M&P Range Report - Shield and Compact (9mm)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Disclaimer: I am by NO means an expert shooter, or even a very good shot for that matter. I am young in years and fairly young in shooting experience. I have shot with my grandpa since I was little but have no official training (I know, I know...I'm working on it!)

I just received these guns over the weekend and have never shot either one, or any M&P for that matter.

Ok, on to the report:

Shield: Fired approximately 100 rds throughout a 1/2 hour time frame

It was a little snappy but I got the hang of it rather quickly. The grip, although slim, was not bad at all in my rather large hands. The sight picture was good and I had no trouble getting on target rather quickly (quickly for me...remember, I'm no expert). My grouping was larger than I'd like but I was able to keep approximately an 8-10" diameter.
    I did have 3 FTE's, 2 of them back-to-back, one in another mag. I believe these were an ammo issue, but I'll get to that. No other issues encountered at all. I do prefer the extended 8 rnd mag, but was shooting decently with the 7 without a pinky extension.
    Overall I am very happy with the Shield 9mm and would definitely trust my life with it (provided I have proper ammo).

9c: Fired approximately 100 rds throughout a 1/2 hour time frame after warming up with the Shield

Loved it! My first 24 shots (2 mags, one pinky extension, one without) were in a 5" diameter group, (12) 9mm sized holes, and (1) jagged silver dollar sized hole. The grip was like it was made for my hand, used the backstrap that was on it when I got the gun (it was used from a LGS but appeared to have never been fired, or fired very little). Sight picture was basically the same as the Shield, I did like looking down the wider slide a little better than the narrow one, but overall it is kind of a wash.
    I had no malfunctions or issues with the 9c of any kind using same ammo as the Shield. Again, I prefer the pinky extension but shot OK without it.
    Overall I am very happy with the M&P Compact 9 and would definitely trust my life with it.

Ammo: Used in both guns

Mainly WWB, probably 80-90% of shots fired were this brand. No problems of any kind in either gun. Overall, happy with it for range ammo.
    The rest of the shots were Ultramax Remanufactured 125 gr. This resulted in the FTE's in the Shield. I have had similar issues with this ammo in a Kel-Tec P11. Very dirty, large smoke cloud after every shot. Overall, would not buy again unless it was stupid cheap prices like when I bought it in the first place.

Range:

Family Indoor Shooting Range (Pop's) ...I know, I know...BGF is better, and I agree!
    I had a groupon and free range tokens so I am going to use them up - preferably when there aren't a lot of other people in there so it isn't as obnoxious in there.
    I know their air quality isn't as good as BGF, could be part of the problem with the large smoke cloud from the Ultramax ammo.
    As soon as I use up my free range tokens I doubt I'll be back.

Edit: Found another INGOer who was at the range at the same time I was, he had a rather unpleasant experience. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/332950-hit-ricochet.html

Conclusion - I love my new M&P's, compact better than the Shield, but still love them both! If I had not shot the compact and shot Shield only I would love it even more. I am happy with the purchase(s) and look forward to more range time with them. I will be carrying the Shield in a Wee Celtic IWB Holster Wee Celtic IWB Holster * Black & Tan - Celtic Holsters once I get a few more rounds down range and a self-defense ammo I like (I'm open to suggestions). All-in-all, it was a good evening after work at the range.

Pic: These look like all the rest, but they are mine...

Shieldand9c_zps93c8c612.jpg

:draw:

:patriot:

:ingo:

:shady:

Last edited:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks for the post. I own a Shield 9 and full size 9, and have shot my dad's 9c some. I'm not a great shot, but in terms of accuracy, at 7 yards sort of bench rested I was under 2" with the full size, about 4-5" with the Shield and about that with the 9c also. I love the full size and Shield. Both great guns. As for carry ammo, I run Speer Gold Dot 124 +P Short Barrel in the Shield and Federal HST 124 grain standard pressure in the full size. Both run well. I've never had a malfunction with the Shield in over 1000 rounds (which I know is not a ton of rounds, but it's something). I haven't put more than a few hundred through my full size, but haven't had any issues.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I love my shield as well is my avatar isnt hinting at my feelings towards the M&P series.I carry Hornady Critical Defense in mine and it feels well plus never had a malfunction.

87gsxr711

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks for the review. I have a FS for steel and USPSA. Trying to decide on a 9C or Shield for CCW. You may have pushed me over the edge on the compact.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Thanks for the review. I have a FS for steel and USPSA. Trying to decide on a 9C or Shield for CCW. You may have pushed me over the edge on the compact.

They are both good guns, I prefer the slim profile of the Shield for IWB carry...but if you are used to the FS I'd say the Compact would be more familiar to you as far as shooting.

mashtatatoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Hancock County
    I love my M&P full size, but I've been contemplating the 9c because I feel like it'd be a little easier to carry. Would also be a bonus to use the full size mags in the compact.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I think the Shield is just an amazing pistol. It's been the gun I have carried the most for almost 1.5 years now. Very small and comfortable to conceal and carry, yet shoots very well for it's size. I have a trimmed down Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve on mine and with that I find I have plenty of control with it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the report. I have a FS and am thinking of getting a Shield. I would like to shoot one first and see how snappy it really is.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Thanks for the report. I have a FS and am thinking of getting a Shield. I would like to shoot one first and see how snappy it really is.

I've heard the 40 is worse than the 9, but if you're ever down in Indy look me up and you can shoot mine if you want.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Just picked up a new Shield, but not so impressed right now. In a very short time I had both failures to eject and to go into battery. I can't tell you how many in what total of rounds because it was so unexpected and I thought, well that won't happen again. But it did, maybe 3 in 50. I am disappointed because I've been lead to believe that the Shields have great reliability. I don't like to blame these failures on ammo, which were factory loads, because I expect all modern guns to run well with whatever cheap ammo that's available. My xd-m and sig 226 never have a hiccup with cheap ammo.
    On the positive side, I really like how it feels in the hand and during shooting. I was pleasantly surprised with its accuracy; much better than my Kahr pm9, which even has had trigger work done on it.
    I considered the xd-s when looking to get another concealed carry gun, as I love my other Springfield, but I just couldn't justify the $200 price difference.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Bump for update.

Shot again tonight, same guns, same range, different ammo (except for the crappy remanufactured stuff). Still more accurate with the 9c but I'm becoming more comfortable with the Shield, and only had 1 FTE and it was with the same ammo as before - 200 rds of Rem green box with no problems at all.

I tried to focus and pay attention to the trigger and reset on both, and seemed not to notice a big difference. Some people say the M&P triggers are awful but I like them. I have no real experience with plastic guns though, I used to have a Kel-Tec P11 and I know I HATED that trigger, so these are a big step up from there. The only other handgun I'm really familiar with and have shot recently is a 1911...so there is really no good comparison there.

I really enjoy both of these guns, and again, very happy with the purchase(s).

Pic of the first 12 rounds out of the 9c, again warmed up with the Shield with about 100 rds, then this:

Compactwithtarget_zps81823130.jpg

Like I said, I'm not a pro or even that good of a shot, but I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks for all the info....been following this thread. Wifey thinks she wants one. I have M&Pc 45 that she likes but it is just a little big. Plus this will be a carry gun.

Now the big decision 40 or 9....I ihave neither caliber. I do reload so that cuts down on the overall cost of ammo, etc. Actually, I still spend the same $$$ just get more bang for the buck.

great thread!

Top Bottom