Not open for further replies.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If history is any indicator public policy committee in the house will be meeting at 0830. All of the constitutional carry bills will come through house public policy committee.

When they get to the Senate side they will more than likely be in the judiciary committee. It looks like those committee hearings will be starting at 1330.

I’ll keep an eye out, but generally the committee hearings are on Wednesdays, and the start times are pretty consistent throughout the session.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    I'll put up a yard sign for this.

Dear Derek,
    Please know that I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment and fully support our constitutional rights. I too believe that every Hoosier in our community has the right to self-defense without government bureaucracy getting in the way. In fact, I have supported many measures in the past that have cut red tape and sped up the gun licensure process. Now, we must go a step further and vote to enact House Bill 1369.

Thank you for reaching out to me about this topic. It is great to hear from those in our community, as it allows me to get a grasp on how our district feels towards critical issues. If I can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Sincerely,

Donna Schaibley

State Representative

House District 24

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    All quiet on the western front for this week it looks like. I am keeping an eye on the general assembly website and will yell loud when something is scheduled for a committee hearing.

Link below gets you started. Legislation tab, bills, then scroll like crazy. Click the bill you want, then the bill action tab on the the left has the link to the committee. The committee (Public Policy in this case) has the hearing dates and bills assigned for hearing that day.

When 1369 or any other bill of interest comes up for hearing I will holler. The draft email for HB 1034 (also ConC) posted back in this thread is an easy find 1034 and title, replace with 1369 and title.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's not ConC, but there is a bill up in committee next Tuesday (2 Feb) at 0930. Corrections and Criminal Law Committee meets in room 130 so testimony is in room 404 thanks to the COVID. That's OK, room 130 sucks. It has the giant Limestone pillar and the layout is horrendous.

I'm keeping an eye on 3 February, I'm expecting a ConC bill up that day looking at the calendar. If nothing is up on the 3rd, I might go on the 2nd. I projected a bunch of leave for this IGA session, gotta use it sometime.

SB 199:

Synopsis: Self-defense. Specifies that "reasonable force" includes the pointing of a loaded or unloaded firearm for purposes of self-defense and arrest statutes.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It's not ConC, but there is a bill up in committee next Tuesday (2 Feb) at 0930. Corrections and Criminal Law Committee meets in room 130 so testimony is in room 404 thanks to the COVID. That's OK, room 130 sucks. It has the giant Limestone pillar and the layout is horrendous.

I'm keeping an eye on 3 February, I'm expecting a ConC bill up that day looking at the calendar. If nothing is up on the 3rd, I might go on the 2nd. I projected a bunch of leave for this IGA session, gotta use it sometime.

SB 199:

Synopsis: Self-defense. Specifies that "reasonable force" includes the pointing of a loaded or unloaded firearm for purposes of self-defense and arrest statutes.

Hoping to make the hearings myself Kelly. It be great to see you and all who are able to make it. Keep us posted on what info you have Kelly and the locations with the changes of this session of 2021.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hoping to make the hearings myself Kelly. It be great to see you and all who are able to make it. Keep us posted on what info you have Kelly and the locations with the changes of this session of 2021.
    It'll be great to see you again Bollorollo. This session is kind of nuts with the "hearing in room A, testimony in room X" thing.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It'll be great to see you again Bollorollo. This session is kind of nuts with the "hearing in room A, testimony in room X" thing.
    Its going to be interesting how the hearings will be ran this year. But I do have to say, I bet the MDA will get special treatment to speak out against any pro 2A bills while the rest of us are held to different standards...

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK, that was easy.

Senator/Representative,

I am writing to urge your support of HB 1369, Firearms Matters. This bill was authored by Representative Ben Smaltz and co-authored by Representatives Lehman, and Wesco at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 16 States that have permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who oppose such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), and the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law” (2019). The dire consequences predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

In 2019, no one saw the year 2020 coming. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation: our country gained 8.4 million new gun-owners in 2020. Early on citizens saw shortages of basic supplies and other things never before seen in this country due to the COVID pandemic. Police Departments were being depleted due to COVID exposure and subsequent quarantines. Later riots broke out across the country amidst calls to “defund and reimagine” the Police. People who would’ve depended on calling 911 in 2019 came to a horrific revelation in 2020: “You are on your own, no one is coming.”

If we learned anything from the year 2020, eventually you will have to leave your home. The essential right of self-defense does not stop at the property line. I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ok INGO peeps, as of THIS MOMENT there are no hearings scheduled in the public policy committee this week. With that said, considering that it’s Monday afternoon I don’t think we will see a Wednesday hearing. Senate Bill 199 (makes it not a felony to point a loaded firearm at someone in a authorized use of force/does not reach the threshold of deadly force being authorized situation) is up in committee tomorrow. With no constitutional carry bill on the horizon this week I think I’ll be over Statehouse way tomorrow morning.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Its going to be interesting how the hearings will be ran this year. But I do have to say, I bet the MDA will get special treatment to speak out against any pro 2A bills while the rest of us are held to different standards...
    With Indiana being staunchly Republican why would MDA get any special treatment or even the time of day?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ok INGO peeps, as of THIS MOMENT there are no hearings scheduled in the public policy committee this week. With that said, considering that it’s Monday afternoon I don’t think we will see a Wednesday hearing. Senate Bill 199 (makes it not a felony to point a loaded firearm at someone in a authorized use of force/does not reach the threshold of deadly force being authorized situation) is up in committee tomorrow. With no constitutional carry bill on the horizon this week I think I’ll be over Statehouse way tomorrow morning.
    Top link has the going to the Statehouse during the COVID info. Bottom link is to the Corrections and Criminal Law Committee. With Senators Aaron Freeman and Jack Sandlin on the committee the pro-2A is definitely well represented.

Hearing starts at 0930, live-streaming is an option and the video will be posted later.

It looks like the bills in front of 199 deal with rioting and destruction of monuments. At least it's not steroid abuse by race horses.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom