• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If a poll were taken of every one who had an ND homicide or injury, and said "But, it wasn't loaded" the results would probably look like this.

Poll: Are you a 3 or 4 rule guy/gal?
    • I'm a 4 rule person...........................5%
    • I'm a 3 rule person...........................5%
    • What the H*** does that mean.........90%

Since I've started keeping records of AD/ND resulting in injury or death, I've found the results to be rather interesting. I'd say you're pretty darn close.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Some people enjoy arguing just for the sake of arguing. While some people like to debate ideas and opinions, others argue out of habit: – they can’t help themselves, and will make a fuss about the most trivial things, just to cause conflict. This can drive those around them up the wall because they are almost always on the defensive, even about what might seem like the most insignificant things. Meet the argumentative personality – the friend, colleague, or relative who will find fault with you or a situation just to engage you in seemingly pointless verbal sparring matches. Other identifying characteristics include:

• Their daily mantra seems to be, “I object.”
    • Other people are always the source of an argument, not them.
    • “It’s your fault” and “You are to blame” are some of their favourite phrases.
    • It’s almost impossible to get them to consider your views – in their mind they are always right.
    • They can come up with heaps of reasons why you, and not they, are the ones causing all the trouble.

It seems that everywhere I've gone in life, I've encountered people just like this.
    One who was particularly obnoxious about it was my brother's friend throughout high school, and I kid you not that he was the type to argue over what the current temperature or time of day it was.
    It got tiresome after a while, then his other character flaws (major at that, namely racist comments and other severe moral issues) made it easy to never hang out with him again.
    My brother sees things the same way.
    Life is too short to bother with such people.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    A big virtue of the 3 rules approach is that it doesn't matter whether or not the gun is loaded or unloaded. There is no differentiation to be made, no intellectual gray area to confuse noobies. Just 3 simple rules, 25% more efficient than 4 rules. Systematic, step by step rules.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    A big virtue of the 3 rules approach is that it doesn't matter whether or not the gun is loaded or unloaded. There is no differentiation to be made, no intellectual gray area to confuse noobies. Just 3 simple rules, 25% more efficient than 4 rules. Systematic, step by step rules.

You are exactly correct. It is easier for everyone to comprehend, remember and follow. Both sets of rules are designed to keep people safe when handling firearms, but one set happens to do it better. I could dig a swimming pool with a shovel, but a backhoe would make it easier.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    When I see someone digging with a shovel, I almost always offer them a backhoe.

Does that make me a people person? ;)

I am glad you asked. In fact, it would make you a people person. Now if you showed them how to use the backhoe, that would make you a friend.

In this thread you have been a friend; Though they may not realize it yet.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    RIP Jeff Cooper.

Sincere thanks for what you gave us, Colonel, and rest assured that we will continue to refine and advance from that which you helped to establish and secure.

May we never rest on our laurels or become complacent.

We truly stand on the backs of giants, but this aint no campground, folks.

Advance.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Agreed, in the same manner that Henry Ford brought us the Model T, we have since moved on to more efficient methods of modern industry. The model T was and is still an amazing accomplishment, but it doesn't have airbags, therefore has been relegated to being historically significant, yet impractical for modern usage.

The 4 rules are the model T of gun safety. Playing pretend as a 1st rule is unnecessary and antiquated, Time to move forward.

RIP Jeff Cooper.

Sincere thanks for what you gave us, Colonel, and rest assured that we will continue to refine and advance from that which you helped to establish and secure.

May we never rest on our laurels or become complacent.

We truly stand on the backs of giants, but this aint no campground, folks.

Advance.

Top Bottom