• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My son and I cleaned up our bikes yesterday - Honda VTX 1800 and Kawasaki Concours 1000.

We're looking forward to riding to Iron Horse in NC...

12485694505_03a845c4af_b.jpg

...and riding Cherohala etc.

12540181994_a59c21f5ca_z.jpg

Anyone else got a ride they're proud of, and/or a big ride planned this summer?

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Around Fontana is a great area to ride. Watch for idiots on The Dragon coming across the center line into your lane. The Cherohala is a great road and Tellico Plains is a nice town to stop for a break.

I'm riding to Wyoming and Montana in July

Glacier National Park a couple years ago.
    Colorado2010Oregon2013270_zps8c615ac0.jpg

Lolo Pass in Idaho
    Colorado2010Oregon2013272_zpscbf7e7e6.jpg

Mount Hood in Oregon
    Colorado2010Oregon2013292_zps168a7a32.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Around Fontana is a great area to ride. Watch for idiots on The Dragon coming across the center line into your lane. The Cherohala is a great road and Tellico Plains is a nice town to stop for a break.

I'm riding to Wyoming and Montana in July

WOW, that' a long ride. I drive to Wyoming every August for pronghorn...about 20 hours to the Shirley Basin if I recall. What are you riding?

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    WOW, that' a long ride. I drive to Wyoming every August for pronghorn...about 20 hours to the Shirley Basin if I recall. What are you riding?

I've got a 2010 BMW R1200RT

I love riding in the west. I've been to the Rocky Mountains or west coast three of the last five years and going again this year.

Last edited:

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    That's cool guys. It's always nice to see guys that actually ride somewhere. There are more and more guys hauling there bikes, then hiding the truck somewhere and riding in on them, as if they just rode in from weaselpecker SD or something.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I've ridden the dragon and a few of the roads in that area. If you ever get the chance there is a place called Little Switzerland on 226, 226 is called the diamondback. It's great they have a building set up for just bikes, and there are a lot of car enthusiast there as well. I know a few guys that rent Tree Top Inn or something like that, it's on Cherohalla Trail I believe.

My bike.
    35n0idf.jpg

On the Blue Ridge Parkway

2dhaf7q.jpg

Tuggles Gap (Pretty decent breakfast food)

14wauee.jpg

Not really sure where this was.

9zp0m0.jpg

Little Switzerland
    d60cx.jpg

Last edited:

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I've ridden the dragon and a few of the roads in that area. If you ever get the chance there is a place called Little Switzerland on 226, 226 is called the diamondback. It's great they have a building set up for just bikes, and there are a lot of car enthusiast there as well. I know a few guys that rent Tree Top Inn or something like that, it's on Cherohalla Trail I believe.

There is a Little Switzerland near Spruce Pine, North Carolina. Highway 226 and 226A run out of there in a loop and it's great riding. It's just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Most any road in western North Carolina is good riding.

US421 east of Bristol, TN to Mountain City, NC is a great road. Parts of it are just as twisty as the Dragon but there is no traffic.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Here's my Road King. The furthest trips I have made were over to Illinois and down to Kentucky, and those weren't planned trips so I didn't wander too far in. This year, I'm going to go on some longer rides. I've kicked around the idea of Michigan run here lately just because I have never been there.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I ride a 2012 V Star 950. I don't have any trips planned nor any done. Furthest I've gone is about 2 hours. 90% of my riding is commuting and the other 10% just cruising back roads. I will ride down to 30 degrees though, but that's nothing compared to what you guys endure on huge trips. Regardless, I love being on 2 wheels!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Years ago, before kids, we had a little Yamaha 400 that I still had from college. The wife used to love going for rides on that thing (short ones--it was only a 400 :D ). But we sold it about the time the kids came along. The other day, we stopped at a restaurant to eat lunch and as we passed by a nice Harley in the lot, I mentioned I'd like to get another bike someday--she was not amused. :rolleyes:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Went to Daytona in March. Heading to New York at the end of the month and Key West in June.

0D0AB9DE-151E-4A83-8C52-5B61E911584B_zps9p7ctbe7.jpg

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I used to ride the dragon 25 years back,when NC and TN both wanted to close it because of the maintance for such a curvy 2 lane.We used to sign a petition at a little country store in Tallassee,which is now The Dragon 129 HD.The owner is a large bearded fellow named Charlie Langford.We would than ride to Cherokee to sign the Petition at the other end.You could ride both ways and never see the man.....Man how things have changed. If your lookin for some good places to stay,Robbinsville has some nice places on Lake Santeetah. Cross the Dam in Tallassee,and you can do some real laid back riding east thru the Forest and go north to Fontana. I'll be down there the 1st week of June. Enjoy

Last edited:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    9 days. Bloomington IN to Ocean City NJ then down to Gatlinburg TN before heading back to Bloomington. Years ago on a '76 Sportster 1000 XLCH. Two up the whole way. Not a lick of problem machine-wise.
    Nowadays about 4 hours out is the most I can carve out time wise. The benefit of a daughter living in northern Indiana. I get to ride up and visit!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Here is my custom chopper......

Just kidding, Wildgame Innovations had OCC build this a few years ago. I saw it at the ATA show. Here is my real bike, a 2011 Street Glide. No big rides in the future. Have to wait a few years before my stepson is out of school. Then my wife and I are planning on taking some long rides.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't have any big rides planned...yet. I ride with our local H.O.G. Chapter and that's always a good time and plenty of riding.

That's my Street Glide in the foreground.

Top Bottom