Police taser 86 year old disabled woman.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Courthouse News Service

(CN) - Police Tasered an 86-year-old disabled grandma in her bed and stepped on her oxygen hose until she couldn't breathe, after her grandson called 911 seeking medical assistance, the woman and her grandson claim in Oklahoma City Federal Court. Though the grandson said, "Don't Taze my granny!" an El Reno police officer told another cop to "Taser her!" and wrote in his police report that he did so because the old woman "took a more aggressive posture in her bed," according to the complaint.
    Lonnie Tinsley claims that he called 911 after he went to check on his grandmother, whom he found in her bed, "connected to a portable oxygen concentrator with a long hose." She is "in marginal health, [and] takes several prescribed medications daily," and "was unable to tell him exactly when she had taken her meds," so, Tinsley says, he called 911 "to ask for an emergency medical technician to come to her apartment to evaluate her."
    In response, "as many as ten El Reno police" officers "pushed their way through the door," according to the complaint.
    The grandma, Lona Varner, "told them to get out of her apartment."
    The remarkable complaint continues: "Instead, the apparent leader of the police [defendant Thomas Duran] instructed another policeman to 'Taser her!' He stated in his report that the 86 year-old plaintiff 'took a more aggressive posture in her bed,' and that he was fearful for his safety and the safety of others.
    "Lonnie Tinsley told them, 'Don't taze my Granny!' to which they responded that they would Taser him; instead, they pulled him out of her apartment, took him down to the floor, handcuffed him and placed him in the back of a police car.
    "The police then proceeded to approach Ms. Varner in her bed and stepped on her oxygen hose until she began to suffer oxygen deprivation.
    "The police then fired a Taser at her and only one wire struck her, in the left arm; the police then fired a second Taser, striking her to the right and left of the midline of her upper chest and applied high voltage, causing burns to her chest, extreme pain and to pass out.
    "The police then grabbed Ms. Varner by her forearms and jerked hands together, causing her soft flesh to tear and bleed on her bed; they then handcuffed her.
    "The police freed Lonnie Tinsley from his incarceration in the back of the police car and permitted him to accompany the ambulance with his grandmother."
    Tinsley says the cops capped it all off by having his grandmother "placed in the psychiatric ward at the direction of the El Reno police; she was held there for six days and released."
    "As a result of the wrongful arrest and detention, the plaintiff Lona M. Varner suffered the unlawful restraint of her freedom, bodily injury, assault, battery, the trashing of her apartment, humiliation, loss of personal dignity, infliction of emotional distress and medical bills."
    They seek punitive damages for constitutional violations, from the City of El Reno, Duran, Officers Frank Tinga and Joseph Sandberg, and 10 Officers Does.
    They are represented by Brian Dell of Oklahoma City.

If this scenario played out as described, I sincerely hope these taser-happy d-bags loser their jobs and homes. The crappy thing is that the taxpayers will more than likely be on the hook to pay this woman's damages.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This is beyond reprehensible. Losing their jobs and homes is the least that should happen to them. Unfortunately, as we see all too often their department will clear them and it'll be business as usual. Maybe the tax payers will get billed for a small amount, but that's the most that's likely to happen.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Something doesn't sound right. What Denny said but also they are portraying a bedridden invalid laying there on oxygen and they start tazering her for no reason...

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I'm telling you these 'cops' get a kick out of tasering ppl. That 10 yr old boy in Martinsville that got tasered wouldn't listen and throwing a fit.....so he got tasered. It's 'us' vs. 'them'!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I found a version of this story that is the official police version. Take it for what it is.

El Reno Tribune

El Reno police said they were forced to taser an 86-year-old El Reno woman last week who was threatening to kill herself and threatened officers with a knife.
    The incident occurred Dec. 22 at the Elizabeth Place Apartments, 1955 S. Shephard, said Police Chief Ken Brown.
    Brown said the woman's grandson telephoned police asking for help for his grandmother, who he said was threatening to overdose on medication. The chief said when officers arrived, they found the woman lying on a bed. He said when the woman saw the officers she ordered them out of her home and told them that she “wanted to die.”
    Brown said the woman pulled a kitchen knife and told officers “she was in control of her life.” Brown said officers then tasered the woman and took the knife.
    Brown said the woman was taken to Parkview Hospital where the tasers were removed and she was admitted to a mental health center.

Their version differs substantially from the plaintiffs.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    AT 86 yrs old she just wants to die. I wonder how much medication she is on?
    I still think another approach could have been possible. There is usually 2 sides to every story.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Do you really believe the shrinks would have kept her in the looney bin for 6 days just because the cops told them too...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Do you really believe the shrinks would have kept her in the looney bin for 6 days just because the cops told them too...
    It's plausible.That's a small town.

In a suicide situation cops would be the last people I'd want involved. EMS would be the appropriate call. Too many potential suicides have met death at the hands of responding police. Much too dangerous a situation to allow them to be involved.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/06/24/28330.htmThe crappy thing is that the taxpayers will more than likely be on the hook to pay this woman's damages.

If the facts are as-alleged, the officers could, theoretically, be sued individually, and have to pay out of their pockets.

I sincerely hope that the plaintiff's complaint asks that the officers be barred from qualified immunity.

If the facts are as the police say, the jury probably won't award her a dime.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Since nobody but the parties involved know the truth, I'll reserve judgement and just say I really hope justice is served...

If the cop's version is true, she should have to pay her medical expenses out of pocket and if that's not possible, she should just get tossed back in her bed and let nature play it's course.

If the plaintiff's version is true every one of those officers should be beaten within an inch of their life and left for dead.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Suicide calls PD will always go with FD. In fact, they will usually sit off the address until PD shows up and secures the scene. Only then will they approach the home. I hate knives. I'll take a gun shot before getting stabbed. You will ALWAYS get cut going hands on with a knife.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I find it interesting how some people are so quick to judge and find fault with the cops without knowing the whole story. Yet if they were in the place of the officers, they would want the benefit of the doubt and be yelling, "I'm innocent until proven guilty".
    It's funny the people that have never been LEO's yet want to say this is how it should have been done or the cops should have done this.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    It's funny the people that have never been LEO's yet want to say this is how it should have been done or the cops should have done this.

Last I checked, the Police Department is an executive office, under the ultimate control of democratically-elected officials.

Personally, if it were up to me, the police wouldn't even respond to suicide calls. That's not the role of a police department.

I wouldn't send an ambulance either. Suicide isn't a medical emergency.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Last I checked, the Police Department is an executive office, under the ultimate control of democratically-elected officials.

Personally, if it were up to me, the police wouldn't even respond to suicide calls. That's not the role of a police department.

I wouldn't send an ambulance either. Suicide isn't a medical emergency.
    The police should be able to do their job without political interference, if they do something wrong then that's for the courts to decide.

Agree with your other two statements, but someone has to go in and make sure the area is safe and secure.

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The police should be able to do their job without political interference

If the police, an executive office, are not accountable democratically to the people, who oversees them? The judiciary?

That would cause serious separation of power concerns for most judges, I would think. The police are responsible to our elected officials, whether it's the mayor or the elected sheriff himself. That's how we hold them accountable.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If the police, an executive office, are not accountable democratically to the people, who oversees them? The judiciary?

That would cause serious separation of power concerns for most judges, I would think. The police are responsible to our elected officials, whether it's the mayor or the elected sheriff himself. That's how we hold them accountable.

I think you misunderstood me, what I was talking about are the people that want to armchair quarterback about doing a job that most know nothing about except what they watch on TV.
    And yes the police should be held accountable if they do something wrong.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    If someone wants to kill themself........let 'em. Why do we try to stop them? To me, stopping someone from taking their own life is just about the most ridiculous bunch of crap I've ever heard of. Especially if you stop them by means of violent force alla tazer. If someone wants to take their own life, it should be their right to do so.:twocents:

Top Bottom