel
    - wood grips
    - wood forearm
    - extended magazine release
    - flat adjustable trigger
    - halo ring
    - drop-free magazine
    - threaded barrel
    - compensator

Quite an upgrade from my beloved Browning Buckmark Hunter Target 7.25" barrel.
    The 7.25 has already been sold to help pay for the 10" barrel.

left side.jpg right side.jpg

Pic in trunk when I picked up the Silhouette in Ft. Wayne.
    left side original pic.jpg

right side original pic.jpg

original pic looking down sights.jpg

I took range targets with & w/o a scope on both pistols.

21' with no scope using CCI SV using a rest for grip & barrel.
    #1-4 with the 7.25" barrel.
    #5-10 with the 10" barrel.
    Range 7.09.2021 New & old at 21' no scope.jpg

These pics with scope: I took the scope off the 7.25" & put it on the 10".
    Row 1 at 30' with 7.25" Hunter Target.
    Row 2 at 45' with 7.25" Hunter Target.
    Row 3 at 45' with 10" Silhouette Target.
    Rows 4-6 at 30' with 10" Silhouette Target.
    The 45' targets could have been better, but scope was set up for 30'.
    My POA was 1"- 1.5" inch below my POI on the 45' targets.
    Range 7.09.2021 New 10in & old 7.25 wScope.jpg

Browning Buckmark Target Hunter 7.25" barrel.
    Gun in bag.JPG

7.25 with scope.
    Hunter 7.25 wScope left side wslide back.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Browning target rigs back in the day were 5.5, 10 and 14 inch. They had the trigger overtravel adj and adjustable sear engagement.

The no sight ful rib was the varmint model. Silhouette models had ribs and sights ( snap on sight covers too).

Dunno if all had the forend or if an option on silhouette models.

Dad had the 5.5, 10 and 14.

I have a 5.5 w a Countour bbl swapped in and it wears a reflex sight.

Also have a Burris 3-12x AO pistol scope....but if I scored a Varmint Buckmark Id proly go w the lighter non AO 4x Leupold EER.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I could put the Burris on an Exemplar but man thats dang near rifle size and weight. Cool range toy but am older and more cranky and handguns, well.....I think should be.....handy.

Ive got a Volq High Standard HTM bbl w comp too. That too would take the handgun into the PITA realm of size and weight.

For the bench only folks these kinda rigs are fun. It seems as it you really want to hunt/ shoot you need at least three rigs. Iron sight handy rig, some reflex speed rig and a scoped tank to burn the match ammo LOL

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Browning target rigs back in the day were 5.5, 10 and 14 inch. They had the trigger overtravel adj and adjustable sear engagement.

The no sight ful rib was the varmint model. Silhouette models had ribs and sights ( snap on sight covers too).

Dunno if all had the forend or if an option on silhouette models.

Dad had the 5.5, 10 and 14.

I have a 5.5 w a Countour bbl swapped in and it wears a reflex sight.

Also have a Burris 3-12x AO pistol scope....but if I scored a Varmint Buckmark Id proly go w the lighter non AO 4x Leupold EER.
    I just read this am about the 14" Silhouette: WOW!!!
    And, I saw where they came with the hooded sight covers front & rear like you said.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Nice shooting with the 10 incher. Used to shoot my MK II 10" until I couldn't see the sights well anymore.

Also have a scoped equipped 10" TC and 10" KIDD barreled Ruger Charger that I wanted to do a shoot off with sometime.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice shooting with the 10 incher. Used to shoot my MK II 10" until I couldn't see the sights well anymore.

Also have a scoped equipped 10" TC and 10" KIDD barreled Ruger Charger that I wanted to do a shoot off with sometime.
    I am looking forward to more range time with it.
    I think I'll adjust the scope for 45' instead of 30' since I think it can handle it.
    I needed to adjust POI lower, but there is no adjustment left in the dial, so I'll have to fine out how that is reset.

I love doing shoot offs with guns I own. ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a truly good time today. :rockwoot:
    After church, I met Zachcz at an outdoor range in Shelbyville & this was my 2nd time visiting (alot of standing water today! :eek:).
    Met Zach there last Thursday & it's nice getting to an outdoor range again since I haven't yet tried to fight the back up on 65/465 for me to get around to MCFG on the West side of INDY yet this year.
    I guess I should try it once just to see how bad it is where 65 & 465 intersect, but it gets clogged up just over here on 465 East.

I've not taken any of my "accuracy" 22 rifles yet that I settled on last summer at MCFG, after trying out a dozen different ones.
    Fired at my 3.5" & 5" steel & Zach's 8" steel. Haven't bought a paper hanging stand yet.
    Zach has one he bought at Rural King, but I want something different.
    Took the Henry Pump again (for steel, not accuracy) & "new" Browning Buckmark Silhouette Target 10" I bought Thursday, that I'm so thrilled with, & SW 17-4, Heritage RR 16" & SW 41.
    I realized I never got my larger grips for the Heritage RR 16" revolver that has the green rear & red front sights that is a joy to shoot! :)
    My order didn't go through June 3rd & had to order again. :ugh:
    3 of 4 of the above guns bought from INGO members & the other Zach found for me! :ingo:

We both went to Walmart afterwards & got our limit of 2 of Ammo.
    Today was Federal Automatch (325 rds) & CCI Mini-Mags (100 rds.)
    Looked for stands to put paper targets on for the new outdoor range but they didn't have any, just steel.
    Went to Rural King to exchange an item & looked at their outdoor paper stands, where Zach bought his.
    I wanted something a little different & have spent time this evening trying to find something online.
    Shelbyville outdoor range has a 50 yard rifle range that I intend to use, but if I want to use 100 yds this summer I'll have to get over to MCFG.

