• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's been said: Look for a "retired" commercial lawn mower. Heck - call around to local lawn services and ask if they want to sell one.

That said: My folks have had a Hustler 60" (I think) for ages now. Pushing 20 years. And it was purchased used when they got it.

It's on its 3rd motor I think. Maybe 2nd or 3rd hydraulic pump. And the yokes aren't set even any more for some reason.

But it rides and cuts nice enough. And other than oil/gas, my step dad does NOT really take care of it. Maybe that's why it's on its 3rd engine...

Keeps on keeping on though.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I bought a new Gravely in 2018 with a 52" welded deck and we mow 4+ acres every week. I went with the Gravely because of the 5 year warranty on the drive units and the Kohler motor. I'd heard poor reviews of the Kawasaki motors breaking bolts on the end of the crank holding the drive pulleys. I paid $3100 for it new.

Some of it is rough ground. If I were to do it over, I'd have stayed with the Gravely with the 52" deck but would have upgraded to the commercial line as the tires are taller and would have made the ride a bit smoother.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lots of great recommendations, but one thing that hasn't been touched on much is the dealership support behind the machine. In Fort Wayne, I've been super lucky to have a great outfit like "Schaefer's Indiana Turf". The owner there is a good dude and they do quality work. I've taken in flat tires and had them do yearly service work on my machine and they're awesome. Having a good locally owned company behind the machine is as important as whatever machine you're buying. If anyone around Fort Wayne is looking for a place like that I can't recommend Schaefer's enough.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I mow quite a bit and have had great luck with Exmark. I put 1500 hours on my first one and only replaced the deck belt. Got about 200 hours on the second one now and it's been perfect. Go with a commercial mower if you can. They are built much stronger.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    If ride quality matters to you at all, check out any of the Toro's with the Myride system. It makes mowing at full speed a much more enjoyable experience.

Guy at work got 2 60" Toros with the Myride primarily because of the ride. They are his "duelling zeros", "his and hers" to mow the 7+ acres at their farm. He loves them.

Having said that, I mow an elderly gent's 3 acre place using his 60" Hustler commercial. Rock solid mower but it will rattle your teeth if you try to open it up across not-so-smooth terrain.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Guy at work got 2 60" Toros with the Myride primarily because of the ride. They are his "duelling zeros", "his and hers" to mow the 7+ acres at their farm. He loves them.

Having said that, I mow an elderly gent's 3 acre place using his 60" Hustler commercial. Rock solid mower but it will rattle your teeth if you try to open it up across not-so-smooth terrain.
    My dad sold a newer Simplicity with suspension this spring for a Toro with the Myride. I was really impressed how smooth the ride was.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes, I envision watching me riding my Scag at any speed at all, when on the rougher parts of my yard, look much like the Apollo astronauts riding around the moon on the lunar rover.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Lots of great recommendations, but one thing that hasn't been touched on much is the dealership support behind the machine. In Fort Wayne, I've been super lucky to have a great outfit like "Schaefer's Indiana Turf". The owner there is a good dude and they do quality work. I've taken in flat tires and had them do yearly service work on my machine and they're awesome. Having a good locally owned company behind the machine is as important as whatever machine you're buying. If anyone around Fort Wayne is looking for a place like that I can't recommend Schaefer's enough.
    Dealership was a strong consideration when I purchased my ZTR.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Dealership was a strong consideration when I purchased my ZTR.
    I do my own maintenance and service so it's never been a priority or us. With that said, ExMark went to serviceless hubs back in 2020 across the board. I remember that they didn't seem to fail very often with the commercial accounts we had with the exception of running over cemetary stones and cpncrete sidewalks.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City

+1 on Schaefer's service department. Good people there

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I do my own maintenance and service so it's never been a priority or us. With that said, ExMark went to serviceless hubs back in 2020 across the board. I remember that they didn't seem to fail very often with the commercial accounts we had with the exception of running over cemetary stones and cpncrete sidewalks.
    ExMark was high on my list of mowers to look at when I bought my Gravely. There's a lot of great options out there and once a guy gets into the commercial level of quality I think they're pretty safe regardless of what they chose. I just like knowing I can order parts if I need them, and I cross my fingers that I won't need anything. Besides blades, I haven't had to replace anything.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    ExMark was high on my list of mowers to look at when I bought my Gravely. There's a lot of great options out there and once a guy gets into the commercial level of quality I think they're pretty safe regardless of what they chose. I just like knowing I can order parts if I need them, and I cross my fingers that I won't need anything. Besides blades, I haven't had to replace anything.
    I did hydro filter/fluid change and the o-ring got pinched on the passenger side, allowing it to go dry while mowing. Ate up one of those. Got the numbers off the tags, ordered one from Hydro-gear and had it in a few weeks for $900. That was 3 years ago I think? Other than deck spindles pretty much everything else on my dixie is off the shelf mid-grade stuff. We purchased one of hte early year Iron Eagle series. In 16 years I've replaced 2 throttle cables, one choke cable, one hydro and last winter the engine. Hydro was my fault. Engine, well it was an old 23hp Kohler Courage that had a 0% chance of long term survival.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I looked at a bunch...then got from dealer a Toro Timecutter 54". $4500 out the door with trade in of my old beater. This thing is awesome!! You adjust to your weight and its like mowing in a lazy boy. I mow over some rough yard and don't even feel it anymore in my back. I love mowing for the first time in my life. I bought a $60 oil change kit that has filters, oils, plugs.....and got another 1 yr. warranty on top of the 3 yr. warranty so 4 years! Runs like a champ. I'm sure glad I got this one. Had some steep ditch line, dealer said if you can mow it with a rider you can with a zero turn and he was right. The reviews on you tube on this mower are outstanding and I can see why. 75756-zero-turn-34r-co21_4925s-1600x1369.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Are they again? I know the went bankrupt, sold out and I don't know what their deal is. The older mowers are literal tanks.
    It was my understanding that the company that bought them was moving production out of state, they closed the factory in Fillmore, it’s now some recycling business, I haven’t seen a new Dixie around here for years. I thought they basically got merged and taken over but I could definitely be wrong.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you get a hustler the hydros leak after a while because of a bad design with an aluminum cap on the bottom that scrapes the ground sometimes. The dealer said they don’t rebuild only replace. Of course. Found a video on youtube. its a simple fix. 1 new steel cap and an o ring held with 2 bolts on the bottom. Cost $40 To fix. Dealer wanted $1800 for one side. Eventually the other side went out on the fastrack. Never had that problem with the mini Z.
    What year? I have a 2019 X-One and my Parker pumps don't have anything like that on the bottom.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    What year? I have a 2019 X-One and my Parker pumps don't have anything like that on the bottom.

I purchased the fastrack new in 2008. It has hydro gear pumps. The parts that needed replaced were the charge pump covers. Not sure what the pumps are on the mini Z. It never needed anything but tires. The mini Z was purchased new in 2006.

Last edited:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    It was my understanding that the company that bought them was moving production out of state, they closed the factory in Fillmore, it’s now some recycling business, I haven’t seen a new Dixie around here for years. I thought they basically got merged and taken over but I could definitely be wrong.
    I believe last year they had an auction of a bunch of their production equipment.

Top Bottom