• ...and so much more!
  • Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    After having owned a couple of hundred handguns, I recently sold away all of my handguns (one to go) and decided to sit for a while and think about what qualities I wanted most in a handgun, and which of the pistols I have owned in the past have met my needs most readily.

At the end of that internal dialogue, I came to the conclusion that the SIG Sauer P320 Compact, chambered in 9mm, best fits my needs on a daily basis.

SIG P320 Compact.jpg

Here's why:

1. Ergonomics - The standard, compact, medium grip fits my hand as well as any pistol on the planet.
    2. Weight - It is lightweight, which matters as the day wears on.
    3. Capacity - Although I love the 1911, the ability to fire a pistol sixteen times before needing to reload is a huge benefit. Nobody ever complained they had too many rounds in a gunfight.
    4. The Company - SIG Sauer has so many government contracts and so much money with which to now both fund R&D as well as handle any complaints which might arise from their customers, you don't have to worry about being left high and dry as you might with other, less successful firearm companies.
    5. High Bore Axis - I LOVE the fact that the SIG Sauer P320 has a higher bore axis than many of their competitors. Although a low bore axis MIGHT impart less "flip" to the shooting experience, it also directs the recoil more directly into the shooter's hand. The SIG P320 shoots SOFT, which feels very nice by comparison to my many experiences with GLOCK, S&W, etc.
    6. Military testing - Regardless of the how, why, or when, the P320 was chosen to serve after completing SOME testing by the military, which may not mean much to some as we all know the government is rarely the standard for excellence to be followed, but it does speak to the fact that the pistol is NOT a complete **** show and has completed at least some testing by the government and deemed worthy.
    7. Trigger - Although dry-firing the P320 is riddled with a lackluster "thunk" sound and feel, on the range, the P320 trigger shines in my hands with a clean break, a crisp reset, and no little "dingle-safety" on its surface.
    8. Modularity - Throw on the "carry" grip module, and now you have a 17+1 capacity in a "Commander" configuration. Change out the slide to a longer one, and you now have a longer sight radius with the shorter grip in that "reverse Commander" configuration. Hundreds of ways to configure the pistol to make it just the way you like it. Fortunately for me (and my wallet), the basic configuration is my favorite.

Topped with SIG Lite Night Sights, the pistol needs nothing added and nothing subtracted to serve well in an EDC role. The P320 is the "just-right porridge" in my particular tale. Nothing exciting in particular, but plenty of excitement as a complete package!

YMMV!

Thanks for your time!

Vanguard.45

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I actually just picked up a P320 AXG Classic as a Birthday present to myself. Mostly because I want to do a Flux Raider build and if I have to get a 320 to do it may as well be one I like the looks of. Immediately replaced the curved trigger with the Sig flat trigger and upgraded the recoil spring assembly because the OEM one is garbage (a known issue with the AXG Classic) and I like it more than expected. Need to get some more range time with it but it's pretty nice. Still going to build the Flux Raider out of it though

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    They are admittedly not idiot-proof.

:):
    No gun is, but does it have the same configuration as the full size? If so it has the same problems. There has been way too many misfires to ignore. Many agencies are dropping the platform some ranges have banned them and law suits are in motion. Pretty hard not to notice there is a problem.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Do the compact models have the Auto-ND feature like the full size?
    I am of the understanding the civilian trigger group is the same in all the 320 modules along with the civilian M17 and M18 pistols. Some have a extra manual safety and other don't. I bought three M17s a few years ago and I'm going to pick up a M18 and shift the M17 I carry to the M18 model.
    Mine is in the holster and my sons are the other two, They are everything a Glock isn't.

105.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    No gun is, but does it have the same configuration as the full size? If so it has the same problems. There has been way too many misfires to ignore. Many agencies are dropping the platform some ranges have banned them and law suits are in motion. Pretty hard not to notice there is a problem.
    Funny how the ones the US military uses aren't having this issue, and the only difference in operation is the thumb safety. That tells me that morons are hitting the triggers, which the P320 is admittedly less forgiving of due to the trigger weight and absence of a trigger dongle safety.

I remember the days of Glock leg and KaBooms. The gun culture is easily spooked. If you're scared of them, don't buy one.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

After the hammer drop recall, I have yet to see anyone reproduce these 320's having a mind of there own.
    Have you watched "The Sig Mechanic's video on the 320's trigger group"
    26 min well spent.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Funny how the ones the US military uses aren't having this issue, and the only difference in operation is the thumb safety. That tells me that morons are hitting the triggers, which the P320 is admittedly less forgiving of due to the trigger weight and absence of a trigger dongle safety.

I remember the days of Glock leg and KaBooms. The gun culture is easily spooked. If you're scared of them, don't buy one.
    There must be a lot of morons out there. But somethings up because you don't hear of this happening with other guns. I hope you have good luck with yours.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Funny how the ones the US military users aren't having this issue, and the only difference in operation is the thumb safety. That tells me that morons are hitting the triggers, which the P320 is admittedly less forgiving of due to the trigger weight and absence of a trigger dongle safety.

But the 320 has a second notch safety that glock doesn't have.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    After the hammer drop recall, I have yet to see anyone reproduce these 320's having a mind of there own.
    Have you watched "The Sig Mechanic's video on the 320's trigger group"
    26 min well spent.

From what I understand these malfunctions are going one till this day.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    From what I understand these malfunctions are going one till this day.
    Impossible, If its the pistol? its a mechanical problem, Right
    If its mechanical it should be easily able to be reproduced. Right
    It cant be reproduced. Not by Sig Sauer, outside engineers, attorneys, in courts during lawsuits. I have yet to see anyone proving these pistols have safety issues.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    There must be a lot of morons out there. But somethings up because you don't hear of this happening with other guns. I hope you have good luck with yours.
    Why are you concerned about what I carry? Hint: You're not. You're just trolling a P320 thread.

Go bother the 1911 fudds. But you might have to wait until tomorrow, it's past their bedtime.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Why are you concerned about what I carry? Hint: You're not. You're just trolling a P320 thread.

Go bother the 1911 fudds. But you might have to wait until tomorrow, it's past their bedtime.

I seem to have struck a nerve. Enjoy your fud Sig but keep it away from me. :banana:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    LOL, I went to a striker fire only after they were available with a manual safety.
    I have zero desire to have a striker pistol discharge when I'm pulling it out or putting it in a holster. A 320 has multiple safety's built into it.
    Its everything Glock Perfection just can't attain with 5 generations now.

Top Bottom