• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    If I want a 9mm the Cz 75 sp-01 is number one. But im leaning towards a .45. And non come second to a 1911 for me. Choices choices choices.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    For willing to spend 1000, maybe more, I should have a wide selection to pick from. I liked the 4.25 barrel, I believe that's what t was and im wanting

You definitely have a decent playing field to choose from.
    I'll send you a PM here in a little bit.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Good thread going, so I would like to tag on a couple 1911 carry questions,too--if nobody minds.

I've been doing some research online, but would like some 'real world' insight from pros I trust (looking at jet girl). Might be worth noting that my current EDC is a G19.

1. I like the traditional blued finish, but read several places that the stainless is considerably more corrosion resistant. I can get a little sweaty, so how much longer lasting is stainless?

2. Govt model vs commander length for carry? Seems like if you are going to own one 1911 it should be a govt model, but how does the smaller size convenience vs larger size performance balance out in real life?

3. Fixed rear vs adjustable rear sight for a 1911 primarily for carry?

Appreciate any insight available. I'm leaning Springfield or Colt. Colt just screams BUY ME, but between what I have read online and what everybody says around here (and the whole can I actually find a Colt anywhere) you can't go wrong with SA for the cost.

Thanks!

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Im in the same boat as you. Been looking at the colt lightweight commander and the SA 1911. Wish I could afford a dan season or Wilson, one day!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    would like some 'real world' insight from pros I trust (looking at jet girl).

Aw, shucks. *drags toe in sand*
    blush.gif

1. I like the traditional blued finish, but read several places that the stainless is considerably more corrosion resistant. I can get a little sweaty, so how much longer lasting is stainless?
    Hmmm...I have no idea. Regardless of whether I carry stainless or blued, I unholster and wipe down my carry every night, just to keep salts & skin crud off the finish.

P.S. Spell check should totally recognize "unholster" as a word and stop underlining it.

2. Govt model vs commander length for carry? Seems like if you are going to own one 1911 it should be a govt model, but how does the smaller size convenience vs larger size performance balance out in real life?
    If I was a couple feet taller :D I'd guess that carrying a Government model would be fine... But as it is (at 5' almost 6" ish), sitting/driving makes the muzzle dig into my thigh. That extra inch off of the Commander size does it for me. I also like the compact frames, so my carry has evolved into a 4" barrel on a 3" compact's frame. Think "CCO" like Colt's.

I'm a fan of fixed sights for carry. Low profile ones, and visible in the dark...
    To that end, there are some guns I don't really wish to change the sights on, but do want them to be more visible at night...and I've discovered Glow On and like it. I sent away for a free sample of it by sending a self addressed/stamped envelope to:
    Glow-On
    PO Box 12328
    OK City, OK
    73157-2328

Appreciate any insight available. I'm leaning Springfield or Colt. Colt just screams BUY ME, but between what I have read online and what everybody says around here (and the whole can I actually find a Colt anywhere) you can't go wrong with SA for the cost.
    Colt & Springfield... well, that's kind of like saying "which apples are better... skateboards or coffee?"
    I like them both for different reasons, but being a teeny bit of a snob, I have to say the recent Springfields make me frown with that whole three position hammer deal.
    However, I do like the fact that there's no firing pin block. Sooo...
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good thread going, so I would like to tag on a couple 1911 carry questions,too--if nobody minds.

I've been doing some research online, but would like some 'real world' insight from pros I trust (looking at jet girl). Might be worth noting that my current EDC is a G19.

Thanks!

1) A quality blued finish will last for many, many, many years if carried in a quality holster, kept out of the weather, and wiped down routinely. That said, it won't last as long as stainless and stainless is also much more forgiving if it gets scratched and doesn't require as much attention. I prefer stainless, but its not a deal breaker.

2) Again, preference. I carried a full sized 1911 for years and never felt it was too heavy or long. I believe grip length and thickness is much harder to conceal than barrel length and never saw a significant difference between the full size and the commander length. I would rather have the longer sight radius and increased velocity, but if your body size/shape and carry method makes it awkward the commander size is also a fine choice.

