• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    I've decided I'm in the market for a semi auto shotty.

I had my eyes on a mossberg 935. Seen one at the shop today, and
    the salesman told me 2.75 shells won't cycle it!

I want one mainly for making empty cardboard boxes dance in the yard,
    and potentially for home defense. So I'd like a shorter barrel like 18.5 to
    maybe 22''.

Most of all I want something cheap to feed, and south of the $700 range.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have two BENELLI M1 SUPER 90, but They are still new in the box, I shoot my BERETTA 1201 FP & it's an excellent shotgun it handle the 2.75 shells with no problems

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Any semi-auto shotgun is good for shooting at boxes or my favorite, traffic cones. The Mossy 935 will cycle very heavy loads of 2 3/4 inch loads. I have 2 of them. But those loads are not cheap. Heck I just passed on a Winchester 1400 for $100 today. The best advice here is to try to stick with a more modern 12ga semi. The older ones are a PITA to clean. The newer ones can be broken down, cleaned and put back together in 10mins.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010

maybe 22''.

I cannot speak for finding a barrel of that length, but I would toss out the idea of looking for a Remington 11-87. Mine cycles any 2 3/4" and 3" that I have thrown at it.

Also, as above, I would also suggest looking at the Stoegers based on what you are looking for.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    ^^^ This ^^^

For what you described as the intended use, you really can't get anything better than a Saiga 12. High volume plinking, and home defense is where the Saiga rules.

clonies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011

maybe 22''.

Late 60's-70's Remington 870 Police. Really any kind of older Remington Police. I recently purchased one that looks like it was made in the late 80's-early 90's. I'll be able to find out when once I get it and pull the barrel to check the date code.

ETA: Just re-read your whole question. If you're really looking for an el-cheapo, why not just go to a pawn shop?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I know you said you want to stay south of the $700 mark, but if you can swing an extra $300 then I would recomend the FN SLP line. Mine cost right at 1k plus i bought a handfull of chokes a sling and a light load piston for 1/8oz and lighter loads. It comes with 2 pistons one for loads up to 11/2 oz and one for 11/2 and heavier. The total cost of the package was around $1200. Its super easy to dissassemble, clean and swap pistons (takes longer to get the barrel off than to swap pistons). I HAD a saiga 12 and sold it for a few reasons but mostly bc it wasnt a "do it all gun" like the FN is. The FN takes invector chokes and can go from hunting to defense work just by switching the choke/ammo. The middle piston handles 90% of 12 gauge stuff and spends the most time in my gun. 23/4 loads cycle it just fine. I did months of research looking for a semi-auto shotgun and i chose the FN and i coudnt be happier. Yeah it "ONLY" holds 9 rounds, but it also doesnt have the ugly and hard to manuver with mag hanging down to your knees. Check out the FN I think youll be pleasntly surprised. Mine has close to 1k rounds through it without malfunction. Oh I almost forgot..... THE FN IS MADE IN THE U.S.A! ;)

Last edited:

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Find a nice older A5. They can be had for south of your price point and are solid guns. I have them made in BE and in JN and both work very well. 2 3/4" is plenty for game. Longer barrel the better! Also, they are a bit heavier so the recoil is not as bad as with say a light pump shotgun. My old Remington beat my shoulder worse than the .44MAG...

Top Bottom