Current situation.

002.jpg

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Brisket turned out amazing. It spent about 14 hours on the grill, and an hour and a half in the cooler. Turned the point into burnt ends which were delicious! I tried to take a picture of the pieces of brisket but couldnt pick one up without it breaking in half. Once I put it out on the table, it was gone in about 5 minutes. Overall, it was a big success.

3DLIreC.jpg

If8cOgm.jpg

TB5KUGB.jpg

ajQuzJc.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Brisket turned out amazing. It spent about 14 hours on the grill, and an hour and a half in the cooler. Turned the point into burnt ends which were delicious! I tried to take a picture of the pieces of brisket but couldnt pick one up without it breaking in half. Once I put it out on the table, it was gone in about 5 minutes. Overall, it was a big success.

3DLIreC.jpg

If8cOgm.jpg

TB5KUGB.jpg

ajQuzJc.jpg

It looks really good!

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    What kind of wood do we l IMG_20200525_193834.jpg ike to smoke ribs? Did some over the weekend with hickory. They turned out pretty decent for a first shot, but the hickory almost overwhelmed the rest of the flavors

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I prefer apple, cherry, or peach. Not nearly as strong as hickory

I recently had a wild cherry felled in my back yard. It is a 2 year dead standing tree so it's well seasoned and good for firewood of which I am giving it away.

Should I make up a few bags for smoking?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I recently had a wild cherry felled in my back yard. It is a 2 year dead standing tree so it's well seasoned and good for firewood of which I am giving it away.

Should I make up a few bags for smoking?

I sure would, we get all our smoking wood from the firewood pile. We have an abundance of cherry trees, trimming of the peach trees, and the neighbor has a giant apple tree that we trim up for her.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I sure would, we get all our smoking wood from the firewood pile. We have an abundance of cherry trees, trimming of the peach trees, and the neighbor has a giant apple tree that we trim up for her.

Okay, so what is the best way to break it up into smoking size? I don't have a chipper. If I can find an efficient way to do it, I might make a bunch and offer them to others.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Okay, so what is the best way to break it up into smoking size? I don't have a chipper. If I can find an efficient way to do it, I might make a bunch and offer them to others.

I guess it depends on what tools you have, I use a chainsaw to cut 6"-8" pieces then a axe to split them into chunks. I like to cut smaller limbs up for smoking because they split easier than a big chunk from the trunk.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Just threw on a 15 pound brisket and a 10 pound butt for an overnighter...
    9fcbfa26be7dbf5f56e707c60b451e0f.jpg

Never posted the "after"...

My pellet tube burned out almost immediately. But the extra smoke wasn't really needed.

The next morning it was getting barkey...

7BAHZ3Ol.jpg

Wrapped them up. My first time using paper...

Bhb6Uaxl.jpg

Pork was pulled...

DkztbROl.jpg

Brisket flat sliced...

BThdieHl.jpg

Brisket point chopped up for burnt ends...

98vNjPWl.jpg

The pork went into a freezer bag as is. Brisket flat went into a bag with a little beef broth added. Burnt ends got bagged with a cup of beef broth and a cup of BBQ sauce. All of it went straight to the freezer.

The next morning I hauled it all to Virginia for the week with the new grandbaby. We ate good all week. None of it suffered from being frozen.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Never posted the "after"...

My pellet tube burned out almost immediately. But the extra smoke wasn't really needed.

The next morning it was getting barkey...

7BAHZ3Ol.jpg

Wrapped them up. My first time using paper...

Bhb6Uaxl.jpg

Pork was pulled...

DkztbROl.jpg

Brisket flat sliced...

BThdieHl.jpg

Brisket point chopped up for burnt ends...

98vNjPWl.jpg

The pork went into a freezer bag as is. Brisket flat went into a bag with a little beef broth added. Burnt ends got bagged with a cup of beef broth and a cup of BBQ sauce. All of it went straight to the freezer.

The next morning I hauled it all to Virginia for the week with the new grandbaby. We ate good all week. None of it suffered from being frozen.

Congrats on the Grand-baby and the Q!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom