QUIET DOWN that darn Generator!!! (with photos)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well the hummm of the generator is making me crazy. I really really need to quite that thing down.

Big storms went through yesterday and knocked down power. They didn't say it was a tornado but 5 big mature oaks are laying across one of my neighbors driveways. I pulled the lawn furniture and several branches out of my pool. Another neighbor has a 6' privacy fence, that thing looks more like a picket fence as the panels blew out and scattered.

The power company says 5 transmission towers collapsed and it may be another 36 hours (or more) before we have power again.

Went to the local auto parts store, picked up a few things, got it rigged up, not perfect, but better. I have a better idea . . . but that involves welding and without power I have no welder. Still, this seems to have helped. It dramatically changed the tone of the exhaust, still sort of loud but much more pleasant on the ears.

The plan for the future is to get another step-down pipe adapter.

Weld it onto the factory spark arrestor muffler that came with the generator so that the pipe that is welded on encloses the exhaust holes.

Then I will clamp the flex tube onto the extension that I just welded onto the spark arrestor muffler. That should really quite things down and I doubt there will be any real back pressure concerns given the pipe I'm using is literally double+ the diameter of the original exhaust tubing.

The final thing will be to get some exhaust pipe, have it bent as needed, and simply blow the exhaust outside through the wall.

OH, and I will gladly wear the REDNECK moniker as a badge of honor now that its quieter in the house!!!

Original, worthless, spark arrestor muffler:
    IMG_0702.jpg

Remove muffler:
    IMG_0703.jpg

Go to auto parts store, get a $2 step up pipe adapter + a $6 piece of flex pipe:
    IMG_0705.jpg

Cut step-up adapter so it will better fit the small diameter of the original exhaust pipe and tap with hammer to fit.
    IMG_0706.jpg

Use high-heat exhaust tape around original exhaust to create a better fit.
    IMG_0707.jpg

Slip on step-up adapter, wrap with more exhaust tape, clamp into place, wrap other side with tape too:
    IMG_0708.jpg

Clamp flex pipe to muffler with muffler clamp. Clamp other end to the step up adapter:
    IMG_0709.jpg

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Interesting. Not sure how much that all costs but I have retrofit some in the past with large garden tractor mufflers and then extended them out a wall through an insulated duct using similar flexible metal hose.

If your water heater is gas and is in your garage you already have a perfect way to let the exhaust gases out of the garage but the generator needs a fresh air source and plenty of cooling, I put a regular floor fan and point it towards the recoil starter side of the unit, most are designed so that way they get air cooling the engine first and then plenty of air for the generator, heat is the enemy of all things like this...

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    The news at 1700 said that there were no tornadoes in the area. However, the NWS confirmed 110 mph+ straight line winds in NWI.

Our power (St. John area) was out from about 1630 to 2300. That is the longest power interruption we've had in the eight years we've lived here. We spent the evening listening to all the generators in the neighborhood. Interesting tidbit, we heard more than a few sputter out after a couple hours. Then we got to listen to the restart attempts.

You need anything? Material or labor?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The news at 1700 said that there were no tornadoes in the area. However, the NWS confirmed 110 mph+ straight line winds in NWI.

Our power (St. John area) was out from about 1630 to 2300. That is the longest power interruption we've had in the eight years we've lived here. . .

Those winds went right though here :( One of the neighbors has a fence that was pretty much shredded by the wind. Lots of trees down, but none of mine (lost branches, not trees).

We've had an 8 day power outage here in rural Lowell area during -20 to 0 weather. We have 2 to 4 hour outages on a regular basis, several times a year. 1 day outages are not uncommon, mostly in the winter.

We are good here. I did damage a garage door with my tractor, dumb error but poop happens when the power goes out and you are cleaning up debris and are tired. Pool is green, again. Probably from all the debris and furniture that ended up in the pool. I don't know how much it rained, but I had to pump about 3" of water OUT of the swimming pool.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Looks like a good short term fix. You might want to keep an eye on your fuel consumptions. Some smaller naturally aspirated engines like that can be very back pressure dependent, so adding a bigger restriction could throw off the tuning and potentially cause the engine to run a bit richer and use more fuel.