3) I would say fixed sights or low profile adjustables. What you want to avoid is tall or loose adjustable sights that can be knocked out of alignment. My Springfield Loaded has adjustable night sights and in over a decade, 4 years of daily carry, the sights have never moved in the slightest. I would lean more toward fixed sights for duty or open carry in an unhooded holster, as it won't have any padding if it does get knocked on something, and being further out from the body may be exposed to a knock a bit more.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    You guys rock. Thanks for the advice. Luckily I've got some time to decide because there are not a ton of 1911s in stock locally, unless you want a Kimber. (Autocorrect should recognize Kimber on a gun forum too.)

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    just picked up a used springfield operator champion 1911 45 acp sort of my dream gun any sugestions on a IWB Holster.
    thanks

I have a Springfield Range Officer, everyone that I have talked to has said the Crossbreed Super Tuc is a great IWB. I want to try to find one to see in person before I purchase one (just how I am) but I dont really know if there are any in stores or not.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Sort of narrowed the list down:
    -SA lightweight champion operator (if I can find one?)
    -Dan Wesson CCO (if I save a little more $$)
    -Sig c3
    -Sig Nightmare carry
    -Colt lightweight commander

Any other "carry" 1911 im missing or should look at?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    just picked up a used springfield operator champion 1911 45 acp sort of my dream gun any sugestions on a IWB Holster.
    thanks

Check out High Noon Holsters. They have a wide range of options, and one of their holsters will probably outlive you.

I used this one:

Tail Gunner W/Straps

and the "tail" helps keep it stable and prevents tilting. The flap keeps the slide from contacting your skin or shirt, which is nice to avoid sweat on the gun and its very comfortable. Its not the most concealable, but it does allow easy reholstering, is very well made, and makes carrying a 1911 a very comfortable proposition.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have had a Kimber Tact. Custom II for a number of yrs in 45 acp. Only issues were mags: Went to Wilson 47Ds, no issues. Has alloy frame, not really heavy like the old style Colts. OWB holsters work great, however I advise you buy a molded style and forget the retention strap, or a quality IWB. Always carry a spare mag, or two.
    Had a RIA Govt, and it was flawless with all ammo. Miss that one, like a series 70 gun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    thanks looks pretty nice but a little pricey

They are expensive, but you very much get what you pay for with them. The leather is thick, the reinforcing strap around the throat is very stiff and keeps the holster open even while IWB with a tight belt, and the molding is top notch.

You can absolutely get a cheaper holster, but I don't think you'll find a better one at that price.

The worst thing about High Noon these days is the lead time. 12-14 years ago you got your stuff in 1 or 2 weeks, but their fame has grown and demand has risen, so unless you are ordering a stocking item its going to be close to 2 months before you see your holster.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Im looking to buy my first 1911. Im willing spend 1200 but really under 1000. I want a carry model and if its possible a double stack. Caliber wise I would like a 9mm just in case my girlfriend needs to ever use it. But 45 is fine also. Springer, colt, kimber or whatever else. At least a 4" barrel

i recently got the S&W 1911 Sc e series Commander length bobtail, and I was surprised at how easy it is to shoot. I expected far more recoil and for the gun to be far more punishing. But I can go shoot 100-200 rounds without it bothering me at all. And it's great for CCing....gun is fairly light.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    How is the trigger and sights? That s&w e series has caught my eye. Its around the 1200 I want to spend. Problem is none of the LGS don't have many 1911s. Would like to hold the e series...sigs...and some SA commanders. Unless I can get a used DW.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Double stack 1911's are notoriously finicky, unless you buy a tuned comp gun. . .

Not sure where you get your 'facts' but my experience is very different than yours.

I own many dozens of 1911 pistols, carry a couple different ones that are double stacks, have other double stacks that I don't carry but could. All are stock guns, none are 'finicky' and none are 'tuned comp guns' either.

Top Bottom