Last edited:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Shelbyville > Indianapolis is moral of the story. Fop is a nice hidden gem range I think. Doesn’t hurt it’s just a couple minutes from home.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Shelbyville > Indianapolis is moral of the story. Fop is a nice hidden gem range I think. Doesn’t hurt it’s just a couple minutes from home.
    I'm glad you found out about it.
    The drive through the country from Shelbyville is one of my favorites whether I'm in the car or MC.
    I looked but didn't see any target stands last night on the "Net" that turned my head.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    As per my "trimming plan," I've sold off most of my semi-auto .22LR pistols and revolvers at this point.
    I was down to only 1 revolver, the Dan Wesson 8" barrel, 54 oz. that I bought off a member here.
    I "accidentally" picked up a 1962 Hi-Standard revolver :dunno: that I really enjoy b/c it was so different from the DW.
    Next I was "forced" by another member to buy a Ruger SP101 :whistle:unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago, and it reminds me of the Hi-Standard, but with rear adjustable sights, so I will sell the Hi-Standard when I get around to it.

The top two contenders for winning my "accuracy award" was the two semi-autos that I bought off a member here: S/W 41 & a Ruger Mark 3 with a Volquartsen barrel & trigger work, of which I'd like to add some grips to it sometime. In fact, I need to refurbish or replace the ones on the Smith 41 to suit me.
    I intend to sell one of them eventually, but they are different enough that I enjoy each, so no hurry there.
    I think the Mark 3 with the Volquartsen barrel might have the edge in accuracy but I could be the X-factor there. It will be fun finding out
    Opportunity knocked and again I was prodded into picking up a little Beretta Bobcat :), since I enjoy the challenge of shooting a micro accurately.

Range pic below, all rounds were shot w/o a rest.
    The Hi-Standard (top at 21' & 30') has a mean D/A trigger pull which makes staying on target a challenge (must a 30# pull, really!).
    S/A is great, but the sights are fixed, so it isn't going to be too accurate in with my eyes: it's days are numbered.
    At 30" the DW does great in S/A (left of middle target where I drew the green "X" & the D/A (middle target) is sweet, but I'll have to learn to shoot it in D/A.
    I just love pinking with the diminutive Bobcat, no matter what the distance (21' on left bottom & 15' on right), it seems like a bonus to get any rounds actually in the red. :lmfao:
    I painted the sights but still can't hardly see. :ugh:
    I'll take it out to 30' next time to see if I can hit the circle at all.
    wBVoN0v.jpg
    I've got a S&W 2206 that is very accurate.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I splurged & bought the SW 317 AirLight 3" .22LR revolver in the Classifieds b/c I've wanted for one for years.
    I've missed out 4 times in the past getting one.
    Had to pay more than what I could have bought one for a year or two ago, but they hardly ever come up for sale & it took me a couple of weeks to get in the frame of mind to do so.
    But, a SW revolver will do that to a person.

Fun part was that when I met the member at Point Blank & got to shoot his Taurus TX competition, Mark 4 with upgrades with a 1# trigger & a Glock 17 with a 19 slide on it, everything with red dots.

I had low expectations for a 3" barrel.
    I had a Taurus 342 & Ruger LCRx in .22LR in a 3" barrel & didn't keep either long & I had to find if the SW 317 could shoot any better.
    At least it responded to the rear sight adjustments.

1st pic was the 3.75" circles with the SW 317.
    Used Blazer 38 grain 1235 FPS solid lead nose.
    Left column was SAO.
    Left top was hand & barrel on a rest.
    Left middle was just hands on a rest.
    Left bottom was using no rests.

Middle column & right column were DAO, which is what I prefer shooting with a revolver.
    Top was using a rest for hands & barrel.
    Middle was using only a hand rest.
    Bottom was using no rest.
    Range 7.19.2021 1st time Unfired.jpg

Ruger LCRx about the same in the past.
    I was using CCI SV, if that makes a difference.
    Range 5.14.2021 DA & SA 21ft..jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got around shooting the Heritage RR with the larger grips installed.
    Much more comfortable.
    The red fiber front optics with green rear fiber optics is awesome for my eyes.
    I did use a barrel rest as well as a hand rest.

Ignore top row since it was the SW 317 3" that I couldn't get into the 1.75" circles.
    Bottom row left side was at 21' & right side was at 30'.
    Maybe a hair better at 21" with new grips.
    5 rounds each 1.75 circle using Blazer 38 gr 1235 FPS, lead solid nose.
    Range 07.20.2021 21 & 30ft wNew grips.jpg

From the past with 21' but no 30' to compare with.
    Using Federal Automatch Target rounds.
    1.75" circles.
    Range 06.02.2021. 15 & 21 ft..jpg holding new grip on gun.jpg

Top Bottom