• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    its been many years since i have been camping, I live in fishers, and have a family now, and wanna start camping. What are some good recommendations around the area? We dont mind a little drive but will save the trips to southern indiana until we are more experienced. Wouldnt mind doing a little fishing. Basically we got a big tent, and wanna camp. As far as fire wood, i thought i heard alot about not transporting firewood, they have it there i'm sure. Any and all recommendations, suggestions on bringing stuff(i was told a pie iron is awesome), things like that are great information. Thanks

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Turkey Run is an awesome state park. Some of the trails even provide natural air conditioning on hot summer days. You have to plan EARLY for state parks though. They sell out months in advance.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Camp Modoc is good, they have a small golf course too. Unfortunately there are a few "add on" activities aimed mainly at children but they do have a nice lake as well.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Another good advice at state parks, is to pay the extra to not be in the primitive area. ALOT of weirdoes will camp in the primitive area. Plus, you get water and elec...I know your thinking "why do I need electric in a tent?" A couple of fans can be a life saver if the temps are up.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I heard quite a few sections of the dunes are closed due to the possible sinkholes. Supposedly the federal government is helping the state park with believe it or not - ground penetrating radar..... I just think their looking for Al Capone's lost treasure again.... but you might want to check with the Dunes State Park before making the trip.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I suggest Rockville Lake Park. Small lake, good bank fishing and nice pier. Boats with trolling motors welcome. Trails, playgrounds and a nice shower house. Reasonably priced too. They have camp store and firewood. About one mile north of Rockville In.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Another good advice at state parks, is to pay the extra to not be in the primitive area. ALOT of weirdoes will camp in the primitive area. Plus, you get water and elec...I know your thinking "why do I need electric in a tent?" A couple of fans can be a life saver if the temps are up.

I was offended at first cause I always stay in primitive areas...but...I am a weirdo lol :40oz:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    LOL Kramer!!! Hey we were at Chain of Lakes about 10 years ago; there was a transvestite camping ALONE in a tent....IT would always wave at me and my daughter when we rode by.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    You can not go wrong with Brown County or Springmill State Parks.

I do feel Brown Countys camprground is nicer, plus, being in the town of Nashville, that is definitely a bonus.

If your looking for something in your backyard, Mounds State Park in Anderson is nice too. Not as much to do, but it is a clean place to stay.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We camp at Lincoln State Park down just west of Santa Claus(holiday world) once every year or so. Stay for a few days. Go to Holiday World....fun stuff. They have a nice beach too...I know I know...but it is a nice beach for a state park.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    thats eventually what i plan on doing, is camping near holiday world. I'll lived in indiana for a long time and still havent been to holiday world.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    France Park - swimming, fishing(3ponds), mntn bike trails, frisbee golf and a water slide - wouldnt say its a 5star resort but its pretty cool - they also have spoonbill catfish bigger than CM and Skulldad put together - theyre frickn HUGE!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    thats eventually what i plan on doing, is camping near holiday world. I'll lived in indiana for a long time and still havent been to holiday world.

I camp at the Ferdinand State Forest a lot. its pretty close to Holiday World and the campground is really nice. There is no electricity if you need it, but there is water. It's cheap and fairly secluded, and I've never really noticed any weirdos out there.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    White river campground would be a great close campground with fishing, be a good/close place to get your feet wet again and try out your gear before trying out farther away camp grounds.

Top Bottom