• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    SB 64 (Handgun Training for Teachers with croney capitalism carve out/ridiculously specific in who can do the training) sneaked by me and is up this PM in the Senate Ed committee. If it makes it to the House I'll do my best to get there to oppose it. Two days out in the first week of the month is a no-go for me.

I was told by the principal at our local school that the school board can appoint teachers to carry firearms if they wanted to. He said school boards have that authority to do that.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was told by the principal at our local school that the school board can appoint teachers to carry firearms if they wanted to. He said school boards have that authority to do that.
    That is correct. To my knowledge there are three school corporations that have gone this route. Jay County is one, their superintendent testified in support of Jim Lucas's teacher training bill in 2018. Jim's bill provided and recommended. Coach testified in support of that bill in Senate Committee. Aron got asked one question by a reasonable facsimile to Senator Obtuse, Coach made him look stupid.

Along with the crony capitalism SB 64 makes the (incredibly specific on who can do the training is the crony capitalism part) training mandatory for schools if they choose to arm staff. That's my main opposition to the bill.

School Boards are as local as it gets, especially in rural areas. The current school board for my (not Avon, the one I attended with cornfields on three sides) high school? I personally know three board members (one was in my class, one was in my wife's class, one I've known 45 years or more) and there's a fourth that I know his family. That's who I want making the decisions, not the bunch at 200 W Washington Street who have limited entries and more Troopers than I can count.

Plus I really hate crony capitalism.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK INGO, here's an update:

SB 64 is up in committee (looks like they didn't get to it and several other bills last week) on 10 Feb Wednesday at 1345. The committee is in the Senate Chamber so testimony will be in Room 431.

Public Policy committee has a late meeting scheduled at 1530 on the same day. No ConC bills. I'm watching this one, Public Policy usually doesn't put the meeting time and bills up this early. I'm keeping an eye on it to see if there will be another hearing early on the 10th.

Stay tuned to INGO for more updates.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Your state senator, and the Rs on the committee would be a good start. I think Aaron Freeman is on that committee, he is definitely a friend of the 2A.
    Well, my state Senator is J.D. Ford, so writing to him would be a waste.

I'll look up the committee members and get something written.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Well, my state Senator is J.D. Ford, so writing to him would be a waste.

I'll look up the committee members and get something written.

I wrote J.D. twice and he actually called me back each time. We had discussions and while we didn't agree... at all.. per se, I actually found him somewhat reasonable, for a D. I don't expect his vote on anything.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    This morning, I had a NAGR rep call. He was promoting constitutional carry and offered to connect me to my representatives office so that I could let them know my thoughts. I explained that I had sent postcards to the entire committee. ( I got a positive response from my rep, by the way.)
    Good to see this group (NAGR) is working on the issue!!!!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This morning, I had a NAGR rep call. He was promoting constitutional carry and offered to connect me to my representatives office so that I could let them know my thoughts. I explained that I had sent postcards to the entire committee. ( I got a positive response from my rep, by the way.)
    Good to see this group (NAGR) is working on the issue!!!!
    Unfortunately, if their past actions are any indication, NAGR cannot be trusted.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    (Constitutional Carry Bill up for hearing in committee sounder)

IT'S UP!!! 1530 on Wednesday 10 February!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the House Chambers on the third floor.

Testimony. Public testimony for committees held in the Statehouse House Chamber and IGCS House Chamber may occur in the chamber and from a separate location within IGCS.

i. Individuals seeking to testify at a committee meeting are encouraged to complete a witness appearance form that will be available on the IGA's webpage beginning at 7:00 a.m. on the day of the meeting.

1. Those who complete the online witness appearance form on the IGA's webpage should check in no sooner than 30 minutes prior to the start of the committee meeting.

2. For those who do not complete the online witness appearance form on the IGA's webpage, an opportunity to sign in as a witness will be available outside the committee room and alternate testimony room designated for the meeting starting 30 minutes before the start of the meeting.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The HB 1369 letter/email is below as is the link to the Public Policy committee. The R's on this committee are solid 2A supporters (three have their names on this bill, Jim Lucas has a similar bill and other committee members authored other ConC bills.)

