• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    How long can you keep pork butts in the freezer?
    Depends. Forever, safety wise if kept below 0f. Cryovaced from the processor in a deep freeze? Taste wise 2-3 yrs. Maybe more. Store/home plastic wrapped, 4-6 months or so for taste.

I had one that was lost in the back for 4 yrs+. Tasted the same as one that had been in the freezer for 4 weeks. But I have an freezer that's manual defrost not self defrost and it stays at below -10f.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Anyone done this?...Tried a new method to load the smoker with a few slightly thawed food items. More efficient than one and done. About three hours 160 degrees low smoke (always use black cherry pellets), refroze the chuck roast for future crock pot, refrigerated the pork chop for a couple days then fried, and pulled the pork shoulder at 140 to 150 degrees cook temp to finish overnight in crockpot.

PXL_20210920_175920151.jpg PXL_20210921_001839140.jpg PXL_20210921_142821420.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    How long can you keep pork butts in the freezer?

FWIW, I smoked some pork butt back in August for a get together that got cancelled.

I cut it into thick slices / chunks and vac packed it along with the juicesformthe freezer. Boiled some in the vac pack bag last night.....The boil in the bag keeps it from drying out on a reheat.

Shreded it and it turned out great.

The only drawback is that when doing it this way, the balance of meat to fat is not as good as when shredding the whole butt.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    FWIW, I smoked some pork butt back in August for a get together that got cancelled.

I cut it into thick slices / chunks and vac packed it along with the juicesformthe freezer. Boiled some in the vac pack bag last night.....The boil in the bag keeps it from drying out on a reheat.

Shreded it and it turned out great.

The only drawback is that when doing it this way, the balance of meat to fat is not as good as when shredding the whole butt.
    I've vac sealed entire butts on several occasions and I use a sous vide cooker to reheat them, works great. They pull just like they came off the smoker that day.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Not trying to make anyone's butt sore, but when you smoke them, is it fat side up or down? Might require a taste test here.

LOL!

The old debate!

It depends on the smoker.

Do one each way and figure it out. The internet is filled with opiners with no skin in the matter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom