• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    You have a lot here, looking at your first point you reference that this has been tried for roughly 30 years, and we have not seen success. Do you think they were successful, or perhaps they turned a blind eye to questionable side effects? In one of the recent failed attempts the vaccine killed the subject once it was re-exposed to the virus again. I believe that was a mRNA issue(not certain), creating an adverse auto immune response.
    The testing I was referring to is long term which they would not have until time passes. CDC has been questioned for lack of safety studies on childhood vaccines going back to 1986.
    My point in all of this is risk vs benefit. Taking a vaccine in a 99+% recovery rate group is NOT worth it in my eyes.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there like below which references total deaths for 2020 on par for avg over last 10 years. Another valid question, where did all the flu deaths go?? I think something everyone could agree on is, conflicting information is at an all time high.
    View attachment 128999
    We could go back and forth with information like this, and lose people in the weeds. I have gone out and found enough information on my own to be comfortable in my stance. I understand that I may not change your mind, as you probably wont change mine based on what I have learned to this point. However, I like to have these types of conversations in hopes that it inspires others to go find their own knowledge rather than being fed from what could be a one sided source.

Touching your last point I am aware of how mutations work, I took micro once:cool:.. By all means I want them to continue to try and combat all diseases as effectively as possible. If something is good, it will speak for itself in results. When something comes from more of a "mandate" position I start to ask questions.
    Not that there hasn't been success, just that it hasn't been used. As far as side effects, yeah, I'm not unconcerned. Just like everything else in life, there is risk. I've looked at it, and IMO it is worth it if we can get things back to normal. I've been forced to take questionable vaccines before (thank you DOD!) so it isn't without precedent for me personally.
    Now, as far as Dr. David Samadi goes, with his legal issues (multiple fraud lawsuits) not sure if I'd take him at his word.
    It's good that we can have these conversations, while you didn't change my mind, you did give me some things to think about. I wholeheartedly agree that it shouldn't be mandatory, let us decide.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    My answer was unsure. But now I think I will get the vaccine when available to me, I'm 53. My wife is so set on going to our favorite all inclusive in Punta Cana this year. I don't think we should go until we get the vaccine.
    My wife and I have appointments Saturday the 3rd at Lake County Fairgrounds for our first shot. Then after we get appointments for our second shot we will make plans for some traveling!!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not directly appointment related but I tested positive several days after my first shot. Largely asymptomatic but enough so to trigger the system at work. I ended up with 10 paid days off and got a lot done around the house. The wife tested negative 3 times during the period I was "in quarantine" but still got fairly sick and ended up missing 14 days and was ultimately diagnosed with pneumonia. She donated blood last week and tested positive for antibodies. My guess is that I didn't have it and she did. I know the accuracy rates on the testing is somewhere around 50 percent but man they missed it on this one!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My wife and I have appointments Saturday the 3rd at Lake County Fairgrounds for our first shot. Then after we get appointments for our second shot we will make plans for some traveling!!

Same here, as soon as my wife gets her second we're heading to FL to visit sis. We're done sitting at home.

Flame suit on.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not directly appointment related but I tested positive several days after my first shot. Largely asymptomatic but enough so to trigger the system at work. I ended up with 10 paid days off and got a lot done around the house. The wife tested negative 3 times during the period I was "in quarantine" but still got fairly sick and ended up missing 14 days and was ultimately diagnosed with pneumonia. She donated blood last week and tested positive for antibodies. My guess is that I didn't have it and she did. I know the accuracy rates on the testing is somewhere around 50 percent but man they missed it on this one!
    When you compound the accuracy of several tests the overall result should be more accurate. But even if the accuracy was supposed to be 99.9%, someone has to fall within that .1%.

Was she vaccinated prior to all this as well?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The testing seems to be inaccurate a lot more on the POSITIVE side than on the NEGATIVE side. So lots of false positives. No so many false negatives. Seems odd your wife would have tested negative 3 times and then tested to show antibodies. Someone screwed that up.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    So maybe we will be out of the mess in April?

I'd bet even if the numbers say we are statistically over this pandemic that the political ruling class will try to keep us entombed in our isolation.

I'm getting Shot #2 of Moderna on Monday and looking forward to all of society returning to normal ASAP

Interesting article, no tin hat needed.

