• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The camp chef Facebook page isn’t any better. They flip out if you are near any structure or under any type of shelter. I smoke under my gazebo all the time without incident. Knock on wood. I guess a few people have had bad luck smoking. Hope you continue to have safe cooks.
    People are lazy and don’t keep their stuff clean.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    If anyone is interested, meijer had pork butts on sale for 0.99 a pound. I picked up a few for the deep freezer. The one in camby only had 3 left and they were nearing the “sell by” date.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Got a turkey smoking over mulberry, which was kind of a last minute decision because *someone* didn't remember they'd used the last chunks of pecan wood and didn't replace them. (Me. I'm the someone). Mulberry smokes like apple, and apple is good with white meat so we'll see.

Brined overnight, then salt/pepper/garlic rub over mustard binder then hit with a bit of cajun spice blend.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This evening I'm processing the last of the Armenian cucumbers from the garden into an experimental batch of kimchi to see how they work out. Chilis, ginger and garlic I guess. Maybe some tumeric...
    :)

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    10# pork butt. Grill hit 500 degrees and added a pan of water on bottom shelf. Cooking for 7-8 hours then foiling and add some brown sugar/barbecue sauce I make. Going to let it set on low heat for a couple hours then pull off to a warm cooler to rest an hour ride to a horse show for pulled pork samiches for the gang at the 4-H park. 4657FD4A-A153-4667-9E8F-79760A1917E1.jpeg 16B54D1A-F088-43B6-959F-E2CFDB07E1CE.jpeg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    10# pork butt. Grill hit 500 degrees and added a pan of water on bottom shelf. Cooking for 7-8 hours then foiling and add some brown sugar/barbecue sauce I make. Going to let it set on low heat for a couple hours then pull off to a warm cooler to rest an hour ride to a horse show for pulled pork samiches for the gang at the 4-H park. View attachment 158993 View attachment 158994

How did it turn out?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This evening I'm processing the last of the Armenian cucumbers from the garden into an experimental batch of kimchi to see how they work out. Chilis, ginger and garlic I guess. Maybe some tumeric...
    :)
    Gents, this stuff is delicious.
    Got a second batch brewing.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Curious...

How often do folks clean their smokers other than the cooking grates.
    Uhhhhhhhhh never, lol.
    I shovel/vac out the ash and unburnt coals and wood but that's it. Mine runs year round so there's no end of season maintenance needed.
    DISCLAIMER: You may want to wait for the fellow members that know WTF they're talking about to weigh in before running with my botulism recipe........................just sayin'.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Uhhhhhhhhh never, lol.
    I shovel/vac out the ash and unburnt coals and wood but that's it. Mine runs year round so there's no end of season maintenance needed.
    DISCLAIMER: You may want to wait for the fellow members that know WTF they're talking about to weigh in before running with my botulism recipe........................just sayin'.
    Lol I do pretty much the same. Vacuum out the ash, scrape the grates (just a quick once over since I have them off to vacuum). I occasionally wipe out the chimney, and wipe down the inside, if I’ve had a few drinks and looking to tinker before using it... but that isn’t often ;)

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Lol I do pretty much the same. Vacuum out the ash, scrape the grates (just a quick once over since I have them off to vacuum). I occasionally wipe out the chimney, and wipe down the inside, if I’ve had a few drinks and looking to tinker before using it... but that isn’t often ;)
    I clean ash out and use a wire brush on the grates. Sometimes I pull them and set them out in the rain to soften but really don’t get much build up on it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Curious...

How often do folks clean their smokers other than the cooking grates.

My kamado, never. You can get it pizza oven hot if you need to ash any residue.

My offset, I'll wash the insides and re-oil after doing any oily fish. I use it at lower temperatures and fishy residue can "flavor" the next not fish thing.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I clean ash out and use a wire brush on the grates. Sometimes I pull them and set them out in the rain to soften but really don’t get much build up on it.
    Only time I really get any build up on the grates are on the overnight smokes like pork butts and briskets, and I usually only scrape them to get the big grease chunks off. Other than that, meh, it’ll cook off or help flavor whatever I’m cooking.

Only spot I really make sure is clean is the grease track and ashes. The rest is dependent on how many drinks I’ve had.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom