Why do we keep going back to WalMart? WHY??!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Today was another adventure at WalMart. If I could get stuff anywhere else for the same or similar prices, I would, but . . .

Anyway, today I had a little problem. I had four $10 gift cards that I did not give to anyone from last year, and also did not give them this year. So I figured it was like "found money," and I could buy some ammo at WalMart with them.

When I tried to pay, three of the four went through just fine. One of the four would not work, and the clerk said that it had not been activated (ever). They kept trying to make it work, but kept saying it hadn't been activated. The guy also kept saying that I shouldn't have been able to leave the store with it, which I assumed meant that he was implying that I stole a blank and was trying to get $10 from it.

So he finally got an assistant manager on the phone. I only heard one side of the conversation, but I could tell they were talking about how I must have stolen it and I was trying to defraud them on top of my shoplifting. The conclusion was, "there is nothing we can do."

Well, maybe there was nothing he (the clerk) could do, but that assistant manager could easily have issued me a $10 credit.

Why, and I regret even thinking about this, is it my problem if they failed to activate the card properly? I paid my freakin' $10 for it last December (hopefully I'll be able to find the receipt soon). Why do I lose $10 for their mistake?

Aside from that, one of my "hot buttons" is having my integrity questioned. They didn't explicitly accuse me of stealing it and trying to pass it as legitimate, but there were enough hints that it was clear to me. I am not pleased.

If we buy gift cards from these people, are we supposed to leave the store and come right back to have them checked to make sure they are properly activated?

What if I'd given it as a gift to someone? Then I'd be seriously embarrassed for causing trouble for someone I like! ARGH!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's why I give cash. Gift cards are exactly like cash, except you can only spend it at that one store. It's like saying "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You're right.

You're right.

You're right.

Nothing says, "I love you!" like cash.

I suppose if I just have to give something other than cash, folding, money I could give a VISA or Mastercard gift card that could be used anywhere.

Or just not give presents at all.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like its time for a good ole fashioned stampede and tusking!! Dirty bastards!

You are right too!

I was surprisingly calm the whole time. The two clerks kept apologizing to me, but it wasn't their fault. I did tell them that is was "NOT cool," especially over $10, and that even though they might not be able to do anything, their assistant manager could easily fix the problem.

I didn't even yell or threaten anyone.

Man, I didn't even get the satisfaction of a good tantrum.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo gave me cash for Christmas and I put it in my suppressor fund. The gift fit perfectly and I didn't have to go to the store to exchange it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Skipping over the usual Walmart gun forum jokes (you failed to blade @ 45 degrees, no draw down on the exit greeter guy, etc), I do not understand why hard core gun guys do Walmart.

Personally, I am not interested in saving $3 here and there and giving my savings directly to the PLA of China. If they ever do land somewhere, like Taiwan, those rounds fired will be bought by our own $. That is same reason I tend to not by Nornico products either. Some day China will be a major superpower, the only question is whether they will surpass us using our $'s all the way.

And, yes, I get slammed all the time because the stuff I buy is still 80% made in China, but at least I am trying...

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    It's not just Wal-Mart. We tried to use a Visa gift card that my wife recieved for Xmas @ Outback last Sat. and the waitress came back with it and said she tried to run it through 3 times. Mabey she should have called it in but the point is .....it should have worked and didn't. I still don't know if my wife has figured it out yet because I haven't asked her. Thanks, for the reminder.

exar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You could always go back and tell the store manager on duty what happened and see what they will do. If they refuse, threaten to call corporate. The GM's hate getting chewed out by corporate. One way or another, if you bitch enough, you can get your $10 back.

+1 for cash. I really don't see what the problem is with cash as a gift.:dunno:
    Unless the recipient of your gift is a crack addict and you know they are going to use the cash for drugs, cash works everywhere and isn't questioned.:D

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    That's why I give cash. Gift cards are exactly like cash, except you can only spend it at that one store. It's like saying "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."
    Gift cards are not anything like cash trust me. Last year or the year before I recieved a sharper image one from my sister for Christmas.Took it to the store and was told at the register it was worthless as they where in chapter7 and all the stores where closing. Asking about a refund he gave me an 800 number to call. After 5 min of hitting keys to get to the right thing it basically said under federal law I was going to get nothing. Then this year I heard from a friend who had gotten KB toy cards...same thing they are worthless now and there is no recourse.
    I have told anyone that would listen to never buy gift cards. Oh,and to add insult on CNBC it was listing all the cards that had monthly "usage" fees anywhere from 10 cents to 2 dollars a month that the card was not used during.The only gift card I would give these days are restraunt ones I know the person I am giving it to will use fairly quickly.
    Cash is better,silver coin is even better,gold is king lol.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh,and to add insult on CNBC it was listing all the cards that had monthly "usage" fees anywhere from 10 cents to 2 dollars a month that the card was not used during.

