• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    While shopping this morning I found the meat dept seriously lacking. Except this one whole beef brisket hiding at the end.
    They did have plenty of Beef tongue and chicken gizzards though...lol.
    I scooped up the Brisket and will be spending the day outside by the smoker
    Beautiful view, beautiful dog, relaxing and cooking good food. That’s what life’s about. That’s a good day

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Pellet smokers are notorious for parts going out after about 3 years of good use. I use mine at least once a week, sometimes more. Ask around (like you are) and read up on customer service reviews, because a lot of those parts will be replaced free if you go with the right guys. Most have warranties, but with good customer service warranties aren’t needed.

You're going to cry if you have an expensive brisket on when it goes out, though. Or at least I would.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Depending on what kind of charcoal grill you have you may be able to press it into smoker duty. If it happens to be a weber kettle this is really easy, and is all a lot of people use. It is by far the cheapest way to try out smoking. If you want to jump right into big cooks then the kettle won't be that great.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Depending on what kind of charcoal grill you have you may be able to press it into smoker duty. If it happens to be a weber kettle this is really easy, and is all a lot of people use. It is by far the cheapest way to try out smoking. If you want to jump right into big cooks then the kettle won't be that great.

Yep....buddy does pork butts all the time on a Weber Kettle. Turns out well.

I would guess a whole packer would be tough to do on a kettle.

While not a "set it and forget it", the Weber Smokey Mountain is a reasonable cost (IMO) and does a great job once you have had some practice at dialing it in for holding a steady temp.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yep....buddy does pork butts all the time on a Weber Kettle.
    For sure. It's what i used the first 5 years or so, then built a drum smoker that uses 2 levels of weber 22.5" grates. Still use that after 15ish years, just bought a small zgrills last year on black friday for under $200.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    So the req tec story I was talking about was actually posted here, in this thread (post 37). I thought I had read it on smokingmeatforums but ghuns posted it here a while back. That’s great customer service, which is the most important thing when buying something, IMO.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Decided to try an approach I've seen on Youtube recently and injected a USDA Choice brisket I picked up from GFS with Wagyu tallow. It's been on since 1:45 at 275* and once it gets to the color I'm looking for and the fat has rendered enough I'll be wrapping it with butcher paper & more tallow to finish it off. Planning to have it for dinner tomorrow so it'll get a nice long rest in the cooler before I pop it into the oven at 145* to hold until I'm ready to slice it up.

HioZUK8h.jpg

0jKrUx0h.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Decided to try an approach I've seen on Youtube recently and injected a USDA Choice brisket I picked up from GFS with Wagyu tallow. It's been on since 1:45 at 275* and once it gets to the color I'm looking for and the fat has rendered enough I'll be wrapping it with butcher paper & more tallow to finish it off. Planning to have it for dinner tomorrow so it'll get a nice long rest in the cooler before I pop it into the oven at 145* to hold until I'm ready to slice it up.

HioZUK8h.jpg

0jKrUx0h.jpg
    Nice. That old smoke wagon looks like it’s getting the job done. Looks good.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Alright so...I want to give smoking a try...but I want to try it out as cheaply as possible to see if I'm really into it. Suggestions?
    I bought a Weber upright smoker at a garage sale to give smoking a try. It was cheap and worked ok. It did require a little more work but I did a 12# turkey and it was great. So I moved up to a ceramic smoker... again bought it used but it was like new. There are a lot of options and some are overkill but buy what you like! Lots of folks buy a couple or more before they settle into what fits them. Electric, charcoal.. pellet.. lots of choices. Good luck!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Alright so...I want to give smoking a try...but I want to try it out as cheaply as possible to see if I'm really into it. Suggestions?
    I have smoked meat using a hole I dug in the sand and a cardboard box. There's no magic to it, you just need to burn a clean hardwood fire (thin to invisible smoke) that's large enough to maintain the temp you want and hold it there. Controlling airflow works but produces a dirtier fire, adjusting the size of the fire to get your temp is the best way to go.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm calling yesterday's brisket a success which is the first time in a few years I've been happy with a brisket. It was a Choice brisket I picked up at GFS yesterday morning and got onto the smoker at 1:45. I wrapped it around 8:30 and moved it to the oven to finish cooking. I checked it at 203* internal and it felt good so I took it out of the oven and let it cool down to 180*. I then put the still wrapped brisket in a big ziplok bag and put it back in the oven with a couple of towels over it to hold at 140*.

Just sliced into it a few minutes ago and it's got everything I'm looking for. Super tender, juicy and slices nicely at the width of a pencil. I injected it with wagyu beef tallow and added some to the butcher paper when I wrapped it as well. I'll definitely be doing that again in future cooks.

6j9RlRch.jpg

qHXIbEnh.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom