• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Ok so I am carrying way more than i used to, being young I am conditioned everything is ok, but now my eyes are open and i'm reconsidering everything ok, so i like having a gun around me at all times, with one in the chamber preferable, but having a young child(6 yrs) i hate having one in the chamber(glock 23), she cant rack the slide but could pull the trigger, example i am at home sitting on the couch, i get up and go the other room to take a deuce or just to do whatever i dunno, I've seen the youtube videos about this but wondered what ingo members think. obviously its my responsibility to ensure she cant mess with it, but sweat pants arent easy to keep a gun on the hip. I have taught her gun safety, she has cleaned them with me, i repeatedly instruct her on never touching the guns, etc. Kids are kids, i just wanna be safe. thoughts?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I too, have a G23. I almost always carry it Condition 3 (full mag, empty chamber). My 1911 Compact EDC gun is ALWAYS Condition 1 (round chambered, @ full cock w/safety engaged). My youngest kid is 17 though, and she's shot enough to understand how to treat handguns. It was different when mine were younger like yours and most everything was kept C3.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    All handguns are carried with one in the chamber.
    They're either in your hand, in your holster, or in a lockbox.
    Ready when needed. No problems.

DSTanner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    TERRE HAUTE, IN
    its always on the back of your mind I know. I have a 9 year old daughter and she shoots with me, respects guns, and knows its not a toy. My XD 40 is setting open on my side of the bed on the night stand, a shotgun behind the bedroom door (loaded), and another small pistol out in the living room (not as easy reach for her). My XD 40 is not chambered. I practice this draw on the range to rack the slide while I draw. As well as teach my wife this as well. The Rem 870 has the safety on with out it chambered. Everyone knows the sound of a shotgun pump making that "noise" when racked. So, just be careful if your young ones know the danger and respect our guns. They are a fun hobby, but their first use is home protection.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    You may have to give up the luxury of sweat pant so you can afford peace of mind and the opportunity to protect your loved ones in a dynamic critical incident. Suck but true.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I think the best idea would be, leave the house, one in the chamber, come home, empty chamber. I just cant see a situation where I have locked doors and loud breaking windows, where I wont have enough time to rack the slide.. I mean it takes a 10th of a second. Out on the street, if something happens, you could have NO warning. so one in the pipe...

Ideas??

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Without a round in the chamber it's not unlikely, that should the gun be needed, that either a) there will be no time to rack one in (yes, things happen that fast, or b) in the heat of the moment you will forget. I know of a few cases where that happened with disastrous results.

I don't understand why people can't carry (maintaining control of your gun) or store their firearms properly (lock boxes are relatively inexpensive).

Every so-called "accident" reflects poorly on us all.

... I just cant see a situation where ... I wont have enough time to rack the slide.. I mean it takes a 10th of a second. ...

Well, it's your reaction time PLUS one's fumbling around racking the slide under stress, so it's way more than 1/10 of a second; at least 3 times that if you're aware in condition yellow (if not, then it's more time. if it's not on your belt it's yet more time. etc.).

Exactly such experiences have been posted on this very forum. A home invasion can develop much faster than most people imagine.

Edit: See posts 16 & 35 in this thread for a recent example (I don't have the energy to look up others):
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/261926-guns_at_home-2.html

Last edited:

mwcooke

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    1st off, I think it's great that you take the time to teach your child about guns and gun safety. As a parent myself, I think it's critical that the kids get to spend time with you, and the gun in a safe, controlled manner. I think the biggest mistake you can make with guns around kids is never letting them see them or touch them. Because, the first chance they get, curiosity will prevail.
    2nd, I also think its good that you want to keep a gun near you at all times. I'm a firm believer in if you're going to carry for defense, do it religiously. You can't decide when you will need it and when you want. So, always be prepared to need it.
    Finally, a bit of constructive criticism, and mind you this is only my opinion. I am very strongly against ever leaving an unsupervised firearm near a young child. I would love to be able to have a few guns "stashed" in hidden areas throughout the house, but with 5 young kids, it just isn't safe. I prefer to keep all guns in the safe, home defense in a biometric gun vault on the head board, and carry gun on me all waking hours(not so much in the shower). You mentioned you wear sweat pants, so it's hard to keep a holster on. Take a look into belly bands. They aren't the prettiest of things, but they do work. And contrary to the name, they don't go around your belly. More your groin. It basically allows you to carry IWB, without a belt, or stiff pants to clip to. I use one when wearing gym shorts, and it's pretty comfortable.

As for carry condition, everybody has an opinion. The important thing is you carry. Carry whatever condition you feel most comfortable in. Personally, I like to have a round in the chamber ready to go. I'm comfortable with it, and it's one less step to worry about. My children all know that I carry. They all know why I carry, and they all know that when the gun is on me, it's off limits! They don't touch it, they don't point to it, they don't talk about it. When it's time to clean it, and it's been cleared and safety checked, they can help me clean it and they can touch it, always practicing safe firearm rules.

Again, thanks for carrying, and thanks for teaching your children the important rules of firearm safety.

TravisJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Muncie/Ft. Wayne, IN
    I carry chambered, when I remove it from the holster at home I remove the round from the chamber and stick it out of reach for my daughter. A lot of the time I will just leave my gun in my holster and keep it on until bedtime though. Don't really wear sweatpants though, either no pants or jeans while I'm at home.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Without a round in the chamber it's not unlikely, that should the gun be needed, that either a) there will be no time to rack one in (yes, things happen that fast, or b) in the heat of the moment you will forget. I know of a few cases where that happened with disastrous results.

I don't understand why people can't carry (maintaining control of your gun) or store their firearms properly (lock boxes are relatively inexpensive).

Every so-called "accident" reflects poorly on us all.

Well, it's your reaction time PLUS one's fumbling around racking the slide under stress, so it's way more than 1/10 of a second; at least 3 times that if you're aware in condition yellow (if not, then it's more time. if it's not on your belt it's yet more time. etc.).

Exactly such experiences have been posted on this very forum. A home invasion can develop much faster than most people imagine.

Edit: See posts 16 & 35 in this thread for a recent example (I don't have the energy to look up others):
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/261926-guns_at_home-2.html

SO, racking the slide, takes longer than unlocking a box???

Im not trying to be an *******, though I seem to project that image constantly.

But you make it seem like things happen THAT fast, that I SHOULD always have a round in the chamber, but then say to buy a lockbox....

Im lost.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Ok so I am carrying way more than i used to, being young I am conditioned everything is ok, but now my eyes are open and i'm reconsidering everything ok, so i like having a gun around me at all times, with one in the chamber preferable, but having a young child(6 yrs) i hate having one in the chamber(glock 23), she cant rack the slide but could pull the trigger, example i am at home sitting on the couch, i get up and go the other room to take a deuce or just to do whatever i dunno, I've seen the youtube videos about this but wondered what ingo members think. obviously its my responsibility to ensure she cant mess with it, but sweat pants arent easy to keep a gun on the hip. I have taught her gun safety, she has cleaned them with me, i repeatedly instruct her on never touching the guns, etc. Kids are kids, i just wanna be safe. thoughts?

Wear pants and do not carry unchambered...

[ame="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712"]LiveLeak.com - Jewelery Store Shooting in Agra[/ame]

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    When I leave the house my G 26 is with me, with a full mag and one in the chamber. When I get home, I lock it in the safe still loaded, and bring out something else with a full mag but none in the chamber.

Dave

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    So, like you get in the rhythm that when your carrying x firearm its chambered, and when your carrying y firearm its not?

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Don't leave your guns where kids can get them period.If you go to the bathroom gun should still be with you. I always have a round chambered. Any extra steps you have to take just gives you more chances to make a mistake. What if a guy shoots me in my arm When walking by a window then comes in. Now I have to draw,find a place to rack my slide, point, make sure shot is safe and shoot. What if it does not feed when i rack the slide. Sounds crazy but you don't know how it will go down. To me, a seconded gained could give me the edge when seconds count.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    First, good on you for starting gun safety at a young age. Second, don't stop now, keep driving it home to her, get her involved (as you have already). Safety should be taught and demonstrated at every opportunity.

My son just turned 7 the other day, when he was 4, almost five, I started him in on the Eddie the Eagle cartoons. We watched those for about 6 months, until he had it memorized. We also started going over the four rules of gun safety, and to my surprise he started treating his toy guns that way. We even set up a "shooting range" for him in the front hall of the house where he could safely shoot his suction cup crossbow from a shooting mat.

After about 6-7 months, once I felt he was ready, we got out grandpa's old Marlin Model 60, the first real gun he had seen or knew of in the house. I very plainly explained to him that it wasn't a toy, and the history of the rifle and how one day it would be his. I also told him he could see it whenever he wanted, BUT he had to ask first. Then we went through all the parts of the rifle, and I made him recite the 4 rules before he was allowed to touch it.

That was over two years ago, and still if he wants to look at any of the guns, he asks and then immediately starts reciting the 4 rules. There is no mystery about guns with him, he knows what they are and what to do if he finds or sees one and there is not a responsible adult around. That got put to the test one day. I had taken my pistol off and laid it on the counter with my hat and wallet (I was home alone waiting on my son to get back from his moms). When he got home he was walking around in the kitchen and I was over by my bedroom door, I looked over at him and he was standing (barely tall enough to see over the counter) staring at my pistol, which would have been just out of his reach. For a split second I though he was going to go for it, but he stopped, Yelled out "Hey dad, can we look at your pistol?"
    I told him of course, and asked him the four rules and what the procedure was for clearing the gun. Then once cleared, we field stripped it and put it back together.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I too, have a G23. I almost always carry it Condition 3 (full mag, empty chamber). My 1911 Compact EDC gun is ALWAYS Condition 1 (round chambered, @ full cock w/safety engaged). My youngest kid is 17 though, and she's shot enough to understand how to treat handguns. It was different when mine were younger like yours and most everything was kept C3.

Can a young child not easily flip off the thumb safety on the 1911? Your logic doesnt make sense.

For anyone who is carrying in condition 3 has a training issue. The firearm is either loaded on your person or its unloaded and in a safe.

Top Bottom