• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    First burn to clean her up. Small brisket going on in the AM, if it's thawed out.
    f4d27ea80171ec487b213b1ee5373254.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    First, a word from tonight’s sponsor....

20200429-173843.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]Glad it’s murican whiskey, cuz if it wuz furin, I’d be pissed. It’s actually pretty good for under $30, so there’s that.

20200429-182248.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]K, so, see, Meijer has this crack burger ****, it’s called Wahlburgers. There expensive, $8 for 4 5.33’s. So in layman’s math, $8/ pound burgers. This stuff is da BOMB! It’s SUPER LEAN, so maybe don’t run the egg to 500* afore you place’em, they’ll shrink up quit quick. Anyhoo, Tincup sponsored tonight’s dinner, and allowed me to see that these burgers need lower heat longer. But 500* 2 minutes per side produced a dryish medium. 45-60 seconds at 500* per side, would have produced a JUICY medium, DAMN YOU Tincup!!! Wahlburgers are a product of Wahlburger Inc., Marky Mark, And Donny, And someone else. They are good, and worth the extra $$’s but they are LEAN, so watch’em. Flavor is exceptional for a pre made, they’re supposedly cut from brisket, short rib, and chuck and Certified Angus. Try’em, if you’re sponsor is not whiskey, you’ll LOVE them, if it is whiskey, you’ll like’em, or at least tomorrow you think you will!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Jefferson's Ocean. Nice!

It's was the wheated recipe, and a City Wide Liquor's store pick. Probably my favorite bourbon at any price.

Started my first cook at 5AM. Little 4 pound baby brisket flat I had in the freezer...

rG5mzaPm.jpg

I'm monitoring progress here at work on the app...

9sJ0Qhpm.png

The wife is working from home so she's my BBQ assistant. When it hits 160, I'll have her spritz it with the magic juice and wrap it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Success:yesway:...

QiW1YMxl.jpg

I had ordered a smoke tube because one criticism I heard about the pellet grills was a lack of smoke. Both in the looks and flavor department. I'm not gonna cancel my order, but I don't think I need it.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Success:yesway:...

QiW1YMxl.jpg

I had ordered a smoke tube because one criticism I heard about the pellet grills was a lack of smoke. Both in the looks and flavor department. I'm not gonna cancel my order, but I don't think I need it.

Definitely looks good. One thing I have found with my pellet grill is you can get smoke flavor if you want it, or not. If I want nice smoke i start my cook at 180-200 for an hour or two then bump up to my cooking temp. But if I don't want much smoke flavor it is straight to the cooking temp before the meat hits the grates.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Definitely looks good. One thing I have found with my pellet grill is you can get smoke flavor if you want it, or not. If I want nice smoke i start my cook at 180-200 for an hour or two then bump up to my cooking temp. But if I don't want much smoke flavor it is straight to the cooking temp before the meat hits the grates.

Yep. Mine has an "extreme smoke" setting. Runs the temp at 180 and smokes like Cheech and Chong. Next setting up is 200 and the smoke is easily decreased by 75%.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have a smoke tube that I use for long cooks. I'm not convinced it works, but I have it so I use it.

I ordered on for that reason. But I'm now convinced I didn't really need it. I'll probably use it for super low temp smoking, like for fishes and cheese.:yesway:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    So in the first week of ownership of my Rec Tec I have now cooked brisket, baby back ribs, whole chickens, pork shoulder roasts, pork loins, and some shrimp skewers. Everything has been awesome. Last night I decided to try something totally crazy, rabbits.

It was a bountiful wabbit season this year so I could afford to lose a few to experimentation. The wife is out in Virginia with the daughter, SIL, and our first grandbaby.:rockwoot:

She refuses to eat Thumpers, so it's as good a time as any.

Olive oiled and rubbed with store bought chicken rub. Ran out of rub halfway through.:rolleyes: Store bought generic BBQ rub, ran out of that too.:rolleyes: What's left in the cabinet? Some steak seasoning, hell, throw it on. I then put them on low smoke, 180 degrees...

Wr3VSC3l.jpg

Then I mowed the yard and admired my work. Again, wife is gone, so without adult supervision, bourbon and cigar is an acceptable Thursday night activity. Yellowstone neat with a cheap, unbranded, factory second cigar...

parjwCEl.jpg

At the three hour mark, the internal temp of the larger hindquarters was 150. I pulled the little bunny backstraps at that point...

wxnSESkl.jpg

Not bad. Should have filletted the silver skin off of them though.:rolleyes:

I got hungry and impatient so I bumped it up to 225 for an additional half hour to hit internal temp of 160...

FICnbwZl.jpg

I had spritzed them a few times with the magic BBQ juice, so they weren't at all dry. The meat had the consistency and mouth feel of beef liver, which doesn't bother me. The worst part was the intramuscular silver skin. Overall, I'd give them a 6/10.

Typically, I brown bunnies in a skillet, then toss in a baking dish, cover with beefy mushroom, cream of mushroom soup, and a packet of brown gravy mix. Then bake a couple hours at 375. That temp renders out all the silverskin and the soup keeps it all from getting dry. I will do that tonight with the leftovers and see what happens.:dunno:

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    If you are around the south of Indy any time, send me a PM and I will give you a remote probe thermometer. I’ve gone down that rabbit hole to the point I have more than I use. Brisket really wants to hit around 203° internal temperature before you hit peak moistness and tenderness.

Was the brisket a whole packer or a trimmed flat? I’ve never been able to get a trimmed flat to come out without drying out a bit like yours did. I find the bigger whole Packers to come out the best.

What model remote thermometer you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Cooked my first tri tip last night. Where the hell has this cut-o-meat been all my life?

I heard about it browsing a BBQ forum but had never seen one in a store. Saturday I was shopping at Meijer and they had them pre packaged with a rub and marinade. They were all about 2 pounds and cost $10 each.

Smoked it at 225 for a couple hours until internal temp was 130. Threw it on my Weber with a screamin hot lump charcoal fire and seared the outside until the internal temp hit 140. Almost has the texture and flavor of a little baby prime rib. I'd prefer it a little less done, but had to share with the wife who doesn't want it to moo.:rolleyes:

I am definitely going to stock up on those things.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Cooked my first tri tip last night. Where the hell has this cut-o-meat been all my life?

I heard about it browsing a BBQ forum but had never seen one in a store. Saturday I was shopping at Meijer and they had them pre packaged with a rub and marinade. They were all about 2 pounds and cost $10 each.

Smoked it at 225 for a couple hours until internal temp was 130. Threw it on my Weber with a screamin hot lump charcoal fire and seared the outside until the internal temp hit 140. Almost has the texture and flavor of a little baby prime rib. I'd prefer it a little less done, but had to share with the wife who doesn't want it to moo.:rolleyes:

My experiences with tri tip have been hit or miss. It's actually part of the sirloin and when I was able to buy them from Costco they were excellent. The last few I've tried have come from other places and have been less than terrific.

Had a rough day yesterday so my wife & SIL picked up some ribeyes, that made things better. Reverse seared and delicious.

vJ7KILxh.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

They are big in California. My son is stationed there and found out about them. They are a relatively cheap cut of beef there sometimes going as low a $2/lb but usually in the $3-4/lb. You got a good price. It seems like out here in the Midwest, they think it's a high grade cut.:)

Look up the Santa Maria method of tri-tips. They are really good!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

I love Tri-Tips. I'm pretty sure we learned about them from the same BBQ forum. I usually smoke mine at 225 to 120 IT then pull it and crank the pellet grill to 450 and take it to 130 IT flipping at least once.

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    I have a 217 pellet grill from rural king only thing I’ve had problems so far are the casters. I’ve cooked a lot of stuff on it and for the price I surely can’t complain. Congrats on the z grill brand was one on my list of potentials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom