• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    My old garden tractor finally gave up and I'm wanting to replace it with a zero turn. Just wondering if any of you have a specific brand and maybe model that you would recommend. My yard is 2.8 acres of rolling hills, and I would like to keep it under $7,000. Thanks.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a gravely pro turn 200 with a 60" deck that I mow almost 5 acres with. I've had it for years and absolutely abused the thing and it's held up like a tank. The gravely mowers are built tough as nails and I've got around 600 hours of bouncing around a field and hitting big rocks that work their way up over time. I've mowed small trees, and treated the thing like a bushhog at times. It's an absolute beast that I can't recommend enough.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I just bought (upgraded) from my Cub Cadet 42" riding mower to a used Hustler Raptor 52". Paid $2400 for a 5 year old one. Very clean, cuts good, fabricated deck and 24hp so it doesn't bog at all in tall grass.

Zero turn shaves about 20 minutes off my mow time for ~2 acres since it goes around and between my trees/bushes faster without having to backup or go around twice. The Cub took 2.75 hours, the Hustler does it in 45 minutes (I have a borrowed Case deisel with 60" deck that took 1 hour).

Always prefer the fab deck if possible, they are deeper and stronger than stamped decks. Deeper has better suction resulting in better cut.

I prefer Toro or Exmark for ubiquitous parts/service support, but those were out of my budget, even used prices are higher for them.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Can’t say enough about my new ex-mark takes a few days to learn pretty funny actually. Kept the old 52 in. Cub the wife uses it. It saves me about an hour a day. And is a lot easier on gas. I don’t hurt as much with my legs stretched out in front of me.
    Gotta watch out for low limbs and that rops bar though, it’ll turn you over if it catches one that you duck your head under and keep going. That bar don’t duck. And it’s behind you, who looks back when there mowing? 2nd year now on about 2 1/2 acre yard and road sides of my private road. The things a beast. You’ll have to call around for prices I don’t remember what mine cost. It’s a 70 in.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We went Dixie Chopper in 2008. It's saved me about 1000 hours of mowing since we bought it. I had to replace the old Kohler engine this past winter after 500 hours of run time and 14 years. $1000 and about 2 hours of time and I now have a bigger briggs engine on it. Been utterly reliable for the abuse I've given it.

With that said, the ExMark mowers are pretty solid. I have no idea of DC is even around anymore or who makes them.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I have a gravely pro turn 200 with a 60" deck that I mow almost 5 acres with. I've had it for years and absolutely abused the thing and it's held up like a tank. The gravely mowers are built tough as nails and I've got around 600 hours of bouncing around a field and hitting big rocks that work their way up over time. I've mowed small trees, and treated the thing like a bushhog at times. It's an absolute beast that I can't recommend enough.
    This^^^^

A former boss of mine bought a Gravely walk behind with a sulky back in 1968. Ran it like a rented mule. Still running today. I think you could mow a mine field with one. May not be the cheapest option out the door, but your great grand kids won't need to to buy a mower.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have an exmark lazer z e series and a hustler fastrack. I had a hustler mini z but gave that to my buddy when I bought the exmark. I would get a used exmark or hustler. They are built like tanks and will last you a life time in a residential application. My old mini z is still going strong.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I have an exmark lazer z e series and a hustler fastrack. I had a hustler mini z but gave that to my buddy when I bought the exmark. I would get a used exmark or hustler. They are built like tanks and will last you a life time in a residential application. My old mini z is still going strong.
    And neither one will break the bank.

And parts! If you buy used get the model and serial numbers from the (edit) seller to check if all critical parts are still available from oem. many of the smaller manufacturers obsolete parts way too quickly.

Last edited:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    If you get a hustler the hydros leak after a while because of a bad design with an aluminum cap on the bottom that scrapes the ground sometimes. The dealer said they don’t rebuild only replace. Of course. Found a video on youtube. its a simple fix. 1 new steel cap and an o ring held with 2 bolts on the bottom. Cost $40 To fix. Dealer wanted $1800 for one side. Eventually the other side went out on the fastrack. Never had that problem with the mini Z.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Of all mentioned I can’t find a single fault. If I could only give one word of advice it would be to avoid Rural Kraping at all cost, regardless of mower name. Get it somewhere else. I mean no disrespect to anyone or anything except RK.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Does anyone have experience with a Spartan Mower. My neighbor bought one of those at the beginning of summer and I think he really likes it so far. I am going to go ask him about it tonight.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Does anyone have experience with a Spartan Mower. My neighbor bought one of those at the beginning of summer and I think he really likes it so far. I am going to go ask him about it tonight.
    Spartan was started by a former Bad Boy engineer. It was recently sold to Toro. I bought a Bad Boy this spring and really like it so far. Dealer who i talked to sells both Spartan and Bad Boys. He talked me out of the Spartan because of the recent sale and the inability to get mowers or parts at that time.(he had about 5 of each brand) May have changed since then. I bought the BB at a closer dealer for convenience. Worth a look IMO.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    My buddy's landscaping company uses ex-marks. I have a Gravely 52" (which is also Ariens). It is the right size for my property and maneuvering. They use commercial parts in the residential model too. I've had it 2 years and it is still under 30 hours (with me double cutting some times). Lots of steel and not a lot of plastic.

Originally went looking for a Deere, but during covid, they only had 1 model and it was a $30K Rolls-Royce, so pass.

20220711_170915.jpg

20220711_171222.jpg

20220711_171240.jpg

20220711_171057.jpg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I just envy you guys that have space in your garage or shed to store these mowers. :crying:
    I had to settle for a 52" because my garden shed has a 59 1/2" opening and a 54" is the biggest I could go and still fit through the door. 54" decks are not common though. Mostly 46, 52, and 60" are the common residential decks.

If I won the lotto :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: this would probably do my lawn in 10 minutes
    1657578876003.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had to settle for a 52" because my garden shed has a 59 1/2" opening and a 54" is the biggest I could go and still fit through the door. 54" decks are not common though. Mostly 46, 52, and 60" are the common residential decks.

If I won the lotto :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: this would probably do my lawn in 10 minutes
    View attachment 210852
    I almost have to turn sideways to walk past my car in my single car garage, and my shed door is just barely wide enough to get my 42" John Deere tractor through (with the side discharge guard in place).

Top Bottom