• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Thinking of bringing my young family in a pop up camper to see the zoo and NRA convention. Where would you camp within 30 minutes or so of the convention center? Clean facilities and security is my biggest concern.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm afraid there isn't a lot of camping to be done in/around Indy. To my knowledge, one cannot camp in Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park or Eagle Creek State Park. I've heard of a Raceway Campgrounds and Indy Lakes Campground but I've had no experience with either.

I'm interested to see what suggestions people come up with. Wish I could be more help.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    There is a KOA right off 70 @ mount comfort road... its outside marion county and away from that typical riff wraff.... Don't know about facilities though I have never been down the drive..... Just down the road from that is another privately owned place that you always see lots of decent appearing families around it... might be something to look into.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I know you said 30 minutes but there is nothing great within that radius. Raceway Campgrounds as mentioned above is a huge empty grass field next to the drag racing track west of town.

If it was me, I would make a long weekend of it and camp out at Shades SP. It would be about an hour downtown but is absolutely a great place. You could still do your day trips to Indy but also enjoy a great trail system and nice campground as well.

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Check out Lake Haven Retreat in Southport. 10 minutes to Indy. I have not been there but I live nearby. Check out their website.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Shades is a great place to take the family, but is a little bit of a drive to Indy. The best places I can think of are the KOA off 70, as was already mentioned, or Mounds State park in Anderson, probably about the same distance as the KOA. I cannot comment on that KOA specifically, but I have been to a few in my life, and all were decent.

Mounds is not really a destination park, and not usually very busy. There are some nice trails, and a few museums there, so there are a few things to pass the time you dot spend at the convention.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    +1 on Johnson County Park. 10 minutes from a big outlet mall at Edinburg and I-65. The Zoo (new orangatan exhibit) and the world famous Childrens Museum. Lots of options. Something for everyone!

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I can give a thumbs up to the KOA. My wife's uncle works there when they're in town(They are professional retired campers...travel the country in the winter wherever its warm, come home to Indy when its warm here). I was up there a couple weeks ago and the facilities were nice. Right off the interstate...easy on/off. I give it 2 thumbs up if I was looking for a place.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I know you said 30 minutes but there is nothing great within that radius. Raceway Campgrounds as mentioned above is a huge empty grass field next to the drag racing track west of town.

If it was me, I would make a long weekend of it and camp out at Shades SP. It would be about an hour downtown but is absolutely a great place. You could still do your day trips to Indy but also enjoy a great trail system and nice campground as well.

Absolutely! OP, if you have the time, this would be well worth it.

Also, great to hear that you're going to tour the Indianapolis Zoo. Great place!

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    +1 on Johnson Co Park. It's also near the Atterbury Shooting Complex , with rifle, pistol and Trap ranges available ($7/hour). See the link below for a map to the park

Johnson County Park has camping, with water and electrical hook ups. They also have a new shower house and laundry. The are about 25 miles south of Indy just south of Franklin Indiana....(between Franklin and Trafalgar off SR 252)

Read all about it here: JOCO Park Campgrounds | Johnson County Parks and Recreation

Good luck

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    There is a KOA right off 70 @ mount comfort road... its outside marion county and away from that typical riff wraff.... Don't know about facilities though I have never been down the drive..... Just down the road from that is another privately owned place that you always see lots of decent appearing families around it... might be something to look into.

This KOA is pretty nice and in an area that is pretty low crime (kinda country) I have been to this campground. There are restaurants and an RV dealer very close. It is right off of I-70 and a straight shot to the Downtown Indy Convention Center

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I talked to my wife's uncle that works at the KOA and he said that they have about 25 or 30 campers rolling in this weekend for the NRA convention...but he didn't say 'its full'. So should still be room.

showmeapair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Noblesville/Brown Co
    You might try White River Campground in Hamilton Co. Its near Noblesville (Cicero technically) which is north of Indy. It's next to highway 37, probably a little farther than 30 minutes. Hamilton County, Indiana / White River Campground Nice place, it's also right next to Kotweei Park, (no camping) Hamilton County, Indiana / Strawtown Koteewi "Prairie" Park ....had to make a first post sometime, hope those links work!

Plus one on this. Easy commute down 37 to downtown. Prolly 30 minutes more or less. Very nice campground.

Top Bottom