• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks, I know for sure I wanna do garlic and onions. I’ve heard BBQ sauce or chicken broth so not sure which would be better to smoke with. I just don’t want a dry turkey, that’s the worst
    I've heard if you wrap the turkey in 2 pounds of bacon it stays really moist.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Alright so...I want to give smoking a try...but I want to try it out as cheaply as possible to see if I'm really into it. Suggestions?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Alright so...I want to give smoking a try...but I want to try it out as cheaply as possible to see if I'm really into it. Suggestions?
    I’d probably start with Marlboro lights, then if you’re into it maybe work up to menthols.

Honestly I have an offset smoker and a pellet smoker. The pellet smoker is almost cheating. Fill the hopper with wood pellets, turn it on, set the temp, go to bed. This late in the year I would wait and start watching for sales on them

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I got started with the Weber kettle I already owned and watched a YouTube vid on using the "snake method". I've since upgraded to a Weber verticle smoker and like suggested to you, I'm gonna be eyeballing a pellet smoker in the off season.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I really like the idea of pellet to be able to set it and forget it. As much as I think I'd enjoy the activity of smoking (for me it would be piddling around outside, drinking and smoking cigars), my life currently seems to be non-stop between work and family. Something that needs a lot of attention and monitoring probably would ruin the fun for me at this point. Would I be banished for buying a cheap pellet smoker to start with and try out?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    While shopping this morning I found the meat dept seriously lacking. Except this one whole beef brisket hiding at the end.
    They did have plenty of Beef tongue and chicken gizzards though...lol.
    I scooped up the Brisket and will be spending the day outside by the smoker

Attachments

• 20210926_091639.jpg
      20210926_091639.jpg
      2.5 MB · Views: 15
    • 20210926_092047.jpg
      20210926_092047.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 14
    • 1632666547468701327023816452757.jpg
      1632666547468701327023816452757.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 14

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Got some burgers going over hickory that are about done. I'll smoke cajun-spiced chicken for the week later this evening.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I really like the idea of pellet to be able to set it and forget it. As much as I think I'd enjoy the activity of smoking (for me it would be piddling around outside, drinking and smoking cigars), my life currently seems to be non-stop between work and family. Something that needs a lot of attention and monitoring probably would ruin the fun for me at this point. Would I be banished for buying a cheap pellet smoker to start with and try out?

If you want to spend under $1k, the pellet grill is going to be the most "set it and forget it" option but will also be the shortest life span option. Moving parts and electronics are simply going to go wrong before something without them. Any offset in that range will require fiddling. You can get some cheap smoker options that will require less fiddling, but they will not have the flexibility of a pellet grill in that they will smoke but nothing else, whereas you can grill with a pellet grill and maybe even bake. Barrel smokers, for example, not a lot of money and once the fire is right it will stay right for a long time, but you can't do anything but smoke.

If you're willing to spend $1k something like "The Good One" as an offset smoker will be "set it and forget it" for a very long time. The really thick metal, quality vents, etc. will not require much fiddling once you've got it adjusted and you won't have to add fuel for anything but the longest of cooks. You can also grill on them.

Finally you have the kamado style grills. Very cheap to run long term, very flexible in that you can smoke, grill, bake and it's very much set it and forget it as well.

Just depends on what you value, you can get good results with any of the options. I'm really happy with my kamado.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Do your research. There’s a forum (smokingmeatforums.com) that I browse around on sometimes trying to learn new things, and I came across a budget pellet smoker thread. Lots of input and experience. One that stands out was req-tec. (Post 37 in this thread)

Pellet smokers are notorious for parts going out after about 3 years of good use. I use mine at least once a week, sometimes more. Ask around (like you are) and read up on customer service reviews, because a lot of those parts will be replaced free if you go with the right guys. Most have warranties, but with good customer service warranties aren’t needed.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom