• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Tried that a couple weeks ago. Neighbors dogs came running to the call and were running around 20' away during my howling sequence. I was quiet for a bit, and went to pup in distress. I'll take free live decoys.

Anyone tried breeding sounds yet? I about tried some last weekend, and was thinking I was a shade early

I tried breeding sounds after the snow on Saturday. No action.

I have been pretty conservative with distress type calls. I think when the weather gets a little rougher this weekend into next week…distress type stuff will be more effective.

We typically have a healthy population of coyotes on the family farm. My Dad watches it like a hawk and has only seen a yote or two passing through. Our neighbor with a hog farm operation stopped by and told us that a guy thermal hunting it has killed 30 this fall/winter.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    It has gotten and continues to become more popular. Prices keep coming down for night vision and thermal scopes, making it more affordable to get into. Like so many other things gun and hunting related, it is good for the sport. Not so much for individuals. We do owe it to the next generation to teach them and be good stewards of the sport we love. It would’ve been nice if I had a mentor to teach me the finer points of coyote hunting. Instead, it has taken me years to start figuring it out. I’ve watched videos, read articles and listened to podcasts. But those are not a replacement for time spent in the field with an experienced hunter. Plus, the storytelling and friendships built are not there.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I'm heading out to try some new properties tonight. I think they have some great potential, so I'm hoping for some good results. Always get nervous/excited when trying new places.
    I've just looked at them on OnX , this will be the first time setting foot out there .

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I'm heading out to try some new properties tonight. I think they have some great potential, so I'm hoping for some good results. Always get nervous/excited when trying new places.
    I've just looked at them on OnX , this will be the first time setting foot out there .
    Those get me excited too, just got a new place yesterday, chomping to go.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Well that was a miserable 2 nights of hunting. I hate hunting east winds but had some new places I thought would be slam dunks, boy was I wrong!

Didn't see a thing in Friday, not even a response. Last night not much better. Seen 1 laying in the field as we were setting up. It was 450+ yards and as soon as we started the call, it got up and walked the other way. Last set of the night we had 2 bedded at 400+ yards again. Start the call and started scanning, low and behold we had one about 75 yards out that we didn't see when we got there. Must have been laying in a drainage ditch, staying out of the wind. It wanted nothing to do with the call either. We were able to get it stopped and dropped it. The other 2 stayed where they were and finally wandered off after about 20 minutes.

Really didn't see any deer or coons at all and all yotes were layed up out of the wind in some sort of drainage. Zero positive response to calls.

+1=9

Attachments

• 20240204_011905.jpg
      20240204_011905.jpg
      413 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Watched two mousing a field a week ago, I don’t have permission to hunt that field. Tried calling them across the property line. They weren’t playing. Got a look every now and then, but they pretty much ignored the call the whole time. Watched them for about 45 minutes before they went the opposite direction.
    That’s hunting.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Every year I say I am going to try hunting them, but I never do. I can currently hear two different packs from my front porch in two different directions. Dogs are going crazy.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Interested to hear what sounds are working right now for people. I’m getting lots of vocal response but not much in the way of shooting/visual action.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I did some vocals this morning and got a response. Waited a bit and played a 15-20 seconds of the same and shut it off. A few minutes later they were challenge howl/yipping at me (close), I figured I was busted somehow. Turned on some intense pup distress and he rushed in and stopped looking at my decoy tail.

Dropped him and immediately the other one lit up. I tried a yote distress after the shot but she was having nothing to do with me but bark and yip. Never did lay eyes on her but it was pretty close. I used my 204. Which isn't suppressed, so I'm sure that didn't help any. It's got a pretty good bark to it.

Last week I had similar experience as you. Plenty of vocal responses . Either they were no shows or head the opposite direction. I think we should start seeing better responses now. Breeding should be getting into full swing. I'm hoping my male to female ratio starts changing, I'm at about 90% males.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Post 32 was at 11. Post 35 added 2 more and 36 2 more...so are we at 15?

I can add 8 to that count that hubby has taken here so far.

Top Bottom