• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Does anyone have experience with a Spartan Mower. My neighbor bought one of those at the beginning of summer and I think he really likes it so far. I am going to go ask him about it tonight.
    I have a RZ Pro spartan. I love it. I mow 5 acres a week. Would have loved to have gone to the next size up which would have the rollbar. It was there entry level commercial mower and the seat was a little better but cash flow made the rz pro the one.

I was told the engineer from bad boy sold his half of the business and started spartan mowers. The sales marketing guy wanted bad boys in the normal big box stores and the engineer guy wanted to stay with the dealer network and commercial market.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I purchased a Bad Boy 48" MZ magnum in 2020 and I love it. (I'd go bigger than this for your yard size. 48" is perfect for what I'm mowing)

When I was researching there were some great posts here from folks making recommendations: https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/lawn-mowers.505218/page-2#post-8680332

The Bad Boy was my second pick, only because I wanted a Hustler 48" with serviceable hydros (my Bad Boy lacks them), and would have paid the price difference. That said, my only local Hustler dealer within range for me for service (I don't have a trailer to take it in) had a horrible business reputation, and I refused to do business with them.

I picked up my Bad Boy from a dealer in the area that had a great reputation, was extremely friendly, answered all my questions, etc and even had the better price of the 2 Bad Boy dealers in my area.

One thing to look at is if your terrain is extremely bumpy, you may want to look at some of the brands / models that have some sort of springed suspension.

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We have have Scag Turf Tigers. 61" and 52". Built like tanks. Without looking up the SN ages, I think they are maybe '03 and '97. Bought both used. Have worked great for 15+ years so far. Eventually changed out front tires to airless style.

Always look for a welded deck.

Good luck.

:ingo:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    This^^^^

A former boss of mine bought a Gravely walk behind with a sulky back in 1968. Ran it like a rented mule. Still running today. I think you could mow a mine field with one. May not be the cheapest option out the door, but your great grand kids won't need to to buy a mower.
    My great uncle had one. We called it the galloping goose. With the heavy brush blade it would mow anything you could push over.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Grasshopper.
    My wife is rocking a 729 gas
    got a liquid cooled 3 cyl kubota and a 52” deck
    tip up front deck, easy to clean and maintain
    I would highly recommend the deck in the front with the tip up feature, they ride sooo much better than the deck under, motor is cast iron just like the diesel version, probably run forever

Last edited:

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    4 years and 200+ hours on my Gravely and I have no complaints. If you're close, McGavic Outdoor Power in Noblesville has been great to deal with from day 1. One of the guys is a member here.
    Unfortunately, I'm about two hours from Noblesville. Thanks for the recommendation though. Being available at a local dealer will play a big part in what I end up getting. I like being able to get parts and service nearby.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Unfortunately, I'm about two hours from Noblesville. Thanks for the recommendation though. Being available at a local dealer will play a big part in what I end up getting. I like being able to get parts and service nearby.
    Not sure if you made a choice yet. But we have had good luck with Our Ariens. It has a 60 inch cut and a Kawasaki engine.

While it’s not a high end mower we use it to cut the 3 acres around the house. Cuts evenly and is pretty stable, we have rolling landscape. Might be worth a look seems to be a good value for the money.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Brand is less important than components. A fab'd deck with separate wheel pumps and motors will be more important than brand/color. If your budget is $7k, you're completely in range for a nice mowing machine. Dealer support is important for parts, maintenance (if you can't). Honestly, even with the prices today, $7k will buy you a mean grass cutting machine. Consider maintenance and parts though. They're directly related to mower longevity.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Big deference tween commercial an residential, the deference could equal the cost of travel twixt home and repair shop. If you are spending 7 grand on a mower for your yard you should never see a repair shop. Just a point to consider.

As another member said in another thread “ you spend your nickel you dance with who you get”

You are on the edge of commercial/residential, money. Make your own decision based on YOUR future expectations, and the info you get here. Everybody is going to have a different opinion based on their own experience on their ground, some city estate, some country farm ground. Only you can make the decision. We can tell you what “We” think is best, you are the final arbiter of what is best for you. I just spent 4 days deciding what to buy as a new chainsaw, after asking on this venue what to buy. The saw I bought wasn’t even mentioned. I ended up getting a Pouland 20 in” pro. It wasn’t even mentioned. In my original posting.

Good luck with your decision, do your own research. Hope things work out for the best for you. All of the good brand names are good, just don’t buy the cheap jap junk regardless of price or name at RK. Again, good luck.
    Mij

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Are they again? I know the went bankrupt, sold out and I don't know what their deal is. The older mowers are literal tanks.
    I think you’re right. I thought they were being produced again. A friend has one of the pre-bankruptcy mowers and loves it.

Top Bottom