18 US Code 930 - Posession of Firearms and dangerous weapons in federal faciliti

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why is it so hard to understand basic English?

"Incident to hunting" Well I'm not hunting so that is out. "Or other lawful purposes" Well a lawful purpose of carrying a weapon is for self defense. Unless someone is breaking the law, then the carrying of a weapon indent to "other lawful purposes" is the exception to the law. Pretty easy to understand.

No. As others have told you, no.

Carrying your handgun for self-defense is not an other lawful purpose. Just because you want it to be a certain way, does not mean that it magically becomes this way.

Read Cruz-Bancroft and let's talk further.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Carrying your handgun for self-defense is not an other lawful purpose. Just because you want it to be a certain way, does not mean that it magically becomes this way.

The case you cited appears to show that a guy claimed the "other lawful purposes" justification and one court agreed with him and the next court did not. Is that accurate? Can us layfolks conclude that the legality of any action is determined by the actor being brought to court for it and then whatever the last court says determines whether or not it was legal?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    FYI, according to the OP's profile, it's Dan. The Jeff refers to his residence in Jeffersonville.

And I too want photos, Denny.

Huh. Haven't seen him on since yesterday. I'll have to check the local news to see if his "selfie" made the headlines.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

If people are determined to run with scissors, they will. There's only so much you can do...

I object, this is clearly entrapment.

Only if he did not previously have a predilection for such risk-taking, and would not otherwise have entered some federal facility OC his gat and selfie stick. He has already manifested his intention to do so in this thread.

By the way, he hasn't been posting for a day or so...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If people are determined to run with scissors, they will. There's only so much you can do...

Exactly.

This whole thing is like watching Nature on PBS - sure you love the scrappy little coyote that tries to get some of the wolves' fresh kill. But when the pack turns on him, you just have to stand back and watch... and take photos for posting on INGO.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bar-ra-try, vexatious litigation or incitement to it. Bar-ra-try, vexatious litigation or incitement to it. Bar-ra-try, vexatious litigation or incitement to it. Bar-ra-try, vexatious litigation or incitement to it. Bar-ra-try, vexatious litigation or incitement to it. Bar-ra-try, vexatious litigation or incitement to it. Bar-ra-try, vexatious litigation or incitement to it. Bar-ra-try, vexatious litigation or incitement to it. Bar-ra-try, vexatious litigation or incitement to it.
    Whereas I am not a lawyer or other officer of the court And have as a layman advised the OP that I believe he is mistaken in his reading of the USC,

​I wanna see the PICS.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Your examples are charges one a court house and one where someone took a plea

You asked for people that have been arrested and charged. I gave them to you.
    Lauderdale Man Convicted On Gun Charges - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

Nope NOTHING MORE... Other than people just not understanding the law.

The irony.

I object, this is clearly entrapment.

I thought it was entrapment only if the person wouldn't normally do it?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Guys like Jeff (or Dan, is it?) provide job security for lawyers!

Lets say OP is right, and that he would win his case in court. It's still incredibly expensive. It's like a self defense shooting: sure, you can "win." But everything that goes with it sucks so bad, you want to avoid it at all costs, even if you could guarantee you come out on top. Some victories are Pyrhic.

We haven't heard from him in a few days, though. I'm starting to wonder if the selfie didn't go so well.

Of course, this all assuming my first hunch about this thread is incorrect.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    From my perspective, that's pretty darned important.

He replied, in a folksy manner.

5372-matlock.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It's time to bring the curtain down.

This isn't some lunatic political thread like the neo-Confederates start with some deranged alternative view of history, people can go to jail if they do not understand/spew misinformation about 18 USC §930.

We've tried, Kirk. There've been upwards of 200, probably upwards of 250 posts by the time this one shows up (I didn't look at page 7 to see which post Matlock shows up in) (ETA: #259)

At this point, if someone goes to jail based on what they read in this thread, it's because they, like the OP, choose to deny the facts of the law, despite good (and free!) advice to the contrary.

If the witness you are questioning perjures himself, despite advice from counsel not to do so, whose fault is it when the cuffs clink on?

I commend your efforts to quash this vat of bovine excrement. You're correct, it does need to stop. I am reminded again, however, that none are so blind as those who refuse to see.

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom