Not open for further replies.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    To quote the late Keith Jackson, "WHOA NELLIE!!"

HB 1077, Firearms Matters, pretty much is SB 14 except for:

SECTION 12. IC 35-47-2-3, AS AMENDED BY P.L.165-2021, 26 SECTION 196, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2022]: Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry who is at least eighteen (18) years of age and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a handgun shall apply: under state or federal law is not required to obtain or possess a license or permit from the state to carry a handgun in Indiana.

A resident of this state who wishes to carry a firearm in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by this state and another state may obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana under this chapter

Happy to glad change on what the Reciprocity License is called ("Optional License" under SB 14, formerly called a Reciprocity License in HB 1369 last year.)

Eliminates the "under 21 requirement for a LTCH" in SB 14.

I think this is the bill that may come out of conference committee and have the "21 and over" requirement in SB 14. Likewise SB 14 could come out of conference committee and drop the under 21/LTCH required for carry part.

This is happening fast. It is up for hearing on 5 January. It is the only bill currently up for hearing in the Public Policy Committee on that day.

Last year when HB 1369 came up for hearing, we were in the room for 4 HOURS! The Pro-2A contingent outnumbered the antis for the first time EVER! We won the battle (HB 1369 passed the House 65-31) but weren't allowed to win the war last year.

Chairman Smaltz knows this will be a long hearing once again and has set it up for a lot of testimony. He will not have the gavel since it's his bill. Vice Chair Peggy Mayfield (who ran the hearing for HB 1369) will have the gavel. She called witnesses anti/pro/anti/pro last year, I look for that again.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time to bring the heat once again.
    As quick as this is coming up, it deserves its own thread. Unfortunately I'm out of town on the 5th.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As quick as this is coming up, it deserves its own thread. Unfortunately I'm out of town on the 5th.
    Bring the heat via email!! Call and leave a message!! I remember meeting you at the Statehouse, you spoke from the heart. I wish you could be there again. Wait, you can! There will be other committee hearings and other bills!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB 143: Self Defense. Assigned to the Corrections and Criminal Law Committee. This was SB 199 last year, passed the Senate, didn't get called for a House Committee hearing (Guy was there ready to testify, so was I. We were ****ed the **** off this didn't get a hearing after passing the Senate.)

Committee is solid, important bill. Not ConC but if I can be there for this one I will be there.

Draft email below as is the link to the committee. Feel free to copy/paste/edit/change happy to glad/fix my English/etc.

Senator,

I am writing to encourage your support of SB 143, Self Defense. Authored by Senators Baldwin, Michael Young, and Garten, this bill corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

SB 143 does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, SB 143 does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What SB 143 does do is accurately define deadly force.

Over 20 years ago, the Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State that the act of pointing a firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility (the basis of the Nantz decision) are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. SB 143 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

SB 143 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1077, Firearms Matters. Link to Public Policy Committee below. Lets light them up, hearing is 5 January.

Representative,

I am writing to urge your support of HB 1077, Firearms Matters. This bill was authored by Representative Smaltz and co-authored by Representative Lehman.

This bill codifies the lawful carry of handguns, and comes at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 21 States with permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who opposed such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting. This is further proved by the fact that no State which has repealed its handgun licensing scheme, has re-instated it because it drove an increase in criminal activity. Put simply: the law-abiding don’t commit crimes. Criminals commit crimes and are undeterred by licensing schemes.

HB 1077 does not change the definition of “proper person” that currently exists, nor does it make it lawful to possess a firearm when an individual is currently a prohibited possessor.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), and the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law”, and “Church Carry” (2019). Again, the dire consequences predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

Of the 21 States with Constitutional Carry of handguns, 20 previously had handgun licensing requirements. Zero States have reinstated the licensing requirement.

I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    INGO call to action (BLARNT!! BLARNT!!) Operation Fill Their Inboxes is underway!

HB 1077 is up for hearing on 5 January.

Post #64 (above) has a sample email and the link to the Public Policy Committee (click members, the member's name, then send email.)

Committee members (at least the R's) and your Rep need their inboxes full when they get back on Monday

Also, The 2A Project will be sending out a call to action later today

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    INGO call to action (BLARNT!! BLARNT!!) Operation Fill Their Inboxes is underway!

Post #64 (above) has a sample email and the link to the Public Policy Committee (click members, the member's name, then send email.)

Committee members (at least the R's) and your Rep need their inboxes full when they get back on Monday

Done.

Sent to all Rs, with my embellishments and customizations. I am hopeful their Webmail server will be groaning by Tuesday morning.

Thank you for all your work on this KellyinAvon. It is appreciated and just continues your service to our Nation and State.

ETA: If you have non-INGO acquaintenances, send'em a link to posts 63 and 64. I am going to text those URLs to some of my friends with a gentle nudge to write their State Legicritters.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Constitutional Carry Reintroduced and Set for Hearing on Jan. 5​

CALL TO ACTION!​

The 2A Project has been working with legislators since the end of the 2021 session of the Indiana General Assembly to reintroduce and ultimately pass Constitutional Carry ("permitless carry") in Indiana. The inescapable logic behind this bill is that law-abiding Hoosiers should not have to beg permission from the government in order to exercise a Constitutionally-protected freedom. Those efforts took a major step forward this week when HB 1077, "Firearm Matters" was filed in the legislature for the 2022 session and assigned to the Public Policy Committee. HB1077 is authored by Rep. Ben Smaltz (chairman of the Public Policy Committee) and Rep. Matt Lehman. We expect several other pro-2A legislators to join the bill as co-authors as well.​

Importantly, the bill has already been set for a hearing in the Public Policy Committee on Wednesday, January 5. The hearing will take place in Conference Room 404 in the Statehouse in Indianapolis at 1:30 pm. The 2A Project is asking for all of its members to make every effort to attend this hearing and wear your T2AP hats and shirts as a show of support. This type of involvement is exactly why we formed The 2A Project and your support is critical.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

As always, excellent post, Kelly! My Rep (Jeffery Thompson), is very 2A friendly and has called me regarding emails I've sent...so I was able to send a very brief email as I know he's in support.

Share it far and wide fellas...

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

Constitutional Carry Reintroduced and Set for Hearing on Jan. 5​

CALL TO ACTION!​

The 2A Project has been working with legislators since the end of the 2021 session of the Indiana General Assembly to reintroduce and ultimately pass Constitutional Carry ("permitless carry") in Indiana. The inescapable logic behind this bill is that law-abiding Hoosiers should not have to beg permission from the government in order to exercise a Constitutionally-protected freedom. Those efforts took a major step forward this week when HB 1077, "Firearm Matters" was filed in the legislature for the 2022 session and assigned to the Public Policy Committee. HB1077 is authored by Rep. Ben Smaltz (chairman of the Public Policy Committee) and Rep. Matt Lehman. We expect several other pro-2A legislators to join the bill as co-authors as well.​

Importantly, the bill has already been set for a hearing in the Public Policy Committee on Wednesday, January 5. The hearing will take place in Conference Room 404 in the Statehouse in Indianapolis at 1:30 pm. The 2A Project is asking for all of its members to make every effort to attend this hearing and wear your T2AP hats and shirts as a show of support. This type of involvement is exactly why we formed The 2A Project and your support is critical.

My The Second Amendment Project membership is money well spent!

Thank you Mr. Relford!

ZeroOrBust

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2021
    Dyer
    I’m a little confused by the comment in #65, “at least the R’s”. My rep (District 1) is one of the most anti America/Constitution representatives in Indiana IMO. Because he's not on the committee should I or should I not also email him? I’ve always been of the opinion that the D's need to hear from us as much if not more than the R's but will it do more harm than good at this point?

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    Zero,
    I usually contact (regardless of party):
    Each member of the committee
    The leader of the Senate/house
    The rep/senator for my district.

Emails will go out this weekend to the house, due to the speed of the bill. I will send postcards to the senators on Monday

ZeroOrBust

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2021
    Dyer
    Zero,
    I usually contact (regardless of party):
    Each member of the committee
    The leader of the Senate/house
    The rep/senator for my district.

Emails will go out this weekend to the house, due to the speed of the bill. I will send postcards to the senators on Monday
    Thanks!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I’m a little confused by the comment in #65, “at least the R’s”. My rep (District 1) is one of the most anti America/Constitution representatives in Indiana IMO. Because he's not on the committee should I or should I not also email him? I’ve always been of the opinion that the D's need to hear from us as much if not more than the R's but will it do more harm than good at this point?
    goldtrigger beat me to it ZoB. This will pass committee I am sure. Last year's HB 1369 (referred to as Lawful Carry of handguns) passed the committee on party-line vote and the entire House 65-31 (one D voted for it, had a "D" grade from NRA-PVF so I figure it was the wrong button or a rules-thing to pull something later.)

Definitely send it to your Rep (Jackson? Has an "F" from NRA-PVF) I recommended the R's on committee also, but if you want to send it to the D's go for it. Justin Moed WAS endorsed by NRA-PVF until that No vote on HB 1369 last year. Vanessa Summmers is an enemy of our gun rights. Terri Austin will be a No vote. Blake Johnson replaced Dan Forestal, don't know about him/probably an anti.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    goldtrigger beat me to it ZoB. This will pass committee I am sure. Last year's HB 1369 (referred to as Lawful Carry of handguns) passed the committee on party-line vote and the entire House 65-31 (one D voted for it, had a "D" grade from NRA-PVF so I figure it was the wrong button or a rules-thing to pull something later.)

Definitely send it to your Rep (Jackson? Has an "F" from NRA-PVF) I recommended the R's on committee also, but if you want to send it to the D's go for it. Justin Moed WAS endorsed by NRA-PVF until that No vote on HB 1369 last year. Vanessa Summmers is an enemy of our gun rights. Terri Austin will be a No vote. Blake Johnson replaced Dan Forestal, don't know about him/probably an anti.
    My R Rep Aylesworth voted against it.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    (A little on the lighter side before I bump the Operation Fill Their Inboxes post)

HB 1013: State fossil. Designates the mastodon as the official state fossil of Indiana.

The mastodon?? WTH?? Amend this bill and name State Senator Frank Mrvan (D, District 1) as the Indiana State Fossil. :laugh: :lmfao: The hills called, they said, "That dude is OLD!!" :laugh:
    :lmfao:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    (A little on the lighter side before I bump the Operation Fill Their Inboxes post)

HB 1013: State fossil. Designates the mastodon as the official state fossil of Indiana.

The mastodon?? WTH?? Amend this bill and name State Senator Frank Mrvan (D, District 1) as the Indiana State Fossil. :laugh: :lmfao: The hills called, they said, "That dude is OLD!!" :laugh:
    :lmfao:
    Good use of time :n00b:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Bumpa da thread! Operation Fill Their Inboxes is in full swing. See post #64 for sample email and link to the Public Policy Committee.

Let our elected officials know that we are out here and we are paying attention.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    If you follow Guy Relford on Facebook you probably saw this. There is a hearing this coming Wednesday January 5th on concealed carry at the statehouse. I plan to attend.

https://fb.me/e/1hVLVDnZF

On Wednesday, Jan. 5, the Public Policy Committee in the Indiana House of Representatives is holding a hearing on HB1077, the Constitutional Carry bill supported by The 2A Project this year. We are asking every T2AP member to make every effort to attend this hearing (wearing your T2AP hats and shirts) if possible! T2AP founder Guy Relford will be testifying in support of the bill.
    The hearing will be at 1:30 pm in Conference Room 404 in the Indiana Statehouse.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom