Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, so this is not really directly grilling related. That being said, I have tried many biscuit recipes and this is the first one that gave me those tender, flaky Southern-Style biscuits. So in case you need to make some biscuits to sop up gravy or berries or just lots of butter, here goes.

Snap's Tried and True Southern Style Biscuits

1 stick frozen butter / 4oz or 115grams

2 1/2 cups self-rising flour

1 cup buttermilk ( I used 1 cup plain milk and 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar)

Preheat oven to 475f / 250c

Grate frozen butter into a small mixing bowl and combine with flour. Return bowl to freezer for 10 min.

Measure out one cup of buttermilk, or add 1 tablespoon cider vinegar to regular milk to make one cup.

When flour/butter mixture has been in freezer for ten minutes, take out and combine with milk. Roll out onto a floured surface. Fold over and roll out again. Repeat folding and rolling three or four more times. Final thickness before cutting should be about 1/2".

Cut with biscuit cutter or small drinking glass and place in 9x13 pan,placing biscuits so they are touching.

Bake 12-15 minutes.

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    HD - that bacon wrapped pork looks amazing. How do you like that grilla grill kong? Still deciding if I want to get one.

SD - I'm have my gf try to make those biscuits, she was looking for a recipe to try out.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    HD - that bacon wrapped pork looks amazing. How do you like that grilla grill kong? Still deciding if I want to get one.

I love the Kong. Its super easy to use. Holds temps like a champ. I got it going this morning, then left for church. When I came back, It was still at the temp that I set it at. Ive done pork butt, brisket, roast, wings, burgers, and pretty much anything else you can imagine.

Ive noticed that the Kong really likes to be around 300-350 degrees. Thats it's happy place. But it is pretty easy to use the vents to control the temp. The highest I have had it was 500 degrees, but it can handle much more.

Definitely worth the money. No complaints so far.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    OK, so this is not really directly grilling related. That being said, I have tried many biscuit recipes and this is the first one that gave me those tender, flaky Southern-Style biscuits. So in case you need to make some biscuits to sop up gravy or berries or just lots of butter, here goes.

Snap's Tried and True Southern Style Biscuits

1 stick frozen butter / 4oz or 115grams

2 1/2 cups self-rising flour

1 cup buttermilk ( I used 1 cup plain milk and 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar)

Preheat oven to 475f / 250c

Grate frozen butter into a small mixing bowl and combine with flour. Return bowl to freezer for 10 min.

Measure out one cup of buttermilk, or add 1 tablespoon cider vinegar to regular milk to make one cup.

When flour/butter mixture has been in freezer for ten minutes, take out and combine with milk. Roll out onto a floured surface. Fold over and roll out again. Repeat folding and rolling three or four more times. Final thickness before cutting should be about 1/2".

Cut with biscuit cutter or small drinking glass and place in 9x13 pan,placing biscuits so they are touching.

Bake 12-15 minutes.

You bring the biscuits, I'll bring the sausage gravy! :)

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Just grilled chicken in a foil pan. It keeps the grill from flaming up.

Lots of charcoal. No lid so the oxygen burns the coals. Leave off the grill around 185, but I call it good when the thermometer reaches 180.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just grilled chicken in a foil pan. It keeps the grill from flaming up.

Lots of charcoal. No lid so the oxygen burns the coals. Leave off the grill around 185, but I call it good when the thermometer reaches 180.

I have a flat cast iron "skillet" that is for the 5th center burner on my stove inside that I toss on the grill to cook foods that tend to catch on fire.

And for asparagus to keep it from falling through the grates.:)

I have it on more than off as I find it does a lot of foods better.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a flat cast iron "skillet" that is for the 5th center burner on my stove inside that I toss on the grill to cook foods that tend to catch on fire.

And for asparagus to keep it from falling through the grates.:)

I have it on more than off as I find it does a lot of foods better.

I have one of these https://smokerguru.com/products/yoder-smokers-ys480-ys640-cast-iron-griddle for my Yoder that my wife insisted that I get. I'm glad she did. I use it almost every time I use my grill.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    IMG-20200625-130027876.jpg

Smokes on!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom