• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I stopped on Friday, pulled a 20-ish year old kid & his car out of a snowbank. He didn't have a cell phone and had been sitting for only a few minutes. I was the first car to pass. He was not even sure what he should do. Temps outside were below zero so he didn't want to walk back to his friend's house, only about a mile down the road, because he didn't have gloves/hat/heavy coat. Took all of about 2 minutes to pull him out of the snow and back up on the roadway. I knew I kept that tow strap in the SUV for something!!!

This kid was a visitor to a family down the road. We live about 5 miles outside of a small town in a pretty rural area. He was down from the safety of the 'suburbs' that lie 15 miles north.

But it does make me wonder. Why do city/suburban people go out, on days when the high temperature is predicted to be -5 F, after a week that dumped roughly 20" of snow, without ANY winter gear like gloves/hats/boots/heavy coats?

Are you prepared? Even for the simple stuff? What is in your car/truck?

Since I drive with my daughter, I tend to carry stuff for both her and myself. Back of the truck has snowmobile boots, hats, extra pair of pants, socks, gloves, hat, etc. Just in case. Oh, and there are all the usual simple tools, tow strap, first aid kit, hand warmers, flashlight, snacks, etc., enough to help keep me comfy, or get me out of a jam.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    After reading your post I think i will double cheeck my truck. Not so much for snow protection but I am thinking it would be best to keep more then one blanket and a set of gloves and hat. Your mentioning your daughter is what has me thinking I need to over pack. I'd hate for my diesel to gel up, or truck to not run period, in -0 weather with my little 3 year old girl with me.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Every time I've come across somebody like this, they tell me "I never thought it would happen!!"

On a sunny clear day, it takes me about a half-hour to drive from Delphi to West Lafayette, where I work. It took me two hours to get home the other day! My car is (and always has been) stocked for living, with food, water, clothes, you name it. I've got a little car and don't stand any chance of pulling someone from a ditch, but I could be comfortable if I had to be..

Another big part of winter driving is to slow down and take your time! I had a guy blow by me in a fancy SUV the other day, and he was out of sight before I knew it. Of course, a couple miles up the road, it looked like he tried to turn a little bit too fast and ended up in a ravine, SUV on its side. He was crawling up the hill, yelling at me because it was somehow my fault because I wasn't going fast enough.. of course, the nice sheriff's deputies behind me convinced him quickly that there was no yelling needed :)

I didn't witness the accident itself so they turned me loose, but it took several hours to get him out of the ravine. He was from the Chicago area from what I learned later, and I'd think someone that lives in an area where there's that much snow would know how to drive a little more carefully, but I guess you can't tell everybody..

Slow down and drive safe - it'll keep you on the road!!

BaconGrease

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    But it does make me wonder. Why do city/suburban people go out, on days when the high temperature is predicted to be -5 F, after a week that dumped roughly 20" of snow, without ANY winter gear like gloves/hats/boots/heavy coats?

Because its the same old story. People think "It can never happen to me." Therefore they go out into the world unprepared, and with their heads in the sand. Waiting for someone else to come along and take care of them.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Because its the same old story. People think "It can never happen to me." Therefore they go out into the world unprepared, and with their heads in the sand. Waiting for someone else to come along and take care of them.

I think it's more of the fact that people don't think period.

Everyone needs a GHB in their car period.

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    in the winter i have extra clothes,boots,gloves,shovel and six bags of salt (heavier on the back of truck for traction)
    always a full tank(i have an auxiliary 95 gallon tank in the bed)and decent tires
    always a cell,GHB,small compressor(12 volt with a light),straps,ax and water(there is food in my GHB)
    you just never now

Top Bottom