• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    Sooo. I'm updating a Colt Mk IV 80's series combat commader and bringing her into the modern age. It has the retro sights and I'm planning on having AllenM mill out some Novak or Heinie dovetails and putting new sights on it so it's a more viable carry gun.

I have Trijicon HD's on my G19 and am considering those, and I've also been reading about all black rear sights with fiber optic or gold bead front sights as the best option, as there are no rear dots to "distract" the sight picture. I like the idea of having similar sight pictures for both guns but they're different beasts to shoot. I'm only 30 so failing eyesight isn't really a factor in choosing them either :):.

I'm asking those well-versed in 1911 sights and EDCing 1911's to chime in with thoughts about what they use and why.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im no expert, but I will say this... light pipes (FO) are good for the range. Thats it. Unless you can guarantee you will only carry your 1911 during the day, I would steer clear.

I Have FOs on my Kimber, but she's a safe queen/range toy. They are great outdoors and in bright light, but I cant say I like them in a dark hallway at 2AM when something goes bump in the night. Choose sights that dont require external illumination for carry.

You already have Trijicons and like them, so buy another set for your 1911 if you want to EDC it. You wont be disappointed.

ETA: you also wont be disappointed in AllenM's work. He's a top notch individual, and a rockstar with a mill.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Hard to beat a gold bead front and solid black rear of your choice. I have a Wilson set with "ultimate speed sight" rear and a gold bead front.. Most visible set of sights I have.

Ultimate Speed Sight | Serrated Blade | Black-Wilson Combat

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    My thoughts on fiber optics as well. They look too fragile to rely upon if and when the gun is being used hard.

They're really not. Last season I put somewhere north of 25,000 rounds through 2 fiber optic sight equipped guns, and they were in and out of kydex holsters about a bajillion times. One even went skidding across a gravel shooting bay (unloaded). It was fine. This season I have, so far, about 3-4k through the new gun with a fiber front. It's been fine.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have an older Wilson with faux Novac tritium sights. As sights their fine but for a defensive pistol I think Trijicon are better since they're squared off and you can hook them on a belt etc

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    AllenM put a set of Heinie straight 8 night sight on my latest Caspian build. They are awesome.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a Sig Revolution Combat with Novaks on it. Best night sights I've ever had and quick, precise pick up on target. I have a couple more 1911s I'm putting these sights on.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Why not stay with what you have and use the HD's? It's a carry pistol so I'd def go with those and they will still be good on the range...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Over the years, I've had a variety of sights on different carry guns and to date, the HDs are the best. I've shot with standard 3 dots, Trijicons, Kimber, Sig, Glock factory night sights, XS Big Dots and irons with blacked out rear sights. I've come to really dislike the XS Big Dots and really like the HDs. Everything else is somewhere between.

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    Over the years, I've had a variety of sights on different carry guns and to date, the HDs are the best. I've shot with standard 3 dots, Trijicons, Kimber, Sig, Glock factory night sights, XS Big Dots and irons with blacked out rear sights. I've come to really dislike the XS Big Dots and really like the HDs. Everything else is somewhere between.

Thanks for saving me several years of trial and error. :yesway:

Top Bottom