• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Got mine the beginning of May. Already burned through over 200 pounds of pellets.

And I haven't made anything yet that sucked.;)

Nice.

My wife keeps asking when the new smoker is supposed to arrive. I suspect that she is anxious to offload the cooking to me.

Without the pellet smoker last weekend, I was forced to revert to the old classic Weber. More work, as controlling the temps is a full-time job, but had a good result.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We bought a Green Egg knockoff. An Acorn. Had it 5-6 years, I just threw charcoal in it and cooked. Then Covid came this year. I have learned all about how to put charcoal in there for innovative temp control. I have finally gotten to where I can keep it at around 200-250, 325-375, 425 is still proving tricky as I usually just shoot to steak searing temperatures. However, we are now grilling just about every night. Last night I made taco meat in the thing and it resulted in the best taco salad. (We both agreed). Used cast iron skillets.

Nice.

My wife keeps asking when the new smoker is supposed to arrive. I suspect that she is anxious to offload the cooking to me.

Without the pellet smoker last weekend, I was forced to revert to the old classic Weber. More work, as controlling the temps is a full-time job, but had a good result.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Without the pellet smoker last weekend, I was forced to revert to the old classic Weber. More work, as controlling the temps is a full-time job, but had a good result.

Hang onto that Weber. It's still handy.

My pellet grill will hit 250 in about 5 minutes, but to get her up to 500ish takes a long time. When I want to reverse sear steaks, burgers, etc I wheel the Weber up right next to the Rec Tec. Start the meat on the smoker and light the Weber. When the meat hits the temp I want the Weber will be searing hot, I just transfer it over, leaving the probes in place.

fU8iJfMl.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hang onto that Weber. It's still handy.

My pellet grill will hit 250 in about 5 minutes, but to get her up to 500ish takes a long time. When I want to reverse sear steaks, burgers, etc I wheel the Weber up right next to the Rec Tec. Start the meat on the smoker and light the Weber. When the meat hits the temp I want the Weber will be searing hot, I just transfer it over, leaving the probes in place.

fU8iJfMl.jpg

Indeed. I actually spent last night and this morning cleaning and repairing it. When I was using it Saturday, I had to block the air coming through the bottom vents to get down to 300 because my old shutters had completely corroded away. I got a kit to replace the shutters on the bottom and installed it last night. I did some mild repairs to the legs this morning. It's nearly 20 years and now is almost as good as new.

The pellet smoker I am getting (eventually) has the ability to throw a lever and open the cover over the fire box for direct grilling, but yeah, I imagine that the time to get the temp up will be significant. No way I would get ride of the Weber.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Getting closer. Long story short, sent the bent smoker back to Amazon and ordered a new one from Lowes. Went to pick it up tonight and because I had to wait so long, they gave me 10% off, so it ended up being less expensive than Amazon. Now waiting for my neighbor to get home to offload it. It’s a very awkward 250 lbs.

58296A93-5554-4C88-8EB1-B632330CC18A.jpeg

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I have A question if i may ?
    Other than $30.00 Lowes Special, i am new to the Charcoal Grill thing . I usually Cook on a Gas grill .
    on with my question I have started out slow not tried anything that i thought would be a little more involved and i am glad i have. I can not control the heat. heck i can't even seem to keep it hot enough to direct cook Burgers ,I have watched several youtube videos and i am still not getting it
    I am running the bottom air vent wide open.
    suggestion would be Appreciated

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Start with the charcoal. In a close pile when you light it. I use a MAPP torch, but lighter fluid works too. Leave the coals in the pile until the very top coals are about half white (the ones below will be almost completely white). Then spread them out a bit, pt the grate on, let it warm up and then grill. Like you are doing, leave the vents on the bottom open for high temp, but put the lid on to keep the heat in the grill and open the top vents. With charcoal, usually getting it hot enough isn’t the hard part. It’s getting the heat down for low and slow.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have found a lot depends on how you lay the charcoal. This ain't the best video but it was the quickest I could find. I have found by varying my snake, I can control temperatures fairly well by adjusting the vent every so often (15-30 min if I am cooking for a while). I too am new to this but this got me started.

Also gas heat is immediate, charcoal takes time. I start my charcoal 15-30 min before I put anything on the grill.

[video=youtube;XiGRbyg_zeI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGRbyg_zeI[/video]

I have A question if i may ?
    Other than $30.00 Lowes Special, i am new to the Charcoal Grill thing . I usually Cook on a Gas grill .
    on with my question I have started out slow not tried anything that i thought would be a little more involved and i am glad i have. I can not control the heat. heck i can't even seem to keep it hot enough to direct cook Burgers ,I have watched several youtube videos and i am still not getting it
    I am running the bottom air vent wide open.
    suggestion would be Appreciated

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Picked up a bunch of bags of the Kingsford charcoal with apple and with cherry for two bucks a piece. Noticed that there are bright reflective dots in the charcoal and in the ash after burning. Anybody know what it is? Looks for all the world like bits of mica.

Well, it's time to go light her up. A couple of slabs of sirloin today.
    Might have to serve it up with a candle under the dish full of butter.
    And taters tossed with chopped herbs and sour cream.
    Too bad the better 2/3's didn't make bread this morning but oh well, maybe tomorrow will be leftover sandwiches.

Studio 417

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Somewhere
    I call this Monday.

WbSvwwN.jpg

We just finished something similar. Had NY Strips medium, and sauteed shrooms. Didn't have onion on hand, but they got a good dose of garlic. And some crispy fries.
    I didn't take any pics, so you'll have to picture it in your head. Use the sound of MMMMM as inspiration.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Pulled pork tonight. About 9 hours at 225. A few hours to get to 160, then wrapped in butcher paper and another couple of hours up to 200.
    A43848C6-7243-49F0-98D8-5FA00656CB10.jpeg
    EAEE21C8-6EC8-4932-94F3-86C62F0ABB46.jpeg
    C201C1AE-4F84-4323-A971-4763680B458B.jpeg
    A0435A89-2AA7-46D6-A076-030241D9DCE5.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom