• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Im looking to buy my first 1911. Im willing spend 1200 but really under 1000. I want a carry model and if its possible a double stack. Caliber wise I would like a 9mm just in case my girlfriend needs to ever use it. But 45 is fine also. Springer, colt, kimber or whatever else. At least a 4" barrel

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    I carry a 1911 and for all the bells and whistles attached to Kimber and Colt I gotta say I am still in love with my Rock Island.

(stock image)
    AC-RI1911TACA-TT2-D.jpg

I understand the apprehension of buying anything that says "Made in the Philippines" but trust me here these are good guns. I have one, my father has one, my friend is going to get one because he likes them so much (and he earns enough to buy from Wilson Combat regularly). @ $500 a pop they are a runaway deal compared to most other 1911s and in this economy you can't argue with economics lol.

Here is their compact modal. I haven't fired one yet but if they are built as well as their standard sized counterparts they'll go bang every time.

riagrips02xy3.jpg

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Double stack 1911's are notoriously finicky, unless you buy a tuned comp gun. If you want a 9, why not go for something similar? Like a BHP or CZ?

Not knocking your choice, but you could be a lot better in the long run in 9mm in another similar platform.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I was looking at a Cz 75b two tone. Private seller locally has one for 500. I love the love and feel of the 1911 platform. But I would like something with a rail

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Gotta go with Hookeye and ask, have you considered a Browning Hi-Power? You get the double stack 9mm you want with the John Moses Browning goodness you crave.

Once you get into a double stack and 9mm, you aren't really getting a 1911. You're getting a "1911 style". Nothing wrong with that, really, but you aren't getting the true JMB 1911 experience. The modified grip just isn't the same.

At least with the Hi-Power you are getting it as designed, plus they aren't as prevalent as the 1911 so you get some hipster cool going, too. Accessories are still readily available, its still a sweet shooting pistol, etc. etc.

Dang it, I'm starting to talk myself into one. That's just what I need, another caliber. **walks off muttering to self**

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Im open to all options. I like a little weight to my pistol. Not a fan of the poly. 1200 max of what I want to spend. 9mm and a rail if possible

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Im open to all options. I like a little weight to my pistol. Not a fan of the poly. 1200 max of what I want to spend. 9mm and a rail if possible

Well, if you aren't set on a 1911 style, want an all metal 9mm with a rail, and want a double stack I would check out:

Sig P226R (R meaning with rail).
    CZ-75 SP-01

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    OP,

Many have given good advice concerning a doublestack 9mm "1911", bottom line is to get one that would be trustworthy as a carry sidearm will be an expensive process.

1. 9mm 1911's are notoriously difficult to make run "well", the design was built around the 45 ACP and while it can be adapted, it takes far more tuning. That said good example are truly a blast to shoot, very fast follow up and excellent accuracy with the cost savings of 9mm for practice.

2. Double stack frames also take a great deal of tuning and are GENERALLY relegated to competition platforms. Can a well tuned PARA or better still STI run...yes but they are finicky! The FBI HRT briefly transitioned to Para Framed Les Baers SRP's (in 45 ACP) to replace High Powers. Beautiful guns that seemed the holy grail for defensive precision sidearms, hand built, tack driver accuracy BUT the Mags proved VERY tricky to keep running. Net out, they went "back" to the now famous single stack Springer Pro.

If you want a first 1911 get one in 45, and I humbly suggest a single stack for starters. 45 honestly does not push that much in the platform, I have taught MANY new shooters with great results on the "BIG" 45. Think 12 gauge push compared to 300 WIN MAG crack.

If you want the capacity of a 9mm, and this pains me as a 1911 guy, look at other platforms. Personally I run a 226 and have run a 228 as my higher capacity sidearms, reliable accurate (for me) good SA trigger with a consistant DA first pull. The High Power is a legend for a reason ... as is the CZ 75 series.

If you HAVE to have a double stack 9mm 1911 listen to the competition shooters who have built and run them over the years, they will speak from experience and provide knowledge on what runs. I would look at STI.

My humble :twocents:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If I carry 45, I will carry the 1911. The 1911 seems to carry very well due to being thin. I carry a 4" model with a full size grip and it is the grip that prints but I have big hands so like the fill size grip. The Kimber I carry has an aluminum frame and the weight is just about perfect.

I have been carrying a 9mm lately and my fav is the Bersa Thunder Pro high capacity with 17+1 of HST. I am more accurate with the Bersa than my 1911's. I really like this gun and I also don't worry about it getting knocked up since I only paid about $300 for it. For the money, it is a very solid gun and good shooter, just not as refined a finish as some guns.

I have the earlier version without the rail.

bersathunder9.jpg

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Nothing wrong with carrying a good .45! Make sure you have a great belt and holster to support the weight. And there's nothing wrong with 8+1 capacity either, I carry with that all the time. Get a mag pouch and carry an extra mag if you feel the need. But if you want a 1911, get a single stack 45. They shoot great. :twocents:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I highly recommend a 1911 "compact" as a great carry gun. By "compact", I am talking about 4" barrel with Officer size shortened grip.

I have had a few different ones. Currently I carry a Wilson Combat Bill Wilson Carry model with a Sig 1911 RCS as an alternate. The Sig would fall in your price range and they make some really nice 1911s for the money.

Mark

Top Bottom