Which is more common in Indiana -- 270 or 30-06?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I hunt private land and once used the 30-06 03A3 that my dad got thru DCM after WW2. Purely sentimental, Dad got a sporter stock from Herters or Bishop with some really nice wood.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    30-06 is the more common of the two. But there are way more 243. And beyond that, there are way way more .308. It all just kinda depends on the land you are hunting. .308 will kill anything on this cotenant. I've taken a lot of deer with a 357 magnum rifle.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What do you already have? Do you have a stashe of .30-06 already? If so - then get one of those.

If not...then why beat yourself up unnecessarily with a .30-06 when a more modern cartridge will literally do the same exact things, balistically speaking, with less recoil?

Do you already have .270 Win ammo stockpiled? If so - then get one of those.

If not - then there are more modern cartridges that will literally do the same exact things, ballistically speaking, but in a shorter (lighter) action?

That said, the both of the above are tried and true cartridges. Both of them will take almost every single game species on this continent - though the .270 may be a tad light for moose and brown bear.

For my $, though, If I were starting out from scratch, I'd pick 6.5CM over both of the above due to shorter action, ballistic efficiency of the cartridge/bullet, and less-stout recoil of the .06 and .308.

Top Bottom