• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Has every striker fired pistol been recalled like the P320?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I haven't experienced an unintended discharge but when I was working RSO at RUSA I saw one dropped. Somehow the slide disengaged from the front rails on the frame. Took quite a bit of doing and a soft hammer to get it righted and I still haven't figured out how it happened even though I saw the gun hit the floor. That was enough for me to give them a thumbs down but as others have said YMMV.. Your money, your life that's potentially at stake so do as you please.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I haven't experienced an unintended discharge but when I was working RSO at RUSA I saw one dropped. Somehow the slide disengaged from the front rails on the frame. Took quite a bit of doing and a soft hammer to get it righted and I still haven't figured out how it happened even though I saw the gun hit the floor. That was enough for me to give them a thumbs down but as others have said YMMV.. Your money, your life that's potentially at stake so do as you please.
    Can I ask what Handgun you carry?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    LOL, I went to a striker fire only after they were available with a manual safety.
    I have zero desire to have a striker pistol discharge when I'm pulling it out or putting it in a holster. A 320 has multiple safety's built into it.
    Its everything Glock Perfection just can't attain with 5 generations now.
    I'm assuming you feel the need to have an active safety because you are uncomfortable carrying a round in the chamber without one?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana

Special Forces pulls new pistols from service after soldier injured in misfire​

How about an update. Would you like an update?

"The investigation concluded the primary probable cause of the incident was due to a partial depression of the trigger by a foreign object combined with simultaneous movement of the slide against the pistol frame that then allowed a round to be fired whilst the pistol was still holstered," said a summary of the investigation, released to CBC News today."

Oh look. Canada's armed forces have now adopted the P320. That's weird, since they are well known to eat children and kill puppies without anyone touching them.

Didn’t know there was an update thanks for posting.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm assuming you feel the need to have an active safety because you are uncomfortable carrying a round in the chamber without one?
    Nope, not at all.
    For the 35 plus years that I carried a P226 when I needed to holster it, I simply put my thumb on top of the hammer and slid it in the holster. If I did feel the hammer coming back from something like a shirt tail, keys or any foreign object being in the holster, my brain told my hand to stop pushing and withdraw the pistol from the holster.
    Then find out what was the problem and fix it and re-holster the pistol.

One cant do that with a striker fired pistol now can we? You push it in a holster with something inside of it or drag a shirt and pull it in the holster and you get the dreaded "POP"
    The safety is used when I holster my 320 and my G3C pistols.
    Thats the only time its used.
    I'm far from uncomfortable carrying a loaded firearm.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Nope, not at all.
    For the 35 plus years that I carried a P226 when I needed to holster it, I simply put my thumb on top of the hammer and slid it in the holster. If I did feel the hammer coming back from something like a shirt tail, keys or any foreign object being in the holster, my brain told my hand to stop pushing and withdraw the pistol from the holster.
    Then find out what was the problem and fix it and re-holster the pistol.

One cant do that with a striker fired pistol now can we? You push it in a holster with something inside of it or drag a shirt and pull it in the holster and you get the dreaded "POP"
    The safety is used when I holster my 320 and my G3C pistols.
    Thats the only time its used.
    I'm far from uncomfortable carrying a loaded firearm.
    Someone makes some kind of "flapper" for a Glock slide cover to allow you to do the same thing but I've personally never felt the need for one. Just keep in mind that any mechanical device, including a mechanical safety can fail that is why I discourage those I'm training not to depend on one. You are doing what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. That's what we all need to do to stay safe.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Someone makes some kind of "flapper" for a Glock slide cover to allow you to do the same thing but I've personally never felt the need for one. Just keep in mind that any mechanical device, including a mechanical safety can fail that is why I discourage those I'm training not to depend on one. You are doing what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. That's what we all need to do to stay safe.
    I own a few Gen 3 Glocks, but I dont carry a Glock
    They have a huge track record of "POPS"

Your pistol comes with a Striker Block Safety and Trigger Safety,
    Have you eliminated the two mechanical safety's on your carry pistol?

I do find it interesting when someone who "Instructs Others" says using a safety is not a good thing. I really do find it fascinating.
    I know this, in all the decades of carrying firearms I have had more than a few failures, never have I seen or had a failure with a mechanical safety.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

But is that EVERY striker fired pistol?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It was not a mandatory recall, its voluntary.
    Like getting a 3 screw Ruger upgraded. its completely voluntary to do.
    Why do you consider the P320 to be the safest striker fired pistol?

Hell, I'm seeing a lot of good reviews on Taurus's recently...

But most folks will not have issues with their pistols (any brand), compared to what you hear online. People typically don't go online to rave about a problem free product...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Why do you consider the P320 to be the safest striker fired pistol?

Hell, I'm seeing a lot of good reviews on Taurus's recently...

But most folks will not have issues with their pistols (any brand), compared to what you hear online. People typically don't go online to rave about a problem free product...
    For the reason that it has more redundant safety features than any of the other striker fire that I know of. Its everything a Glock and all of their copy's want to be, but aren't. Ive posted that I own a Taurus G3C pistol, I own one because its a micro that comes with a manual safety.

Spend 26 min and watch this video, it breaks the 320 fire control group down.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I own a few Gen 3 Glocks, but I dont carry a Glock
    They have a huge track record of "POPS"

Your pistol comes with a Striker Block Safety and Trigger Safety,
    Have you eliminated the two mechanical safety's on your carry pistol?

I do find it interesting when someone who "Instructs Others" says using a safety is not a good thing. I really do find it fascinating.
    I know this, in all the decades of carrying firearms I have had more than a few failures, never have I seen or had a failure with a mechanical safety.
    Huge track record of "pops"? Care to elaborate with a link? To my knowledge a Glock like most pistols discharge when the trigger is pulled, as the are intended to. That normally takes a finger but if anything depresses the trigger the gun is designed to fire. That would not be any sort of accident but a negligent discharge.
    I'll correct myself, there are two types of safeties, active safeties and passive safeties. Active safeties must be engaged and disengaged by the operator. Passive safeties disengage automatically as the trigger is depressed. Glocks have no active safeties but 3 passive safeties. I have no knowledge of the inner workings of a 320 but I am very familiar with a Glock.
    Where the active safeties are concerned my statement was active, or what most refer to as mechanical safeties like any mechanical device can fail. Saw a Ruger LC9S that Parabellum had on the rental wall that had a broken active safety. Not sure how it happened but it would move up and down but was not functioning. I was involved in calling Ruger about the issue and they happily replaced the pistol.
    Not accusing you of anything but people in general tend to neglect safe gun handling procedures when they have the mindset of "the safety is on". Just like sweeping someone with a pistol simply because the slide is locked to the rear while grinning and saying, it's not loaded. I tell the people I train that their safety, as well as everyone around them is between their ears and always depends on following four basic safety rules. Depending on an active safety to prevent a discharge is not one of those rules..
    If you have confidence with your 320 I'm happy you are training and educating yourself. Simply stated your first choice is not on my top ten list because of what I have personally witnessed but that doesn't mean you are wrong, we just have a difference of opinion, certainly nothing to get agitated about. I hope neither of us find out we're mistaken. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It was not a mandatory recall, its voluntary.
    Like getting a 3 screw Ruger upgraded. its completely voluntary to do.
    Probably more to do with laws relating to firearms and recalls than anything else. If I remember correctly firearms are pretty much exempted from a lot of consumer protection regulations. Therefore they can't be forced to do a recall like automobiles or other consumer products. There are reasons for this that are perfectly valid.

I believe Remington 700's were a voluntary as well, though they did call it a recall. Most of the time voluntary upgrade vs recall has more to do with admitting anything being wrong from a legal standpoint.

Mind you I am generally agreeing with you as pretty much every striker fired gun and plenty of non striker fired guns have had voluntary upgrades.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Huge track record of "pops"? Care to elaborate with a link? To my knowledge a Glock like most pistols discharge when the trigger is pulled, as the are intended to. That normally takes a finger but if anything depresses the trigger the gun is designed to fire. That would not be any sort of accident but a negligent discharge.
    I'll correct myself, there are two types of safeties, active safeties and passive safeties. Active safeties must be engaged and disengaged by the operator. Passive safeties disengage automatically as the trigger is depressed. Glocks have no active safeties but 3 passive safeties. I have no knowledge of the inner workings of a 320 but I am very familiar with a Glock. As I said before, your decision on what you trust your life with and we have different opinions on what is the safest and most effective.
    Where the active safeties are concerned my statement was active, or what most refer to as mechanical safeties like any mechanical device can fail. Saw a Ruger LC9S that Parabellum had on the rental wall that had a broken active safety. Not sure how it happened but it would move up and down but was not functioning. I was involved in calling Ruger about the issue and they happily replaced the pistol.
    Not accusing you of anything but people in general tend to neglect safe gun handling procedures when they have the mindset of "the safety is on". Just like sweeping someone with a pistol simply because the slide is locked to the rear while grinning and saying, it's not loaded. I tell the people I train that their safety, as well as everyone around them is between their ears and always depends on following four basic safety rules. Depending on an active safety to prevent a discharge is not one of those rules..
    If you have confidence with your 320 I'm happy you are training and educating yourself. Simply stated your first choice is not on my top ten list because of what I have personally witnessed but that doesn't mean you are wrong, we just have a difference of opinion, certainly nothing to get agitated about. :thumbsup:
    I posted the video that does a complete breakdown of all of the 320's trigger system, seems your just not interested in learning. Thats fine also.

But in all honesty, Sig out did glock by a long shot with the 320 pistol.

Lots of things can pull a trigger my friend, but I'm quite certain that with a manual safety flipped on, the odds of a negligent discharge drop immensely.
    Can't do that with a Glock or its copy's.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Not really, every striker fired pistol doesn't have the unsupported chamber they are complaining about. I don't know the engineering reason but I have run 10 of thousands of rounds through the unsafe barrels they are talking about without issue.
    I've run thousands of rounds downrange without any issues here, likely billions of rounds worldwide without issues.

I haven't seen anything that makes the P320 the be all end all that some are claiming it is.

It's been recalled, like many other pistols. If it works for you, great. Doesn't mean it's the best one out there...

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I posted the video that does a complete breakdown of all of the 320's trigger system, seems your just not interested in learning. Thats fine also.

But in all honesty, Sig out did glock by a long shot with the 320 pistol.

Lots of things can pull a trigger my friend, but I'm quite certain that with a manual safety flipped on, the odds of a negligent discharge drop immensely.
    Can't do that with a Glock or its copy's.
    I do have a bit of an engineering background but you are correct, I'm not interested in spending a half hour learning about a 320 trigger because of my experience with them. Learning about the trigger won't explain the slide frame disengagement I witnessed. Still waiting on the link about the "pops"

Top Bottom