I remember reading about some legislation that was passed to prohibit "expiring" gift cards after one year. I imagine the usage fee is the way they get around that.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Local news in MD had a thing about gift cards the day before X-Mas. Said that one of the biggest X-Mas frauds for gift cards is employees not actually activating it, then pocketing the difference. They said to check each card as active right after issuance.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    Was this at C-ville? Did the cashier have 2 or 3 teeth?:laugh: We go to that one all the time...and I usually get into it with at least one moron while we're there.:rolleyes:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Local news in MD had a thing about gift cards the day before X-Mas. Said that one of the biggest X-Mas frauds for gift cards is employees not actually activating it, then pocketing the difference. They said to check each card as active right after issuance.

That sounds like it could easily have happened to me last December. I bought a whole stack of them. I was paying attention to the best of my ability while not zoning out everything else happening, so someone who had been doing it a while could easily have slipped one or two past me. I wonder if any of the cards I gave as gifts were the same.

Argh.

Well, in the incredibly unlikely event that I ever purchase a gift card again, I will absolutely have them checked immediately after purchase. As in I'll go straight from the cashier to the customer service desk and make them check each and every one in my presence.

But I'm not buying them again, especially from Walmart.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Was this at C-ville? Did the cashier have 2 or 3 teeth?:laugh: We go to that one all the time...and I usually get into it with at least one moron while we're there.:rolleyes:

Yeah, it was C'ville, at the sporting goods counter where the ammo is.

The original guy (an older gentleman) was pretty cool. The younger guy he asked for help was not overtly rude, but he was also the one who was implying I stole the card. I did not get to see or speak with the assistant manager to whom the younger guy spoke on the telephone. I was too irritated to push it further at the time, and still calm enough to just leave the store, so I opted to leave.

Given what NateIU10 mentioned, I'm even more irritated that this became my problem when it was clearly THEIR problem.

I think I'll call Walmart corporate on Monday. I don't know if it will do any good, but it's worth a try.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    Was the older guy kind of heavy? His name is Joe. He doesn't have enough brains to pound $hit out of a rat hole. I've known him my whole like. I buy my ammo at Brownsburg WalMart as they have a LOT more than Crawfordsville. THey are both about the same distance away from me.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Rhino, I know this wont solve your issue with Walmart but it sure would be funny. Let orginize a open carry shopping day at Wally World. We wont really meet up to do this, just everyone go in and do your shopping at the same time. This will make it hard for them to ask everyone to leave (if they even try). They wouldn't know what to do if there were 30 individuals shopping with guns hanging out....:mallninja:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Gift Cards..........................

PLEASE don't shoot the messenger, it isn't Wally World but gift card related!
    This is a cut and paste from an email a friend sent me BEFORE Christmas.

I have NOT done this to anyone..............yet. :D

Maybe my best, most devious revenge/prank EVER!
    This is right up your alley.
    Didn't you once order a load of gravel for someones yard?
    Anyway, my latest and I think maybe my best ever!

1st. Go to Outback buy a $100.00 gift card, it is PROMINENTLY labeled $100.00 (and you also get a $20.00 card for free, a small side benefit)
    2nd. Go back to Outback in a day or two with the wife and some friends
    3rd. Pay for the drinks and dinners with the $100.00 card
    4th. Total with tip, (be generous it is the holidays) came to $91.87 They ask if you want the change, you tell them you will just hang onto the card since it still has a small balance on it.
    5th. This is really where the fun begins, take the PROMINENTLY labeled $100.00 gift card in it's original gift card holder, "anonymously" mail the Outback gift card to an annoying friend, family member, coworker, vendor or just someone you want to **** with. It still says in big bold print on the front of the card $100.00, but it is now only worth $8.13!

Now your victim will go out with wife, family, friends, co-workers and say, "this one is on me, get whatever you want" not realizing he has a WHOPPING $8.13 to spend! When he gets the check, hands his server the card, they run the gift card and Va-Wa-La, he gets the bill for the amount over and above what you left on the card!
    And its, MERRY CHRISTMAS *******!

I think if you were careful and took the time you might even be able to leave less than 5 bucks on the card if you try real hard!

Tell everyone Merry Christmas, this is my gift to you!
    Enjoy!

image1031200814140PM63ld.gif

Top Bottom