You might be surprised that a lot of the noise won't be from the exhaust, but is from the engine itself. Next step might be to form a box around it (that doesn't block the cooling air) and line it with some of the floor pannel insulation that also blocks sound. Think it is called dynamat or something.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like a good short term fix. You might want to keep an eye on your fuel consumptions. Some smaller naturally aspirated engines like that can be very back pressure dependent, so adding a bigger restriction could throw off the tuning and potentially cause the engine to run a bit richer and use more fuel. . .

It runs on Natural Gas and is plumbed into the household gas service so I have no idea how much fuel it consumes.

However I actually reduced the back pressure, not increased it. I went from a 1" exhaust pipe to 2 1/4" with an automotive muffler.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    FYI reducing back-pressure can raise fuel use. Installed straight pipes on an old harley
    and gas mileage went from 50+ to 30 mpg. added a baffle in the pipe and it went back up to 45.
    Feeling lucky to only lose power for 12 hrs ...

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It runs on Natural Gas and is plumbed into the household gas service so I have no idea how much fuel it consumes.

However I actually reduced the back pressure, not increased it. I went from a 1" exhaust pipe to 2 1/4" with an automotive muffler.

Since this is your house unit I agree with another poster.You are pretty handy why not exhaust it through the roof with an external muffler with a rain cap(like one on a tractor).What you did works,but getting exhaust to the roof would really reduce the noise.

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    be sure to monitor your spark plugs color. reducing the back pressure can can cause the air/fuel mixture to become lean. if plug goes from medium/dark brown to a light tan or even white it means not enough fuel. can lead to burnt valves and even hole in piston if too lean

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    FYI reducing back-pressure can raise fuel use. . .
    Well the ultimate goal will be to restore the original back pressure soon. The 'fix' I wanted to do required a bit of welding and this temporary solution did not. I'll ultimately connect the original spark arrestor muffler back in place and weld a big pipe over its exhaust and connect flex pipe and muffler to that.

Since this is your house unit I agree with another poster.You are pretty handy why not exhaust it through the roof. . .
    Its actually a portable generator that I simply connect up to the natural gas line.

cool... but why why don't you just buy a honda?
    Back when I put this in I don't think Honda offered generators in the use. I know that Winco now puts a tri-fuel kit on one of their 12,000 watt generators, but that was not available 12+ years ago. Even so, that is a Honda commercial retrofit unit, not sure if it is any quieter. Their consumer grade units are quite, but those are gasoline powered and smaller than what I own.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I wouldn't worry about back pressure too much. The cam profile on that engine makes it really in-sensitive to just about anything you'll do to it. I seriously doubt you'll see any difference. If it really bothers you, get a wideband O2 sensor (and display) and weld a bung into your exhaust pipe. Ta-da!!! Now you can tune your engine to your heart's desire and actually be sure of what you're doing.

Now, my 13,000 RPM air cooled motorcycle engine with square cam lobes is a bit more picky about what you put in front of and behind it.

A lot of engine noise also comes from the intake. Retrofitting a car intake tube and baffle and filter will go a long way to reducing noise as well.

Good work so far!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    An option that I haven't seen mentioned is to find an RV generator, they are designed to be as quiet as possible..

Not really a good option. They typically run on gasoline. I wanted a tri-fuel for flexibility during outages, as we have been out for as long as 8 days at a time here filling a 5 gallon gas tank every 6 to 8 hours would suck. Using NG or Propane lets the generator work uninterrupted if you choose, plus it eliminates having to store so much fuel. Just during the 36 our failure we had over the weekend we'd have needed 5 to 6 5-gallon gas cans to get us through. Or we would have had to make a few trips into town to buy gas . . . easy to do in the summer but the Tri-Fuel proved its worth to us the first time we were snowed in for 3 days before we could dig out.

Top Bottom