• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In that case, if they choose to cycle long stretches of road where there's no practicable spot to pull over, wouldn't that mean they're knowingly impeding traffic and therefore choosing to earn of the ire of everyone who has to crawl behind them rather than drive an appropriate speed? They're essentially choosing to say their recreation is more important than other's time.

Yes. Which is why people hate cyclists. The rest of the thread has just been entertainment dancing around that point whenever it's made.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In that case, if they choose to cycle long stretches of road where there's no practicable spot to pull over, wouldn't that mean they're knowingly impeding traffic and therefore choosing to earn of the ire of everyone who has to crawl behind them rather than drive an appropriate speed? They're essentially choosing to say their recreation is more important than other's time.

These are rural roads with no business or community areas nearby. They're not going to work or traveling to a destination. Meanwhile, the people who live there and have to commute to work have to put up with it. I've already changed my route home to a longer one because it's still much faster than dealing with cyclists who turn a 20 minute commute into a 35 minute one.

A good percentage of drivers are oblivious and careless. They don't have much consideration for others. From personal experience, there's a higher percentage of cyclists who are the same way.

I'm not trying to say all cyclists are this way, but there's enough that when you see one, you get to the point where you assume they're gonna be an entitled pain who's gonna delay your commute.
    If only there were: no pedestrians crossing streets, no slower drivers driving in the road, perfectly smooth roads, no stop lights to stop for, no stop signs, I could cut my half hour commute to fifteen minutes…

The selfishness never stops…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes. Which is why people hate cyclists. The rest of the thread has just been entertainment dancing around that point whenever it's made.
    The truth is selfish aholes hate ANYTHING that slightly impedes their entitled movements.

Cyclists, farm equipment, etc. You name it, they all are hated, you can read the rants on social media regularly.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The truth is selfish aholes hate ANYTHING that slightly impedes their entitled movements.

Cyclists, farm equipment, etc. You name it, they all are hated, you can read the rants on social media regularly.
    Toddlers don't like it when adults don't let them have their way too. But sometimes, play time has to stop.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You left out the second part of my statement. Drivers aren't typically "playing" (recreating).
    I quoted your post at the time. And calling BS on the addition.

No one is on their way to kids soccer, dance, chess club etc.? No one is on their way to the workout facility, golf, tennis, pickleball, where the parking lots and courts are full? What about those plugging up the roads to go to the range? That is recreational travel, is it not?

There should be a law that only those on their way to work or on their way home are allowed to use the roads…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

No one is on their way to kids soccer, dance, chess club etc.? No one is on their way to the workout facility, golf, tennis, pickleball, where the parking lots and courts are full? What about those plugging up the roads to go to the range? That is recreational travel, is it not?

There should be a law that only those on their way to work or on their way home are allowed to use the roads…
    No, that is not recreational travel. That is legitimate travel to a place to recreate. Unless they're playing soccer, golf, tennis, etc., in the middle of the road.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No, that is not recreational travel. That is legitimate travel to a place to recreate. Unless they're playing soccer, golf, tennis, etc., in the middle of the road.
    Yes it is. If it is not travel for work or home, it is recreational. It is a frivolous use of the roadways causing considerably more damage to those roadways than any bicycle, and those other recreational travelers, the absolute worst of the lot are those with RV’s. Not only do they inflict tremendous damage to the roads they are slow, often driven by those inexperienced with larger vehicle or trailers. Heck, recreational is in the name.

To those suggesting bikes not be allowed on the roads do you realize just how selfish and entitled you sound?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes it is. If it is not travel for work or home, it is recreational. It is a frivolous use of the roadways causing considerably more damage to those roadways than any bicycle, and those other recreational travelers, the absolute worst of the lot are those with RV’s. Not only do they inflict tremendous damage to the roads they are slow, often driven by those inexperienced with larger vehicle or trailers. Heck, recreational is in the name.

To those suggesting bikes not be allowed on the roads do you realize just how selfish and entitled you sound?
    I'm not, nor have I ever suggested that bikes not be allowed on the roads. What I'm saying is that, while allowed to be on the roads and subject to the same traffic laws as motor vehicles, they should be considered similarly to "slow moving vehicles" and be required to "yield" to motor vehicles for the safety of all involved IMHO.

As to the first part of your reply, we will have to agree to disagree. I provided my reasoning.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not, nor have I ever suggested that bikes not be allowed on the roads. What I'm saying is that, while allowed to be on the roads and subject to the same traffic laws as motor vehicles, they should be considered similarly to "slow moving vehicles" and be required to "yield" to motor vehicles for the safety of all involved IMHO.

As to the first part of your reply, we will have to agree to disagree. I provided my reasoning.
    And those that believe high speed vehicles should yield to bicycles have as much right to their opinion. :lmfao:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Like selfish aholes hate being reminded their selfish behavior impacts others. Yeah, we get it.

Are they doing under 1/2 the speed limit and causing backups? More false equivalency to playing with toys in the roadway.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Like selfish aholes hate being reminded their selfish behavior impacts others. Yeah, we get it.

Are they doing under 1/2 the speed limit and causing backups? More false equivalency to playing with toys in the roadway.
    So folks that want to legally ride a bike are selfish because they exercise their right to use the road as anyone else and those that want to ban bikes from the road are just in a hurry. Got it.

Bicycles are a mode of transportation for many…

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Do I remember reading here that bicyclists are/should-be considered the equivalent of all motor vehicles with the same "rights" to traffic lanes, and following the same rules of the road as other traffic?

Indiana Code Title 9. Motor Vehicles § 9-21-5-7​

Current as of June 08, 2021 | Updated by FindLaw Staff
    Sec. 7. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law.  A person who is driving:

(1) on a roadway that has not more than one (1) lane of traffic in each direction;  and

(2) at a slow speed so that three (3) or more other vehicles are blocked and cannot pass on the left around the vehicle;

shall give right-of-way to the other vehicles by pulling off to the right of the right lane at the earliest reasonable opportunity and allowing the blocked vehicles to pass.
    (b) A person who fails to give right-of-way as required by subsection (a) commits a Class C infraction.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do I remember reading here that bicyclists are/should-be considered the equivalent of all motor vehicles with the same "rights" to traffic lanes, and following the same rules of the road as other traffic?

Indiana Code Title 9. Motor Vehicles § 9-21-5-7​

Current as of June 08, 2021 | Updated by FindLaw Staff
    Sec. 7. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law.  A person who is driving:

(1) on a roadway that has not more than one (1) lane of traffic in each direction;  and

(2) at a slow speed so that three (3) or more other vehicles are blocked and cannot pass on the left around the vehicle;

shall give right-of-way to the other vehicles by pulling off to the right of the right lane at the earliest reasonable opportunity and allowing the blocked vehicles to pass.
    (b) A person who fails to give right-of-way as required by subsection (a) commits a Class C infraction.
    The bicycle code is posted in this thread…

Top Bottom