Why does everyone love the Remington 870 so much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This is really the same Glock/M&P debate that's been beaten to death on INGO. (the 500/870 debate is approaching a close second).

Just pick the one YOU prefer and quit worrying so much about what other people like.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I dont think you understand. Ive ALREADY picked mine. I think alot, and Ive been picking my brain trying to figure out why people like the 870 so much. Im not looking for someone to make my mind up, its already made up. Im trying to understand the reasons for people choosing the 870 instead.

In the same way that I like to know what causes a person to pick a glock over and M&P or vice a verse.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I got a 870 for my 1st 16th bday. I think it was the 1st yr for walmart holiday combo(18.5 & 26" screw in choke barrels ). that was 30yrs ago and it still looks and shoots great. I have a pretty new mossy 590.....with magnum loads its ok , but 2 3/4 short brass it wants to fte.
    im going to stay with the 870 forever,but im looking to trade my 590

When was your 2nd 16th birthday?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I dont think you understand. Ive ALREADY picked mine. I think alot, and Ive been picking my brain trying to figure out why people like the 870 so much. Im not looking for someone to make my mind up, its already made up. Im trying to understand the reasons for people choosing the 870 instead.

In the same way that I like to know what causes a person to pick a glock over and M&P or vice a verse.

If your mind is made up, don't worry about what other people prefer. Sounds to me like you're not very secure in your own decision though if you're still that hung up on why so many others prefer the 870.

Like I said, I owned both and sold the 500. It was a great gun, just not as great as the 870.

409364036.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

then nothing we say will change your mind. Your just looking for a fight so to speak.
    As far as used prices being ridiculous to use as a comparison because the prices fluctuate so much. , I could say the same for new prices. I'd never pay more than what I mentioned above for basic models of those guns so that's why I used it as a personal example. If you don't like ANY answer your gonna get then why ask?

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I'm a lefty, and own both Mossy and Rem , my 870 has less felt recoil, feeds a wider variety of ammo with less issue than my Mossy ( a 500) . Now my Mossberg isn't ammo sensitive per say but a couple brands I've tried have stopped it up as far as sticking in the chamber that haven't given any trouble in my 870. I do think the tang safety is a bit easier, faster to use for a lefty but the Rem has more features that for me make the gun easier to use and maintain and more comfortable to shoot.
    I like the ease of mag spring removal for cleaning and or replacement of the 870.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    You have to remember there is a big difference in Remington 870's. A 870 Express is nowhere near the quality of a 870 Wingmaster or Police model. I would take a Mossberg 590 A-1 over a Remington 870 Express any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. When you compare these guns, you cannot paint with a broad brush.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'll agree with Chez...this is the Glock/M&P debate except with pump shotguns.

Why do you like it? Cuz it works every time and goes bang when I pull the trigger. Yeah, but whyyyyy???

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    You have to remember there is a big difference in Remington 870's. A 870 Express is nowhere near the quality of a 870 Wingmaster or Police model. I would take a Mossberg 590 A-1 over a Remington 870 Express any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. When you compare these guns, you cannot paint with a broad brush.

The op referred only to the 500.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yes that's true. That's why I just said basic models.
    ill still take a 870 wingmaster over a 590. Just my thing

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The 500 / 535 / 590 are all related better than the various models of the 870 are. Especially from a cost standpoint. Some 870's can cost twice as much as others.

Not what the op asked, but some 590s cost nearly double what some 500s cost , more than twice if we include Mossberg's version of Rem Express , the Maverick . The 590 series also use a totally different mag tube/barrel setup than the 500.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    One thing I don't care for on the 870, is that cheap, cheesy, double C-Clamp they use to attach the barrel to the magazine tube on the Police Models. If Mossberg can provide double brazed, machined steel attachment points on their 590 models. Remington should be able to do the same for almost $200.00 more. The 870 Wingmasters show better manufacturing. But they should for what they cost.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    honestly I think a lot of it comes from a lot of peoples first prolonged exposure to firearms was/is the military. older military guys will prefer the 870, and the more recent guys will prefer the 500. why? because that's what they are familiar with.

both are really basic shotguns and both are good guns

if you want to talk about slop, place your 870s and 500s next to a pre ww2 model 12 or 1897, these 80+ year old guns blow the new shotguns out of the water.

personally I haven't decided which im going to go with, I like the 500 because im a bit more familiar with it, but the 870 is also there, ill have to handle both of them back to back to make my final choice

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    When I was a kid, the difference in quality between a 500 and 870 (Wingmaster) was like night and day. Unfortunately Remington dropped their standards down to that of Mossberg on some models, and an Express and 500 are pretty similiar in quality. I would still take an 870 Express (although I would prefer an old Wingmaster for about the same money) over a 500 any day of the week though. Partly due to all the tacky crap Mossberg puts out, (like the shovel handle pump action pistol, big ugly ass muzzle brake thing that increases the percusion, fake suppressor / No Country for Old Men ripoff, etc....) I prefer the cross bolt safety of the Remington, magazine cap on the 870, and their is unlimited aftermarket support for them if your into such a thing. I will give Mossberg some credit for adding the second action bar, thus reducing the gun rattling as bad. The exception for Mossberg is the M590A1, you won't find many Remington guys argue against them. Great feel to it, and built like a tank.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    The only reason I chose mossberg over remington is the ejector.

Mossbergs are user replaceable, if needed, screwed on. Remington needs gunsmith to be done, and not mess up the receiver.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had m500's back before rifled slug bbls............they did well, better than 870's usually.
    But M500's rattle, look and feel cheap IMHO.
    They are thick in the wrist too, which I dislike greatly for wingshooting.

Wingmaster vs Express..................yeah whatever. I've had some smooth Express models and some Wingmasters that were kinda stiff.
    All worked fine, have had over a dozen of them.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    'Cause it works.

My personal carry SG's are the Mossberg 500 and the 590A1 (mil.) Primarily because, being a leftie, I preferred the top safety.

But the 870 was the department issue, and rode in the squad with me many a night, great shotgun, and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to grab up another one if need be.

The Express I have no familiarity with, but as noted in preceeding posts, I've heard it's not near the level of the ol' "riot gun".

:+1: for the venerable 870!

Top Bottom