Fill the inbox of your Rep and Senator as well as the R's on the committee. The ranking minority member Justin Moed is an NRA-ILA "A" so firing emails in his direction (maybe add the reminder of the endorsement, "As an NRA-ILA endorsed Representative...) too while we're at it!!

Senator/Representative,

I am writing to urge your support of HB 1369, Firearms Matters. This bill was authored by Representative Ben Smaltz and co-authored by Representatives Lehman, and Wesco at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 16 States that have permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who oppose such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), and the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law” (2019). The dire consequences predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

In 2019, no one saw the year 2020 coming. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation: our country gained 8.4 million new gun-owners in 2020. Early on citizens saw shortages of basic supplies and other things never before seen in this country due to the COVID pandemic. Police Departments were being depleted due to COVID exposure and subsequent quarantines. Later riots broke out across the country amidst calls to “defund and reimagine” the Police. People who would’ve depended on calling 911 in 2019 came to a horrific revelation in 2020: “You are on your own, no one is coming.”

If we learned anything from the year 2020, eventually you will have to leave your home. The essential right of self-defense does not stop at the property line. I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The HB 1369 letter/email is below as is the link to the Public Policy committee. The R's on this committee are solid 2A supporters (three have their names on this bill, Jim Lucas has a similar bill and other committee members authored other ConC bills.)

Fill the inbox of your Rep and Senator as well as the R's on the committee. The ranking minority member Justin Moed is an NRA-ILA "A" so firing emails in his direction (maybe add the reminder of the endorsement, "As an NRA-ILA endorsed Representative...) too while we're at it!!

Senator/Representative,

I am writing to urge your support of HB 1369, Firearms Matters. This bill was authored by Representative Ben Smaltz and co-authored by Representatives Lehman, and Wesco at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 16 States that have permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who oppose such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), and the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law” (2019). The dire consequences predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

In 2019, no one saw the year 2020 coming. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation: our country gained 8.4 million new gun-owners in 2020. Early on citizens saw shortages of basic supplies and other things never before seen in this country due to the COVID pandemic. Police Departments were being depleted due to COVID exposure and subsequent quarantines. Later riots broke out across the country amidst calls to “defund and reimagine” the Police. People who would’ve depended on calling 911 in 2019 came to a horrific revelation in 2020: “You are on your own, no one is coming.”

If we learned anything from the year 2020, eventually you will have to leave your home. The essential right of self-defense does not stop at the property line. I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email
    Bumpa da thread!! HB 1369 is up in the Public Policy Committee tomorrow Wednesday 10 February at 1530!! REAL WORLD---NOT AN EXERCISE!!!

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Looks like I shall see some of you'll at the hearing.. Keep us posted Kelly. You're doing a great job with the info so, Thank You!. I'll check back later when we have conformation of what room we need to be at.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Looks like I shall see some of you'll at the hearing.. Keep us posted Kelly. You're doing a great job with the info so, Thank You!. I'll check back later when we have conformation of what room we need to be at.
    House Chamber on the third floor. It sounds like only people testifying can enter the actual room. When I was there last week the metal detector people did ask me why I was there, this is the first time that has ever happened.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Personalized e-mails sent to each committee member. (why do the Republicans and Democrats have to use different interfaces for their constituent e-mail interfaces? Ughh)

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Personalized e-mails sent to each committee member. (why do the Republicans and Democrats have to use different interfaces for their constituent e-mail interfaces? Ughh)
    I noticed that too when I sent one off to Justin Moed (ranking minority member on Public Policy committee, NRA-PVF "A") this evening.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Senator/Representative,

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email
    Once more unto the breach!!! The hearing is in the House Chambers this afternoon at 1530. If it holds to what the COVID guidance says those testifying will be allowed in the room. Not sure if it's just to testify but I'll find out at 1530.

Edit: 1-800-382-9841 is the number that gets the R's on the House side, 1-800-382-9842 for the D's. If you wan to call tell them who your Rep is, they will transfer you and you can leave a message of support with one of the Rep's minions.

I'll have an update later tonight.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom