M&P Range Report - Shield and Compact (9mm)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Thanks, PappyD!

I have not shot either gun in 40, but have heard the Shield 40 is much more 'snappy' than the 9...which would make sense. I think the Shield 9 is manageable, not sure I would want any more though. For the compact, I think if you are used to shooting the 45 then a 40 will almost seem like a 9...if that makes sense :dunno:

I've noticed more 40 ammo on the shelves lately, but since you reload that really isn't a concern of yours...

My biased vote is 9, just because I've shot it and like it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the continued reports. I will probably buy the 9. I have a snub nose I'm selling first so I will have some of the money towards the Shield. Then I just wait for a decent price.

Hopefully between now and then, I will have the opportunity to shoot one. If I get down towards Indy, I'll contact you to see if we could meet.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Just picked up a new Shield, but not so impressed right now. In a very short time I had both failures to eject and to go into battery. I can't tell you how many in what total of rounds because it was so unexpected and I thought, well that won't happen again. But it did, maybe 3 in 50. I am disappointed because I've been lead to believe that the Shields have great reliability. I don't like to blame these failures on ammo, which were factory loads, because I expect all modern guns to run well with whatever cheap ammo that's available. My xd-m and sig 226 never have a hiccup with cheap ammo.
    On the positive side, I really like how it feels in the hand and during shooting. I was pleasantly surprised with its accuracy; much better than my Kahr pm9, which even has had trigger work done on it.
    I considered the xd-s when looking to get another concealed carry gun, as I love my other Springfield, but I just couldn't justify the $200 price difference.

Were you limp wristing at all? May be the culprit. I've had 0 malfunctions in my Shield 9 (> 1200 rds) and only heard great things from others also.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Thanks for the continued reports. I will probably buy the 9. I have a snub nose I'm selling first so I will have some of the money towards the Shield. Then I just wait for a decent price.

Hopefully between now and then, I will have the opportunity to shoot one. If I get down towards Indy, I'll contact you to see if we could meet.

Glad I could help. I had a long wait for mine from a LGS in Terre Haute, my grandpa found the best price over there but the wait for delivery was about 6 weeks.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Very cool jagee! I love my M&P9c as a edc. I had a M&P9 FS that I use to carry but I wanted to tone down the size.

I'm relatively new to EDC, started to carry a Kel-Tec P11 then decided I didn't feel comfortable with the trigger and shooting it if the need were to arise so I quit. I decided on the Shield for EDC now because of the thin profile for IWB carry...the compact is my favorite of the 2 though, will probably add a light and make it my night stand gun.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm relatively new to EDC, started to carry a Kel-Tec P11 then decided I didn't feel comfortable with the trigger and shooting it if the need were to arise so I quit. I decided on the Shield for EDC now because of the thin profile for IWB carry...the compact is my favorite of the 2 though, will probably add a light and make it my night stand gun.
    I haven't invested in a rail light for my compact yet, but it does serve as my bedside firearm.

I would still like to buy a Shield9 in the future for those times when I cannot be seen with a firearm.

mpurcell88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Nice review jagee! I finally took my new M&P9fs to the range this weekend; this was the first time I had ever fired a gun. I fired just a little over 100 rounds in the hour I was there and had 2 rounds fail to feed. Has anyone else had this problem? Overall I was impressed with the gun and my groupings. Excited to take it out again! (FWIW I was using federal 115gr)

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    What's a reasonable group size for a shield (off hand-no rest) at 10yds? The reason I ask; a gun store salesman recently overheard telling a customer that the gun was worthless past 21'. Now, I chalked that up to "dude can't shoot for ****" but what is the realistic expectation for this piece?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nice review jagee! I finally took my new M&P9fs to the range this weekend; this was the first time I had ever fired a gun. I fired just a little over 100 rounds in the hour I was there and had 2 rounds fail to feed. Has anyone else had this problem? Overall I was impressed with the gun and my groupings. Excited to take it out again! (FWIW I was using federal 115gr)

I wouldn't give it any concern. New gun, first time shooting it. Could just need a few rounds to "loosen" it up or maybe you limp wristed a shot or two. If it helps, keep a log of your shooting. I do so I can track various attributes of my range time. Malfunctions is one of them. Right now I am doing my version of a torture test. I am shooting it weekly and not cleaning. I want to see how many rounds I can get through it before I have a malfunction. I am at 300 or so right now.

mpurcell88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Indianapolis
    What's a reasonable group size for a shield (off hand-no rest) at 10yds? The reason I ask; a gun store salesman recently overheard telling a customer that the gun was worthless past 21'. Now, I chalked that up to "dude can't shoot for ****" but what is the realistic expectation for this piece?

This is from a full size from 20 yards and my first time ever shooting:
    28daec52595d50cee7ed26daf27bf277.JPG

(Link just in case it didn't upload: PicPaste - 28daec52595d50cee7ed26daf27bf277.JPG)

mpurcell88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't give it any concern. New gun, first time shooting it. Could just need a few rounds to "loosen" it up or maybe you limp wristed a shot or two. If it helps, keep a log of your shooting. I do so I can track various attributes of my range time. Malfunctions is one of them. Right now I am doing my version of a torture test. I am shooting it weekly and not cleaning. I want to see how many rounds I can get through it before I have a malfunction. I am at 300 or so right now.
    Okay, thanks for the tip! That's what I was kind of leaning towards, or the spring in my magazine was the other idea.

bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I have a new Shield 9 and have only had one FTE in +/- 300 rounds. I was using WWB which I don't use anymore. I've had good luck with Speer Lawman (115 and 147 gr) and Federal (115 gr). It's definitely snappier than I anticipated, and I tend to shoot low left. The trigger pull is also a bit heavier than I thought it would be. I have no problem with the accuracy of my full size 9. I'm looking forward to getting back to the range to see if it loosens up a little.

IndyT0m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Indianapolis
    How much bigger is the Compact vs the Shield? I was thinking of getting the 9mm Shield for EDC but in your pictures the Compact really doesn't look that much bigger especially with the
    extended Magazine inserted in the Shield. I may have to rethink this. Maybe forget about the Shield and go with something a little larger for all purpose duty. Thinking maybe M&P Compact 9, Sig Sauer SP2022 or Walther PPQ.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    How much bigger is the Compact vs the Shield? I was thinking of getting the 9mm Shield for EDC but in your pictures the Compact really doesn't look that much bigger especially with the
    extended Magazine inserted in the Shield. I may have to rethink this. Maybe forget about the Shield and go with something a little larger for all purpose duty. Thinking maybe M&P Compact 9, Sig Sauer SP2022 or Walther PPQ.

I just got to shoot a PPQ yesterday and it was really nice. It's about the same size as a Glock 19, with a slightly longer grip (and a capacity of 17 instead of 15). Shoots beautifully, has a fantastic trigger and great ergos as well. I'll be picking one up soon and would heartily recommend it!

Top Bottom