M&P Range Report - Shield and Compact (9mm)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    How much bigger is the Compact vs the Shield? I was thinking of getting the 9mm Shield for EDC but in your pictures the Compact really doesn't look that much bigger especially with the
    extended Magazine inserted in the Shield. I may have to rethink this. Maybe forget about the Shield and go with something a little larger for all purpose duty. Thinking maybe M&P Compact 9, Sig Sauer SP2022 or Walther PPQ.

The Shield has a little shorter overall slide length, and you are correct about the extended mag making it bigger, but the width is really the big difference.

Check out this video (stolen from YouTube) for further info...

[video=youtube;hERsGIcxQMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hERsGIcxQMY&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Good review, I went with the M&P9c myself. I found that combining the Compact with a fullsize M&P9 mag and the X-grip adapters results in something close to perfection, at least in my case.

IndyT0m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The Shield has a little shorter overall slide length, and you are correct about the extended mag making it bigger, but the width is really the big difference.

Check out this video (stolen from YouTube) for further info...

[video=youtube;hERsGIcxQMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hERsGIcxQMY&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

WOW, GREAT Review! Nice find. Makes me reconsider getting the Shield over the Compact. I like the looks of the Compact better especially with the contoured/tapered extended Magazine. Also no external safety to mess with.
    Seems the only big difference between the two is the width. I am a pretty big guy 6'2" and 255lbs so I think the width isn't going to make a difference in my case. Definitely will take another look at both guns at the next 1500
    along with the Walther PPQ which I heard is another compact pistol to consider. Thanks again for posting this review.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    WOW, GREAT Review! Nice find. Makes me reconsider getting the Shield over the Compact. I like the looks of the Compact better especially with the contoured/tapered extended Magazine. Also no external safety to mess with.
    Seems the only big difference between the two is the width. I am a pretty big guy 6'2" and 255lbs so I think the width isn't going to make a difference in my case. Definitely will take another look at both guns at the next 1500
    along with the Walther PPQ which I heard is another compact pistol to consider. Thanks again for posting this review.

No problem. Glad it was helpful. As far as the mag appearance, they make pinky extension base plates for the 7 rnd Shield mags, but you get 1 more with the flat extended mag. The external safety isn't really an issue. I turned it off at the range the first time out and haven't engaged it since. I just leave it off, it is thin enough that you (at least I) don't accidentally turn it on.
    IMO, either one will do a great job for you, but I wanted the Shield to carry because I was looking for something slim for IWB carry and thought that would be a better option for me, personally.

Top Bottom