Scientist/doctor at Johns Hopkins has a lot to say about why Covid will largely be gone in April:

A professor of surgery writes an op-ed that people want to hear. Doesn't it make you curious what the epidemiology shows? I think his statement that we were picking up 10% of the cases was true early in the epidemic. Where is his evidence for that now?

Obviously, cases have been flattening or dropping, depending on which area you look at. That's good news. It's great news that we can probably have every adult vaccinated by the end of May. So yes, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. But there is also increase of a more contagious variant. It's very realistic to think there will be one more surge of cases. The only reason I can think of that there won't be, is if the people already infected are the ones out interacting with others more. IOW, there may still be enough of society that will wait until they are vaccinated before they start going to restaurants, flying, etc.

I don't mind continuing to wear a mask although I'm fully vaccinated; it looks like there is a low chance I would transmit but it's an important time to not be mixing variants that multiply in the vaccinated with the unvaccinated. However, once we get an opportunity for everyone to get a vaccine (including susceptible children) then I suspect we'll return to normalcy and the anti-vaxxers are on their own. We might have to get boosters if replication keeps producing variants that jump the protection. The mRNA vaccines will be easy to modify.

I'm also donating to Doctors Without Borders to help overseas vaccine efforts. This is a threat to all of us as long as it is multiplying anywhere.

My husband had his first vaccine the day that Indiana opened it up to 50+. So we are hoping our trip to the Galapagos (postponed from Oct 2020 to Oct 2021) will now take place. Ecuador had a hard time with Covid (bodies in the streets faster than they could pick them up) so I'm sure they might require testing as well as proof of vaccine. That doesn't bother me.

I don't really want to see the US government running some kind of internal system for who is vaccinated. I don't mind a private business asking, but once the government gets started with a system like that I'm sure they'll think of too many other ways to use it.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The testing seems to be inaccurate a lot more on the POSITIVE side than on the NEGATIVE side. So lots of false positives. No so many false negatives. Seems odd your wife would have tested negative 3 times and then tested to show antibodies. Someone screwed that up.
    I don't think you can generalize like that about testing. Rapid tests are not as accurate, but are more likely to be false negative (because it takes a bigger viral load)

PCR tests are highly specific. IOW, they rarely pick up something else and call it SARSCov2. However, they can pick up small volumes such as picking up virus off an object or theoretically even on your nostril because you were next to someone that was infected.

I've had infectious disease docs say they've see some Covid cases that weren't testing positive until the people were in ICU and they were intubated; then they finally got positive results from the airway sampling.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    With the stated intentions around the world to use corporations to force people to accept the continual jabs, how many people will say no?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    No they have not.

The new strains are more transmissible but so far all the major US approved vaccines are more effective on all major strains of Covid than on the seasonal flu.
    I think we have to be more specific. The mRNA vaccines appear to be effective against the commonly circulating strains including the UK variant.

What preliminary testing I have seen on the Brazil and South African variant also still showed them effective enough to prevent severe cases. The companies are working on the possibility of providing another sequence in the vaccine if needed. Genetic tracking of the virus makes it appear that the UK variant is taking over here, but not the others.

There was also a misleading paper about the Brazil variant. When an area of the Amazon previously thought to have herd immunity got a new wave, they thought the people were being reinfected with a new variant. It turned out the original estimate of herd immunity was probably wrong.

I think we're at "so far so good" with the vaccines and at this point you are not likely to be infected with a strain that jumps the vaccine. Possibly, we'll need a booster in a few months if that turns out to be a problem.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't think you can generalize like that about testing. Rapid tests are not as accurate, but are more likely to be false negative (because it takes a bigger viral load)

PCR tests are highly specific. IOW, they rarely pick up something else and call it SARSCov2. However, they can pick up small volumes such as picking up virus off an object or theoretically even on your nostril because you were next to someone that was infected.

I've had infectious disease docs say they've see some Covid cases that weren't testing positive until the people were in ICU and they were intubated; then they finally got positive results from the airway sampling.
    Wait so you don't think I can generalize but then you generalized?

Uh, data shows there are huge numbers of false positives. The data does not show that for false negatives. Plenty of data backs up that generalization.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    To be employed, to enter stores, to enter restaurants, to make use of financial services, to travel. Obviously the intent is to coerce everyone to become a part of the system of continual jabs. What that system is intended to produce is not so obvious.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom