• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hmm.....some passionate opinions here and to the point of being judgemental.

The only being on the planet responsible for my safety is me, and that goes for everyone. I think some "passionate", "judgemental", etc. are, when you read between the lines, folks trying to help each other be safe not tear each other down. Sure, the signal/noise ratio can be higher in here at times, but still lots of good info from all types of people with all kinds of backgrounds and experiences and certainly worth sifting through.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... when you read between the lines, folks trying to help each other be safe not tear each other down. ...

I know for myself this is much of the motivation. I'd hate to see someone end up dead as a result of making a decision based erroneous assumptions or bad data.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    But you have to be able to see that life isnt black and white, and therefore your opinion isnt necessarily the right one.

Look, its possible that having a round chambered, could end up "backfiring" (yup...) just as much as not having one chambered.

I think, just do what your comfortable with, the fact is, if your not comfortable carrying with one in the chamber, dont.... period..

Now, tell me if Im wrong, but I think I heard its SOP in the military to carry condition 3 when not in the risk of imminent danger?

If so, do you honestly think you home is more dangerous, thus requiring you to carry condition 1?

This is MY POV, thus irrelevant if you do not agree, like I said above, do what your comfortable with. But I thought Id throw it out there.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    But you have to be able to see that life isnt black and white, and therefore your opinion isnt necessarily the right one.

Look, its possible that having a round chambered, could end up "backfiring" (yup...) just as much as not having one chambered.

I think, just do what your comfortable with, the fact is, if your not comfortable carrying with one in the chamber, dont.... period..

Now, tell me if Im wrong, but I think I heard its SOP in the military to carry condition 3 when not in the risk of imminent danger?

If so, do you honestly think you home is more dangerous, thus requiring you to carry condition 1?

This is MY POV, thus irrelevant if you do not agree, like I said above, do what your comfortable with. But I thought Id throw it out there.

Exactly. Some folks lived in a neighborhood that it's a necessity to chamber a round, some don't.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The military SOP tends to be very old fashion. Military doctrine is slow to change. It's different in the civilian world because you deal with it on an individual level. In the military and even LEO, you have to standardize how the entire unit thinks and act otherwise, the weakest link will destroy the entire change.

From a person to person basis outside of the military and LEO, each person is different and can be trained differently.

Exactly. Some folks lived in a neighborhood that it's a necessity to chamber a round, some don't.

Crime has to happen once. There are no "safer" neighborhoods. I've never believed that.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I understand that, I get that. But what Im saying is, do what your comfortable with. I bet, if a guy home from war, chose to carry condition 3, no one would question his choice..

Thats all Im saying. do what your comfortable with. If what you think you should do, is something your NOT comfortable with, TRAIN, and TRAIN, and TRAIN, until it IS...

This is why snapcaps exist people..

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    We've had military personnel guarding embassies with empty rifles. . . with disastrous results btw.

I would not take civilian personal defense cues from the military; civilian police would be a more applicable source.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    We've had military personnel guarding embassies with empty rifles. . . with disastrous results btw.

I would not take civilian personal defense cues from the military; civilian police would be a more applicable source.

Well, then in alot of agencies, youde take the gun off and lock it up when you got "home"

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Again, it goes back to people to people even in military and LEO. I know guys who patrolled with their rifles with the safety off because they personally believe that split second of flicking the selector can mean life or death. There also have been reports of military using hollow point ammunition despite international ban and most would privately admit it is because it increases their odds of survival. It all boils down to training, mentality and the risks you want to take.

whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    What's the point of carrying a gun without one in the pipe. If stuff hits the fence are you going to have time to rack one?? I carry my G22 with one in the pipe.. but I replaced the factory trigger with a 3.5lb trigger safety trigger. So It won't acctidentally get pulled.. I usually carry all mine guns ready to go..

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This is a GREAT point that I don't think has yet been raised in this thread.

The risk of a discharge goes up any time a firearm is loaded/unloaded (or unnecessarily fiddled with) simply due to the mechanical and manipulative issues that can arise. It also tends to contribute to people treating firearms TWO different ways (i.e. loaded and unloaded, it's ok there isn't one in the chamber . . . bang), instead of ONE way. (i.e. always loaded).

Proponents of empty chambers should consider this risk as part of the equation.

Personally, I see no point in carrying a gun that isn't ready for action. With that said, however you choose to carry, do so consistently and train accordingly. Either keep it chambered or don't, but going back and forth causes unnecessary "coonfingering" (KF®) and increases your chances of a N/D. It also leaves you with the potential to be uncertain of the condition of your firearm when you need it most. :twocents:
    :D

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    All handguns are carried with one in the chamber.
    They're either in your hand, in your holster, or in a lockbox.
    Ready when needed. No problems.

Tell me do you sleep with it in your hand,holster (on you i assume?) , or in the lockbox.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    All handguns are carried with one in the chamber.
    They're either in your hand, in your holster, or in a lockbox.
    Ready when needed. No problems.
    Pretty much that ^ for the carry choice. All non-carry are in a safe unloaded.

Tell me do you sleep with it in your hand,holster (on you i assume?) , or in the lockbox.
    Not sure what the question is supposed to infer.

Top Bottom