• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    How many of you have your gun on you at home? I have always walked in the front door and put my IWB holster and gun in the safe. With all of these home invasions I am rethinking this idea. No time to grab a safed gun when someone kicks in the door. I also have a gun at bedside at night but there are many hours in the day when I am just milling about.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How many of you have your gun on you at home? I have always walked in the front door and put my IWB holster and gun in the safe. With all of these home invasions I am rethinking this idea. No time to grab a safed gun when someone kicks in the door. I also have a gun at bedside at night but there are many hours in the day when I am just milling about.

On me? Nah. In the room I'm in, usually. I have one in each of the main rooms. I'll usually bring one with me if I plan to stay in one room for an extended amount of time.

Carrying seems a bit overkill.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are at least two really good reasons why carrying on your person at home is better than other options.
    1. You alway have control over it, so unauthorized access is unlikely. If it's on your person, you also don't need to stash something in multiple locations.
    2. Bad things can happen more quickly than most people are willing to believe. You may not have time to even take a couple of steps across a room to get to a gun, much less move to another room. If you're the kind who stashes something in every room, good luck remembering where you put it in the room you're occupying when someone is breaking down the door. If you have it with you, you have a better chance of being able to deploy it in time.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    So this one time I was cooking eggs when two guys tried to kick in my back door at 10 AM. Sure glad I had my gun on my hip.

Keep your gun on you at all times if possible.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    On me? Nah. In the room I'm in, usually. I have one in each of the main rooms. I'll usually bring one with me if I plan to stay in one room for an extended amount of time.

Having a gun for every room is less overkill than just keeping your carry gun on?

If you have a comfortable carry set up (and why wouldn't you) I see no reason to take it on and off through out the day. Mine goes on my headboard in a pocket holster(can put it in the robe pocket if need be) at night, and then back in my IWB holster during the day.

k.leonard

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    North Vernon
    mines under my pillow at night. if I ever have up get up, it won't be my weapon choice, I'll gladly grab that mossberg behind the nightstand. any other time I'm in the house, the handgun is always within arms reach.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mine stays on my hip, as stated earlier, I have control over it at all times, I do not have to try to "go" get it if it is needed, and I don't have to retrieve it either for that quick trip out the door to get mommies milk that she forgot on her way home.....

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My handgun is part of my wardrobe, when I get dressed in the morning I put it on and it stays on until I get undressed to go to bed. Along with my edc, there are multiple locations throughout the house where firearms can be accessed by either my wife or myself.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

For you that may be the case. For me, my wife and I only have two handguns so having one in every room falls short REALLY quick. I recently added my EDC to my wardrobe because of that shortcoming. Still, I don't see it coming off even when I finally do have enough guns to place strategically in the house.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

I always do. I read somewhere that 100% of home invasions occur in the home. ;)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have one on at all times other than when I go to sleep it's on the nightstand or when I sit on the crapper it's next to me.
    I got robbed years ago. I was 5' from my gun and didn't have time to get to it when they kicked in my door.
    Sick feeling when 2 SOBs kick your door in, stick a cannon to your head, threaten your wife and baby, then fix themselves sandwiches and Pepsi from your fridge.
    It's enought to make sure it will never happen again.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have one on at all times other than when I go to sleep it's on the nightstand or when I sit on the crapper it's next to me.
    I got robbed years ago. I was 5' from my gun and didn't have time to get to it when they kicked in my door.
    Sick feeling when 2 SOBs kick your door in, stick a cannon to your head, threaten your wife and baby, then fix themselves sandwiches and Pepsi from your fridge.
    It's enought to make sure it will never happen again.

Wow! Yes, that would pretty much change me forever as well. SOrry you had to experience that.

I forgot to mention I have a 7 yo at home. She is very responsible and knows not to touch guns (unless she is shooting them with us :):) but having them positioned all over seems like trouble waiting to happen and stashing them when her friends come over seems risky.

My IWB raven holster is pretty comfortable but it is still nice getting it off my hip after 12 hrs. I may still take it off and just pocket carry my LCP. I am sure you could kick down our door with only a minor commitment so reinforcing the doors may also be a good investment. I can appreciate after taking force on force that sometimes having it on your hip may not even be fast enough but walking across the room when someone bashes your door in may be 5 steps too many. So I am going to start carrying in the house, everyday-starting today.

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    I usually dont have it on me in the house but its always within reach. I always take it with me no matter what room im in.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I always do. I read somewhere that 100% of home invasions occur in the home. ;)

Beat me to it. I use that quote pretty frequently.

I put mine on when I get dressed, and it stays on until I go to bed. Every day, weekends included.

I feel it is safer for everyone (well, other than any potential "bad guy") if I simply keep it holstered.

Top Bottom